Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

How old were you, or your daughters when they started babysitting?

I have had 2 requests from the neighbor ladies here to hire my daughter to sit with there children. I am nervous, not because my daughter is not very responsible, but because I never thought she would be asked so young.
    My rachal is 12, some of you have met her, and she has been hired thru out the neighborhood to do odd jobs, weed yards, take care of yards while people go on vacation, and help the older folks move things. The neighbors love her, and I am always getting calls for her now. She has been making good money for a child, and though I know she is very responsible, and has helped me many years to take care of her brothers here with me, do you think 12 is to young for her to baby sit?
    The gal that wants her to sit for her lives 3 doors down, and I agreed to let Rachal do it, but now I am nervous. I never baby sat until I was much older, and though I know I could have handled it much earlier I still worry 12 is to young.
    what do you all think?

•   
    • So fetch

Re: How old were you, or your daughters when they started babysitting?

I was 12 years old when I started babysitting kids in my neighborhood. I was the one to call until I was 16 and too busy with HS activities.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I started babysitting, my sister and my mom's best friends kids when I was in 6th grade so I was 11. My oldest son has watched my youngest, exactly twice, I'm still not comfortable with it. I gave him two shots this summer and both times it was fine but still nervewracking for me.

I would suggest, if she really wants to do it AND you feel she's responsible enough, letting her try short babysitting jobs, only during the day. Let her know its a trial basis and she's on "probation" so to speak. See how she does and then reevaluate the situation.

Good luck!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Me too, I was 12. I had 20 nieces and nephews !

• Banned User

well you are making me feel better. I did agree for her to do it for 4 hours on friday, but I think I will make sure she calls me every so often, and maybe I will stop in since its just across the alley. the lady told me her little girl fell in love with rachal, and that she was shy and does nto take to people very easy. So she knew Rachal was the girl for her. And can you Believe, Rachal says " I am saving up for a car" a new car I am going to pay with cash .smart kid!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Churro View Post
    Me too, I was 12. I had 20 nieces and nephews !
    wow!!! did you make a bundle?

LOL no...they were family. My family is cheap.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

At our local hospital they have baby sitter training classes. Just runs the basics of 1st aid, how to deal with emergencies and such forth. Maybe your local hospital has a same type of program.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    At our local hospital they have baby sitter training classes. Just runs the basics of 1st aid, how to deal with emergencies and such forth. Maybe your local hospital has a same type of program.
    thank you, I am going to call the tomorrow. I am also going to go to the library and get a few books on babysitting for her. I want her to be informed before hand.

• Banned User

Another Question......

what does one charge for babysitting 2 small children?
    its been years since I did it ( 20 years ) and I have no clue what to have her charge per hour. I know the short time I had a sitter I paid 10 dollars an hour for both my kids. But I wanted to make sure they were well cared for. what do you all charge your sitters?

• Just Me

I was 11. I sat for 2 different families. One was a neighbor with 3 young kids (3-7) and the other lived a couple miles away with 2 young kids (3 & 6). I never had a problem.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

I was 13 and way into the babysitter's club.. so I started my own club! It didn't last long... but whole cow... those first $10.00 were golden!!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

My mom did daycare out of our house, so I helped out with those kids when I was a kid. I started babysitting on my own when I was 8. I guess it depends on hoe comfortable the parents are with your daughter. If you think she is responsible enough and their parents feel comfortable, then why not?

I usually charged 2 or 3 dollars per hour per kid, time and a half after midnight. I usually got that and more because I was a full service babysitter, lol. I always fed the kids, cleaned the house. gave them baths, put them to bed, etc. Their house was always much cleaner than they left it.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Senior Minion

I didn't baby-sit until I was about 15 because our neighbors only wanted my brothers to baby-sit because they were 16 and would get along better with their boys.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    My mom did daycare out of our house, so I helped out with those kids when I was a kid. I started babysitting on my own when I was 8. I guess it depends on hoe comfortable the parents are with your daughter. If you think she is responsible enough and their parents feel comfortable, then why not?

I usually charged 2 or 3 dollars per hour per kid, time and a half after midnight. I usually got that and more because I was a full service babysitter, lol. I always fed the kids, cleaned the house. gave them baths, put them to bed, etc. Their house was always much cleaner than they left it.
    Now see, this was me, I wanted to make sure the parents come home to a clean house and stress free from kids so I would wash and put them to bed to .I told the gal last night, my Rachal will make sure things are all picked up so you do not come home to a mess. She was thrilled. she said most of the time she has come home to a diaster as the sitters would let the kids destroy it, and she had to come home and clean up. She said Rachal, will be worth her weight in gold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast