• Clearing my Calendar

Horrible Day at Work Rant

Okay so, today was one of the worst days in my career. It started out well enough at 7:00 this morning. My 7:00 and 8:00 dogs arrived on time and I was well on my way to a great day and the prospect of getting out early, let alone on time at 3:30.

9:00 rolls around, when a bather who Iíll rename Ben, is supposed to show up to do the bath only dogs scheduled for the day. His first three appointments show up but Ben does not. We try calling his phone but it goes straight to voice mail. Great. Ben has a history of calling about a half hour into his shift and calling in ďsickĒ, so we thought this was one of those days.

At 10:30, after us three groomers had resolved to somehow squeezing in one of his dogs apiece, Ben calls. Heís sorry but his mother didnít wake him up. Heís 20! Iím sorry but my mother didnít wake me up this morning either (and hasnít since I was uh, six?)! So weíre just glad heís going to come in so we donít have to worry about doing the 11:00 bath only dogs.

He doesnít show. He doesnít show. Weíre fuming mad because he keeps calling to try and call in sick and we, or the managers in the store, wonít let him. 11:45 rolls around (I could already feel the bolts in my neck loosen, threatening to detach from my head altogether) and I pick up the phone as it rings. Itís my buddy, Ben: ďIím on my way. Iíll be there in 15 minutes.Ē

12:30 rolls around, when the evening shift of groomers shows up, including our Salon Manager, who Iíll rename Stacey. Now, weíve been having issues with Stacey lately because sheíll fly off the handle at just about anything (she just found out sheís pregnant which explains a lot of her irrationality and emotional outbursts). But weíre glad that Ben shows up AFTER she does! Nearly four hours after his shift was to start! Weíre waiting for the fireworks to comeÖ. And they donít.

Instead she starts getting snippy with US! Because thereís hair on the floor, thereís a dryer out taking up space, whatís this suitcase thing doing out? Whose cell phone is this? What is this doing HERE for? HELLO! Weíve just gone through the last three hours batherless (which means we have to field the calls that inevitably come on a Saturday AND do his dogs AND check in his dogs ANDÖ ) and sheís complaining to US?

We were disappointed, to say the least. This from the woman who took one of the groomers into the office yesterday to complain about and write her up for excessive tardiness and absences (which, granted, are inconvenient, but she has a medical condition that requires such unreliability) and kept her in the office and made her cry for TWO hours!

So, I keep my mouth shut so I donít fly off the deep end and do something Iíll later regret (donít know why. Seems like everyone else can do as they please and not get fired. But you watch, Iíd be the first ďexampleĒ). When I take the dog Iím working on into the back kennel area to switch him out for another dog, I see her in the bathing area with Ben. Talking. Joking. Laughing. With the delinquent who, in my opinion, should not have come in at all because, if I had been manager, he wouldnít have a job anymore.
    Iím so angry right now. Iím hurt. I feel like Iíve been cheated out of something. I was at work for nearly 15 hours today and this jerk left TWO hours after he arrived because his ďshift was overĒ. !!!!!!!!

My job is hard enough between the dogs and pet parents themselves, not to mention my injury is inconveniencing enough with all the breaks I have to take to keep the pain/swelling down. I donít need this!

Iím angry because my perfectly good Saturday afternoon has been ruined. Not so much by one thing, but by the whole situation. I was late getting home, which meant I was late for dinner, which I was late for family time. Iím hurt because I felt like I was being targeted for something I didnít do and, by the way, have NEVER done. Iím trying to forget it so I can have quality time with Bryan but I decided I have to get this out to try for that goal.

I have to know whether this guy was even written up, let alone threatened with his job. I can honestly say I donít know if he was. But I need to know because if he wasnít, I want to confront Stacey on this behavior of his and hers in a civil manner, but I donít want to if she has already done something. Iím going to lay it all on the line and let her know I donít appreciate being treated the way I was treated today.

Honestly, if I had been manager, I would have come in early and done the three bath dogs instead of making three groomers, who will NOT get paid for it, do it. That is the reason why she has the gold name bag, why she gets the higher commission, and why she gets the weekly and quarterly bonuses. She gets those things because it is compensation for being inconvenienced when an employee doesnít measure up. WE donít get those things!

I really wish Iíd get promoted.

Iím sorry, thanks for the rant.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Banned User

Re: Horrible Day at Work Rant

Awwwwwww I am so sorry this happened. It used to happen when i was a cook years ago, the other cook would call in late, and not show up for hours or not at all. Did they get in trouble, nope but I used to get so upset I could scream. I remember those days and am glad they are gone, well not quit I had a bad day at work to LOL! see my thread, about the neighbor. Seems there are some who want to push your bottons, Me I just think it must be a full moon!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

PROMOTED?
    Forget that, ounds like you need a new job.
    Then tell Stacey off as you walk out the door
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• For You!

I'm so sorry - it's really awful when you have a bad day that really ruins your weekend. I hope that it works itself out.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• And, THEN she said...

OHH girl been there done that sooo many times..and when that happens you ALWAYS get the parents from hell as we call them..the most annoying pet parents on the face of the earth..

or try having the dumbest human on the face of the planet as a bather..cant mix shampoo right, and dont even let him think about mixing dip! cant handle dogs for anything, complains when its time to clean up at the end of the day, and the grande finale..slopping mineral oil all over a poodle's topknot! and of course the topknot wont sissor right and mom is one of the monster pet parents..luckily it wasnt my dog.. it was the grooming managers dog..and after weeks and weeks of slipups and goofs..the ol oil in the topknot was the last straw..last i saw of that bather he was walking out the door sans job and his butt up where his shoulder blades should have been..

hang in there girl, sounds like you had one of my saterday's from hell..hopefully sunday (if you work) will be slow..((((((((HUGS))))))))))

• And, THEN she said...

question.. Trace are you grooming for petsmart or petco? seriously those places will burn you out quick...Im SO much happier since I started grooming for myself....not much stress, I can take what I want and how many I can handle that day (ive had to do this cause its a day to day thing with my cat bite on what I can do)

you really ought to think about grooming for yourself..I started out of my garage in Cal, and now I do it in our bathroom here..easy clean up, tub is right there..and its not as hard to start up as you may think...and im just as busy now as i was during busy time at either stores if not more..alot of people like the idea of taking their dogs to a more "homey" place, and the dogs dont seem as freaked out..

• Banned User

I take my baby to a neighbor lady who had done all our animals for years and years. ( since my first dog 15 years ago.)
    She does it at home and has a cute enclosed porch she does it on. She has the bath tub there, and all the equipment and the dogs have noce beds in there cages. She even does moms cat. She is so good, and the dogs are less stressed then going to the vet.
    She charges me 20.00 for my dog, and I love it. He is small of course but I bet this gal gets a firtune, she does 10 dogs a day, and the bigger the dog the more money ( my dog is maltese and small)
    My baby looks so pretty when he is done and smells so good.

• Clearing my Calendar

Quick edit: I worked 10 hours today, not 15. I guess I combined 10 and getting off at 5:00 into one number!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I just... needed to get it out.

I work for one of the big ones, yes. I actually like it a lot. I've been with the company for three years as of June 7th. Every salon I've worked in (It's been three, four if you count my training store that I was at for a month) has been pretty good at being flexible as far as how many you can take or what size or whatever. The only thing the big wigs do not like is being biased toward breeds. Luckily for me, I don't have a bias toward any of 'em. Chows included.

The only thing I don't like is the upkeep of equipment. I feel that if we're forking over so much of our profit to 'em, they should at least pay for the sharpening of our blades and shears. But you won't get that anywhere!

For a while, before I was injured, we were considering opening a salon of our own. Bryan was interested in apprenticing to learn to repair/maintain equipment so we could have a salon that was also a mobile service for repair to area salons. I even had a few people interested in joining but, I don't want to do this forever. And I especially don't want to do it for too much longer than another few years with this wrist problem. I just don't want to do great damage, ya know?

As far as wanting to be promoted, I have a lot of great visions as to where I can take a salon. What I'd *really* like to do is be the head honcho in charge of the services in a district. That includes the nitty gritty details of the district's salons and I'm sooo up for that! But you have to go through a long chain of command. Oh well.

I work tomorrow and, last I checked, the schedule didn't look light. At least I'm only looking at five dogs. Whew.

I love what I do. I can just do without all the BS that comes with it. Part of the reason why I was so hurt is, I really like Stacey. She's the first manager that's ever treated the employees with respect, integrity, and compassion. But, since January... I dunno. She can't pass it all off on the pregnancy, she's only a few weeks along. We got along really well, but I've lost a lot of respect for her, if not all of it after today.

It's just really frustrating. Thanks again for letting me vent guys. Sometimes you just wanna:

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I would totally not put up with that kind of BS. I just do not understand how someone can be 4 hours late, then leave 2 hours later and not be fired. It's.... mind boggling.

• My cuties!

Not that this is any excuse, but do you know if Stacey was on fertility drugs to get pregnant? Some can make you VERY bitchy! (I speak from experience). That could explain why she's been moody for awhile.

Sorry for the sucky day! I hope today is better!