Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Question Wedding Etiquette Question - Thank You Cards

Hi ladies!! (And "ladies" too! )

I have a huge question about wedding etiquette -

Nowadays, I've noticed that some wedding gifts arrive up to 6 months prior to the wedding - sent directly to the home.

Should Thank You cards be sent right away, or can they all be sent at once after the wedding??

We're already acquiring a few things, but we haven't gotten the cards yet - I figured we'd send them just after our return from the honeymoon.

What should be done in this case??

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Wedding Etiquette Question - Thank You Cards

Yay I'm a "laydee!"

Wait until after you are married. And hell you even have a year from then to get the cards out (technically).

I would say definitely send a thank you card now (or within a week or two after you receive an early present) especially since six months is a long time to wait for a thank you card.
    I would also make mention of what they gave you and hopefully a little comment about it (I can't wait to use the new crystal bowl or I have a perfect place for the vase in my front room).

Get a box of thank you cards for those early presents so you can send them a thank you right away. Plus you will have a ton of thank yous to write after the wedding... Might as well get some of them out of the way!

• All you need is LOVE

Well what I did was a thank you photo card. Saved the time of writing all those thank you cards. We went on our honey moon and by the time we came back we had the cards and were able to mail them out right away.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

All I know is about wedding etiquette is that you don't laugh during the cerimony or say 'Look who's wearing white!!!'
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Mexihick, y'all

I'd send them all after the wedding, when you're done with your honeymoon. Thank you cards are the biggest pain in the *** I have ever experienced. I made my husband do half of them (big mistake), I got so sick and tired of them. How in the world do you personalize 100 cards without your hand cramping up? You don't.

• Life is Great!

I found it easiest to send as soon as i got the gift, but if you dont have cards yet, it is ok to wait. just keep a list of whom gave what so you can personalize the notes. instead of waiting until after the wedding for all of them, i would recommend starting them as soon as you get the cards, that way its not a whole lot at once. also make sure someone has a pen and tape at the wedding to either tape cards to gifts or write names on them, we had to figure out a few that had no name, luckily we had a few loose cards and were able to figure it out(mom or dad knew what a couple of friends had given and we deduced it from there) also have a good place to keep all the loose cards(i used my purse) this way were able to deposit checks/cash before we left on the honeymoon and not worry about losing anything and we left the giftcards we received with a trusted family member until we returned(we went from the wedding up to knotts, then flew out the next morning so it was a bit hectic) also if you are going out of town for an extended time, be sure to let your local post office know so they will hold any packages you get until you get back. most important, have fun!!
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Start 'em now. It'll be much easier in the long run. People who get thank yous now won't know if they didn't match what everyone else got, and they won't care if your stationery doesn't match. They will want to make sure that you have actually received their gift though, so you need to acknowledge that right away. Don't leave your guests hanging for 6 more months, that's not cool.
    A signature should go here.

• For old time sake

I'd say send a card as soon as you receive a gift. This way you avoid the "Well you never said thank you for the gift i gave you 6 months ago"
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP.
    Start 'em now. It'll be much easier in the long run. People who get thank yous now won't know if they didn't match what everyone else got, and they won't care if your stationery doesn't match. They will want to make sure that you have actually received their gift though, so you need to acknowledge that right away. Don't leave your guests hanging for 6 more months, that's not cool.
    Good points!

I also like CL's idea of photo cards.

Ultimately, I can make them easily - I just need to buy blank cards and then print 'em as needed.

Would it be tacky to actually print the text also??? I just like to type things and then select a nice font and stuff. Or, should they be handwritten?

• Life is Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Good points!

Ultimately, I can make them easily - I just need to buy blank cards and then print 'em as needed.

Would it be tacky to actually print the text also??? I just like to type things and then select a nice font and stuff. Or, should they be handwritten?
    well, miss manners says handwritten, but i dont always listen to her anyways. to me its the thought that counts. if you personalize the text for each thank you(thank you for the mickey toaster, we will use it often), then i think printed is ok, just as long as you dont send the same to everyone(thank you for your gift, we love it) i have atrocious writing so i print a lot myself, heck, i even send an ecard thank you when im pressed for time and keep forgetting(or dont have any stamps)
    {:
    Marci
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Good points!

I say do what ever you like best. You can do a photo thank you card then add in the envelope a little typed out note. This will save on $.
    I am all about that.

• Mexihick, y'all

If it's a personalized message, then I would type it. That way you might be more apt to put a little bit more effort into your response.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    All I know is about wedding etiquette is that you don't laugh during the cerimony or say 'Look who's wearing white!!!'

LOL

Disneyphile...

I don't know the official etiquette. But if you're inviting a lot of guests and gifts are already arriving, maybe at the end of each month you can write thank you notes for any of the gifts you received during that 30 day time period just to save yourself time later! But the month before the wedding, I think anyone who has been married will understand why you're not sending a thank you note then!

And I think you have up to 6 months after to send a thank you note!

My only pet peeve with thank you notes and invitiations too is when they come by e-mail. I would much rather have a piece of paper in my hand!

Oh, they would definitely be a custom message for each one - the typing would just save me a LOT of time, especially with how much I have to get done over the next 5-6 months. We'd still sign them by hand, of course.

It's not that I don't want to spend the time to hand write them all- it's just that I don't have the time prior to our big day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast