Thread: Curly Tops

Curly Tops

Okay, I know I'm not the only one here with naturally curly hair. How do you ladies care for your hair? What do you use?

I'm looking for product suggestions from shampoo, conditioner, serums, mousse, gel, hairsprays, etc. Right now I'm just using Pantene's shampoo (2-4 times a week) and conditioner (almost daily) called Hydrating Curls. It works mostly, but I cannot help to think there is something better out there for dry/curly/breakable hair. I do NOT use any sort of heat on my hair...no hair dryers, no irons, etc. I always let it air dry, mainly because I am way too lazy to hold a dryer or iron to my hair. I also do NOT use a brush, but only a wide tooth comb right after I condition it to make sure the conditioner is distributed evenly and remove any tangles I couldn't get with my fingers.

With the heat and humidty lately, I've been going "au natural" and some days my hair curls very nicely and then others it totally frizzes out. When it frizzes, I just put a little conditioner in it and put it in 2 french braids with a part down the middle. It's still fairly long even after I got 2-3 inches cut off last month.

I've used Frizz-Ease and Garnier's line of styling products in the past, they are okay...work some days, don't work others.

So...I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• horsin' around!

Re: Curly Tops

it's so funny you should say this today!!! took a quick glance of myself in the car mirror before exiting to head into the grocery store...& this is the thought that went through my mind..."on the day God created my hair...He was having either a realllly bad day...or a day with a great sense of humor in it!"

I've probably spent thousands of $$$ over the years on that 'magical' product....haven't quiet found it yet....and then when i find combos of things that work..by the time they're gone..i've forgotten what worked!
    I love my straightener...but i love my curls more..only thing is they have such a 'mind of their own'..my kids say i don't have hair...i've got poodle fur! yay me.
    so...fresh from the store today is a new victim..umm..bottle..of Tresemme' Smooth No Frizz shine spray...gee could they fit any other words in there? personally...it looks like a bottle of water...but then again they know people w/ hair like ours will try anything once!
    i'll let you know how/if it works!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Another curly girl here! It is soooooo hard to find good products for curls, and forget going to a salon... they always want to straigten my hair, no matter how much I tell them "NO, I like it curly". Maroons.

Anyway... here's my routine.

I have hair almost down to my waist, so at bedtime I wrap it up in a bun. I started doing this to keep my other half from choking on it, or accidentally pulling it in the middle of the night, but I've found it helps keep my hair from getting tangled too.

I used to use "Making Waves" shampoo and conditioner from Graham Webb, but it was just discontinued. I've recently discovered John Frieda's "Brilliant Brunette" line, and I just love it! It makes my hair super soft, and smells like cocoa. I only shampoo my scalp, and let the suds run down the rest of it. I don't scrub my head either, that just tangles my hair. I use lots of conditioner on it, and comb through with the conditioner on using my fingers only.

I too only use a wide toothed comb, I never use heat on my hair, and let it air dry. I use the John Frieda Frizz Ease Dream Curls spray... it works great for me... well, most of the time. I tried the Brilliant Brunette spray, and it just made my hair crispy.

I spray my hair with the Dream Curls once when its been towel dried (just squeezed, NOT rubbed with the towel), and again when its almost completely air dried.

If I'm going out in the evening, I'll de-frizz and fluff my hair with a spray bottle that has a mixture of a little Dream Curls, a little Infusium conditioner, and mostly water. Works wonders.

Whew, that sounds like a lot of work, but it really does feel easy. Much easier than when I was trying to torture my hair into being straight, that's for sure!!!!

Any other products you ladies suggest? Anyone know a decent stylist who know's how to handle curly hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Gay Man

I have curls galore - lots of fine hair that either curls or frizzes or both.

The ONE product I swear by is Bumble and Bumble Curl Cream. It is expensive as hell, but my hair ends up looking really great when I use it and not so great when I don't.

I also use Sebastian Laminates Body which seems to weigh down the frizzy (ie:grey) hairs a bit so they stay controlled.

I've been using the Redkin line of curl enhancing products and love the shampoo and conditioner and their finishing spray, but nothing comes close to the B&B Curl Cream. It's worth the price many times over.

I never brush my hair - only comb thru once after I wash it and I never use heat. It dries nicely - and much better - on it's own. I often comb it out, let it do it's wave thing then tie it in a scarf to dry. It seems to contain itself better. The necessary badness I do is I color it every 6-8 weeks.

Mine's fairly short (for me) at the moment. It's at my chin and has many layers. A good cut makes almost as much difference as B&B products.

I love the ease of curly hair and I wouldn't change it if you paid me.

• Banned User

yep curly hair here to, and I have always just blow dried it with a high powered dryer, round brush and smoothed it out and it take friz out and to much curl. my hair curls around the brush. I love it as I never have to have a perm and my hair though I have always hated it, makes me now happy since I do not have to keep getting perms etc. I like the fact I can blow it dry into a style and go. no special shampoos or conditioners, jhust a good old fashioned hair dryer.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    The ONE product I swear by is Bumble and Bumble Curl Cream. It is expensive as hell, but my hair ends up looking really great when I use it and not so great when I don't.
    Where do you find this, and how expensive is expensive? Is it a lotion type product, or thicker cream than that? I wonder because my hair is REALLY fine, and too much product weighs it down and makes it stringy.

I love the ease of curly hair and I wouldn't change it if you paid me.
    Ditto!!!

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Hmmm...I was wondering the same thing about where to get the Bumble and Bumble. I think I have heard someone else mention it too at one point, but I could never find it.

Funny you mention Infusium and Brilliant Brunette because I have been eyeing both lately. What exactly does Brilliant Brunette do? Bring out your natural hair color? Does it have a dye in it? My natural hair color is what I call "blackish brown."

I've never chemically treated my hair. I'm saving that for when the grays start showing up.

And hakunamarkarla...you can use a hair dryer and a brush? If I did that regularly, I'd have dried out hair with lots of breakage.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Gay Man

Search for a B&B salon on their site. Also, take a look at the Curl Conscious products. I use the fine to medium hair products and they don't weigh my hair down at all, but keep it from frizzing and give mee wonderful curls.

Carlton and Linear salons also carry these products. I go to a local salon to get the stuff, but it is not the salon I get my hair cut at. I like my current stylist.

And, by expensive.....well, I buy the super size bottle of curl cream, which lasts me about 8 months and it is (gulp) $85. But, I've tried to go cheaper and my hair looks like crap. I figure $10 a month is doable and I save by dying my hair myself every other time (sometimes 2x).

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    Hmmm...I was wondering the same thing about where to get the Bumble and Bumble. I think I have heard someone else mention it too at one point, but I could never find it.

Funny you mention Infusium and Brilliant Brunette because I have been eyeing both lately. What exactly does Brilliant Brunette do? Bring out your natural hair color? Does it have a dye in it? My natural hair color is what I call "blackish brown."

I've never chemically treated my hair. I'm saving that for when the grays start showing up.

And hakunamarkarla...you can use a hair dryer and a brush? If I did that regularly, I'd have dried out hair with lots of breakage.
    I do my hair every day, and yes I have to have it trimed about ever 2 months. But I have frizzy hair, no real curl, just major frizz. if I let it go it does not look good it looks crazy
    The hot dryer and the round brush acually does wonders and my hair curls around the brush, with out that I would look like a total mop head.
    brrrrrrr it gives me chills just thinking about it Lol!

it looks sort of like this with out blow drying it.

very scary!!

• Oh bother!

I really like the styling milk from Dove. It comes in a pump bottle (like moisturizer) and is very light. It can be used on wet or dry hair (I like to use mine wet/post shower.) It only costs about $3.00 but for me works as well or better than some of the expensive salon products.

(My hair looks quite like Debra Messing's before she started using the flatiron.)
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    Brilliant Brunette doesn't have dye in it, but supposedly brings out natural highlights. I don't think it does, I just like it because it makes my hair super soft, and it smells fantastic!

I do color my hair about four times a year. I have LOTS of grey.

• I'm your huckleberry.

And, by expensive.....well, I buy the super size bottle of curl cream, which lasts me about 8 months and it is (gulp) $85. But, I've tried to go cheaper and my hair looks like crap. I figure $10 a month is doable and I save by dying my hair myself every other time (sometimes 2x).
    That's not tooooo bad. I spend $10 a month on the John Frieda stuff. I looked at the website and it appears they have a small size that would be good to sample. I think I'll check it out!!! Thanks NA!

• Newbie.

Here is a picture of my neice, visiting Goofy's garden in Toontown last month. Her hair is natural. I don't know what she uses, if you really want to know, I'll ask my sister. But she sure seems to be excited about sitting on that pumpkin! What do you think? This proud uncle just has to post this pic, hope you don't mind
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• no flash photography...

my hair is curly...I have a love hate relationship with it. Most of the time it's in a ponytail, espicially at DL. The humdity down in the valley makes my hair frizz, but up here in the desert I can wash it through some mousse or gel in and it's good to go.

so, products:

I have oily hair so i wash and condition my hair everyday. Right now I'm using fructose sleek and shine. (for me it does not matter if the shampoo is for curly hair or not.) I ahve used pantene, but it clogs the drains up.

I then towel dry and apply pantene leave in conditioner, and either mousee or curly hair gel. The gel gets scrunched ina nd I use a difuser on low to get it to curl. If I go down in the humidity after applying these products my hair gets weighed doen and sticky feeling. (I also use this other produnt that is a bit oily feelingbut it controls frizz and adds shine.)

oh, and I also had layers out in to help it curl more. I have decided to stop fighting the curl and embrace it....LOL