Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Caffeine withdrawl headaches

Caffeine withdrawl headaches.

I've been attempting to cut out caffeine, and have the massive headaches as a result. But these headaches are so bad that I can't concentrate and walking around at work is getting harder and harder. What is the best thing to take for these headaches?
    I've tried tynol, ib profen, two I's and a T, 2 T's, 2 I's....nothing helps.

Any suggestions??
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• love my friends

Re: Caffeine withdrawl headaches

caffeine will help Just kidding.. I know I have been thru this when i havent had any coffee for a few days.. my mom compltely went off caffeien and said nothing helped her but TIME.. after about 3-4 days she was ok.. good luck.. I couldnt do it .,. I love my coffee

Friends for life

• Just Me

Avoid Excederine and Midol. Those 2 have almost as much caffiene as Vivarin.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Tried to not drink Soda (ie Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper), (i'm not a coffee person) and I failed. My entire family drinks sodas so it got hard, plus the headaches wouldn't go away long enough for me to concentrate for school.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'd recommend not going cold turkey. Instead, try to slowly limit what you take in.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah just cutting back and not going cold turkey is a big help. I drink nothing but water for the most part at work (unless someone does a Starbucks run... then all bets are off) then have 1 can of soda at night (usually with dinner).

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Double your water intake, you need to clean out your system. Since the kidneys tend to do this, you want lotsa water.

Yes, you will be going to the bathroom frequently.

Herbal--ginko bilboa (sic) might help some.

Exercise, increasing your heartrate will increase the bloodflow. Even if it's just walking your dog for a wee bit everyday.

Hobbies. The pain reminds you that you quit. Don't give it an opportunity. DO SOMETHING to distract yourself. When I quit smoking--my house was immaculate. I cleaned to keep myself busy. Read. Because of just going to the mall. Spending money is fun, but it's expensive.

Peace and good luck,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

wow cafeine gives you headaches, I never knew. I do not do much cafeine it puts me to sleep. Yeah I am one of those who can do cafeine major and pass out. Now on the other hand ritilin puts me down to, so a downer ( you guessed it. downers make me hyper. I had a coffee the other day with yougert and flavorings and 5 shots of coffee, I was like gone the rest of the day. so doing coffee in the morning before work is like a sleeping pill.now if they only made the opsite stuff for those who get hyped on downers

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup
    Caffeine withdrawl headaches.

I've been attempting to cut out caffeine, and have the massive headaches as a result. But these headaches are so bad that I can't concentrate and walking around at work is getting harder and harder. What is the best thing to take for these headaches?
    A nice hot latte.....or an iced latte!

Seriously, if I go two or more days without caffeine, I get these monster headaches, too. Advil is the only thing that helps, but even Advil doesn't do it all the way. I pretty much run out and grab a cup of coffee to make it all feel better.

I haaaate that I'm that addicted to caffeine, but I've been addicted more than half my life. I have quit it for months at a time, but I really enjoy the coffee "experience," so when I've had a latte, just a single latte during these de-caf periods, it gives me a horrible buzz, I feel sick, and I'm miserable.

So for me, it's a continued addiction with no end in sight. For you, it can be a few days of a headache (they do fade in time), then de-caf coffee or pop. Perhaps you can enjoy a caffeinated beverage in moderation without feeling sick like I do.

*sips her coffee*

Also,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    I hope you can figure out a way to be
    headache-free today!!!

• Banned User

I never understood being adicted to cofee( cafeine) it never worked for me, and the more I drank it the more sleepy I got. wish it did I could use a good pick me up in the mornings.

I have your solution (sorta). Frrst understand why you get headaches in general. Headaches are generally from the blood vessles in your head being dialated. The increased bloodflow can cause pressure and excites stiulation of the nerves around your head. So contrary to what one might think, a headache is actually from increased blood flow, not tightness of the vessles. This is why Excederin and other headache meds have caffine... read on.

Next you understand WHY one gets caffine headaches. Caffine is a vasoconstrictor. It causes blood vessles (especially in the brain) to constrict. This is great if you have a normal headache you want to kick. Take caffine routinly and the blood vessles in yoru brain are accustomed to being constricted most of the time. When you stop drinking caffine they beme more dialted than normal.

The solution? Aside from time I would say sticking your head in a sink of ice water. Sounds crazy, but I can assure you it would help a lot. You could try having a small ammount of caffine and weening yourself off, that may help as well. If your just sitting around, throw a cold pack on your head, especially around your temples, as this is where yoru temporal artery runs, supplying much of the blood to your brain. You cool the temporal artery and you may reduce the dialation in your brain in general.

Good luck.

• I Hug My Tapirs

I tried to do the exact same thing a few months ago. I was drinking 3-4 cans of Coke a day, and I went cold turkey. For several days I had AWFUL headaches and I never did find a remedy for them. Unfortunately, if you're going cold turkey, I think you just have to tough it out. I know exactly what you're going through - I've been there myself - and it's not fun. *hugs*
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Oh bother!

Headache relief? Go in your bathroom, close all the doors and windows tight. Turn your shower on as hot as it can go, full blast. Wait a few moments for the steam to build up in the enclosed bathroom and then breathe deeply and slowly inhaling the steam. This is also a good trick to use for bronchitis/pneumonia relief or to calm a baby who will not stop crying.
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Hakuna--
    Yeah I am one of those who can do cafeine major and pass out.
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. EVERYTHING makes me sleepy. Hubby says sleep makes me sleepy. Haha. My doctors even prescribed Claritin for my allergies...I had to stop taking it cause it knocked me out. The doc tells me "that's strange...theat's their marketing tool, it doesn'tmake you drowsy like the other meds." Yeah, it's just me. I take one am I'm a drooling sleep monster for the next 4 hours.

anyway, try not quitting cold turkey. that's good advice. Do it slowly. Since caffiene is a pain killer, try drinking a small amount when you get a headache. and ONLY then.

• insufferable know-it-all

I was forced by my stomach to cut way back on Coke. But like you, I like caffiene.

What I did was I'd push my caffiene later and later in the day. I've cut back so far on soda that now I don't allow myself soda till lunch, so that's when I get my caffiene. (I rarely have coffee, treat myself to Starbucks maybe once or twice a month) It forces the body to learn how to get itself going in the morning on its own, but also means you don't go all day suffering from caffiene withdrawls.

Why don't you try that? Skip the caffiene in the morning, but if you still have the headache at lunch, allow yourself one Coke at that time. Just cut the a.m. caffiene and see if that helps get you unhooked.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast