Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

I've been converted...

Yes, it's true, unbelievable but true. My dear friend Stitch has converted me from a strictly motel-camping gal to one who enjoys sleeping under the stars with little creatures about...

The day unfolds like any other Sunday, we go to church and come home but then the day changes...Instead of hanging around the house we (DH, DD3 and I) pack up our meager camping gear: One sleeping bag, two quilts, three lanterns, oh and the ice chest, a tent and lots of food! We set out in the truck, pull over once to adjust the stuff in back. After a very, windy and narrow drive of about 7.5 minutes we arrive at our destination. Paul, our check-in ranger, was very helpful and sent us to camp site #35....Lovely site, not too close to anyone, close enough but not too close, to the bathroom, trees and sun. Very, very peaceful and nice. We unload and laugh at how we look with our grocery sacks and quilts...totally non-campers...glad no one is watching us.

We figure traffic is bad for Stitch and her family (they had to drive a bit further than 7.5 minutes to camp...LOL). We left them a note that we went for a hike and to please help themselves to whatever they would like.

We had a nice walk up to the observation deck that overlooked the canyon and down towards the ocean. It was a clear day and we could see the beaches of Capitola and Aptos...beautiful!!! (Karla, we took pictures! )

After our hike we came back to the campsite to find Stitch and her DH and DD...they asked how many bananas we had left on the table...Apparently the sign we left for them was read by a squirrel who, to the amusement of Stitch and her family, ran off with a whole banana up a tree! The remaining bananas had little "squirrel teeth bites" and the other squirrels found the french bread and helped themselves to the end of the loaf!

Stitch's DH got the smoker set up right away and put the meat in for our dinner. We spent the afternoon setting up and eating and visiting and eating and laughing and eating and, well, you get the idea. The little girls worked out some skits for us and performed them with benefit of latern'lit stage during our fabulous dinner!! They were darling and really entertained us well! We think the entire campground enjoyed their singing! Stitch's DH made the best tritip...oh my goodness...my DH is in love! We had a real feast. It was getting dark so Stitch and I got the dishes and table all cleaned up before we couldn't see anymore.

We sat around the campfire, told some fun stories, ate s'mores (they really are best done over an open campfire), watched another skit or two by the girls and called it a night.

This morning DH and I were up around 6:00, heard an owl "hooting", started up the campfire and the coffee. DD3 got up and she went for a hike with DH. I sat by the fire, reading my book, listening to the forest wake up, drank my nice hot coffee...ah...pure bliss.

When Stitch and her family got up we (actually the men and the little girls) started breakfast. We had a spectacular breakfast of bacon, sausage, Mike's eggs, toast and jam, fruit, and more campfire coffee. yummmm Then the girls wanted to go on a hike along the "secret trail" that DD3 had found the day before, so the dads took them and Stitch and I stayed back and had a wonderful uninterrupted visit! We decided that Karla would do fine and she would love it here with us...we will make sure she has a super-comfy airbed of course...

The dads and girls were back and it was time to pack up....

One day was not enough...we needed another night!

So, if any of you hear of some great sales on camping gear, please let me know...I'm in the market for some stuff! LOL
    Boo!

Re: I've been converted...

I'm glad you guys had such a great time. I knew you'd like it if you went
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I'm all for sitting around the campfire and such. But when it's time to go to bed, and use the bathrooms, this boy needs a roof over his head, a bed, and a bathroom all to myself with shower and toilet!

I like to call it, condo camping

• Banned User

Oh I am so glad you had a wonderful time!!! I loved every bit of this report ( now girl you know i need pics right ??
    Oh and I think a camp trailor is a great investment., my girl friend had one, we left all the gear in it and when ever we went camping we just added water and food to the trailor and off we went. that trailor ws self contained and we would go 2 days a week every weed for years. I am not a camper any more, my bones ache just reading this, but I love hearing how you enjoyed your self and had good foods ( I hear Sttich's hubby is a genious with the smoker!! )And it sounds like the men had a great time But I missed you botho, glad you are back

• Happy 2007!

Yes. It was a wonderful time. Next time we will go for longer than one night, but MeiMei had to move at her own speed. She is not the only non-camper I've converted. Who's next?????

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Sounds like you both had a great time!! This is a good time of year to buy camping stuff, I saw a lot of it on clearance at Target

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'm all for sitting around the campfire and such. But when it's time to go to bed, and use the bathrooms, this boy needs a roof over his head, a bed, and a bathroom all to myself with shower and toilet!

I hear ya there!! I always say; my idea of roughing it; is a motel 6...no pool!! THAT is about as rugged as I get. Not a camping girl. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE nature...as long as there's bug spray, and plumbing. Then, I'm all about nature.

• Happy 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo
    I hear ya there!! I always say; my idea of roughing it; is a motel 6...no pool!! THAT is about as rugged as I get. Not a camping girl. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE nature...as long as there's bug spray, and plumbing. Then, I'm all about nature.
    Yeah. That's what MeiMei said too, before I got my hands on her!!!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'm hoping you live Faaaaaaar away from me...so you don't get any ideas.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut

Next....
    Boo!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo
    Next after OlympicNut...
    Boo!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    Sounds like you both had a great time!! This is a good time of year to buy camping stuff, I saw a lot of it on clearance at Target
    Thank you, there is a Target in Watsonville...I'll have to look there.

I hear WalMart is a good source for camping things as well.

Having the right equipment, I found out, is key to a successful trip.
    Boo!

• Banned User

you knw whats good? those flash lights that you recharge by shaking, and a nice lantern, some long matches, a good air matress, and sleeping bags. and one of these....

we loved ours, it was so comfortable and we did not mind camping then, until my girl friend got this.. now that was just stupid

• Circle of Ancients

Karla....your first picture is somewhat like camping, your second picture is nothing like camping....when I see those things, I think "Why bother?" I like good , old fashioned camping where you sleep under the stars , dig a hole when you need to, and bathe in whatever ice cold body of water is closest !

Mei Mei...glad to hear you got converted.....to camping that is!!

• Happy 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup
    Karla....your first picture is somewhat like camping, your second picture is nothing like camping....when I see those things, I think "Why bother?" I like good , old fashioned camping where you sleep under the stars , dig a hole when you need to, and bathe in whatever ice cold body of water is closest !

Mei Mei...glad to hear you got converted.....to camping that is!!
    Well, I don't know about the digging the hole thing. I was 20 something the last time I camped like that. I don't need showers, but I must have my bathroom!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast