• decorating

inspired by Libby Lu thread at Disneyland board

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/girlculture/
    This is a quick link to a genius project.
    The first one freaks me out. I cannot believe someone actually letting their daughter dress like that day to day.
    For more info, http://www.laurengreenfield.com/girlculture/view.html
    This is an excellent project dealing with girls's issues, from anorexia to shoes.

• Man O Lantern

Re: inspired by Libby Lu thread at Disneyland board

It's a beautiful project. I'll be sharing it with my eleven year old, so thank you very much for posting! You also started the thread about who our girls will look up to, didn't you?

I'm wandering through the photo essay, wondering how on earth to raise three happy healthy girls in our society!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I

I'm wandering through the photo essay, wondering how on earth to raise three happy healthy girls in our society!

I wonder about that too Stinkerbell as I'm sure all of us good moms do!

The one thing I think that has made the biggest difference in my daughters' lives has been my husband ...the relationship I have with him as his wife and the relationship he has with them as their dad . They have never witnessed anything from him except total respect for women....every aspect of them....their brains, their personalities, their beauty, and their gifts and talents. I never had that from my step dad growing up and therefore sought the wrong kind of attention from boys and men until I learned to respect myself. IMHO...great husbands/dads make the difference. And for daughters who don't have great dads, another great male role model can make the difference!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    I wonder about that too Stinkerbell as I'm sure all of us good moms do!

The one thing I think that has made the biggest difference in my daughters' lives has been my husband ...the relationship I have with him as his wife and the relationship he has with them as their dad . They have never witnessed anything from him except total respect for women....every aspect of them....their brains, their personalities, their beauty, and their gifts and talents. I never had that from my step dad growing up and therefore sought the wrong kind of attention from boys and men until I learned to respect myself. IMHO...great husbands/dads make the difference. And for daughters who don't have great dads, another great male role model can make the difference!

i totally agreee with yoiu annie.. RESPECT

Friends for life

Wow....your daughters are lucky to have you.....

the first thing that my grandmother said when I was born was "Damn, it's going to take us forever to get this one out of the house." She said this because she thought that I was ugly....

If I had a dollar for everytime that a family member told me that I was fat, chubby, needed to lose weight, needed to exercise, needed to eat less, etc....I'd probably be rich.

It was hell on my self esteem growing up. The people who are supposed to love you unconditionally constantly telling you that you're fat and all that.....somehow I managed to come out ok...relatively. I guess by ok I mean that I never had an eating disorder although I did think about it quite a few times.

• Keep that Zebra safe...

As an only (female) child growing up ina very close and protective family I just want to say to mom's, dad's, everyone! Please PLEASE don't tell your daughters they are 'ugly' or 'chubby' or 'dress wrong' don't tell them that are too 'shy' or that they need to 'socialize'
    Girls will grow up each at their own rate and telling them any of the above will push them in the terribly wrong direction.
    The only thing more important then the family opinion is probably our 'friends' opinion.

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

What a really amazing and eye opening project, especially for the mother of a 12 year old girl.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    It was hell on my self esteem growing up. The people who are supposed to love you unconditionally constantly telling you that you're fat and all that.....somehow I managed to come out ok...relatively. I guess by ok I mean that I never had an eating disorder although I did think about it quite a few times.
    Oh, boy - does this strike a nerve! I don't know what it is about family but they can be the cruelest of all. Do they think that because you know they love them, that comments like this would somehow hurt less? I still grapple with weight issues (like I've done my whole life, and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life). Never had an eating disorder either, but I've thought to myself so many times "it would be so much easier if I could just stop eating."

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyCarnivora View Post
    As an only (female) child growing up ina very close and protective family I just want to say to mom's, dad's, everyone! Please PLEASE don't tell your daughters they are 'ugly' or 'chubby' or 'dress wrong' don't tell them that are too 'shy' or that they need to 'socialize'
    Girls will grow up each at their own rate and telling them any of the above will push them in the terribly wrong direction.
    The only thing more important then the family opinion is probably our 'friends' opinion.
    Hear hear! I got that a lot too, and now I just hope that when it's time for me to have kids of my own, that I don't repeat the mistakes made by my parents - loving and well-meaning though they were.
    She did it!

From my experience, Asian families are much more harsh on their daughters weight issues. I am an alumni of an Asian Interest Sorority and almost all of our girls have been called fat or at least warned about getting fat by their families....what's up with that?!?

• decorating

Quote Originally Posted by duckiedianne View Post
    From my experience, Asian families are much more harsh on their daughters weight issues. I am an alumni of an Asian Interest Sorority and almost all of our girls have been called fat or at least warned about getting fat by their families....what's up with that?!?
    I was on the flag team with a girl from Japan... she was built straight, not a lot of curves. She was very active, and a beautiful dancer, and a great body. She went anorexic cause her family called her fat.
    She just wasn/t tiny, like, size 0 tiny. Girl was a 4 at most.

I always was glad my parents took me as I was.

Yea....my mom weighed 110 pounds at the most until she had my brother. I stopped being able to fit into her wedding dress when I was 15...

Jokingly, I tell my mom that she was skinny because she lived in Taiwan where they had no good food to eat! She begs to differ and then tells me about all the stuff that she loved to eat in Taiwan!