• madaboutdisney

Don't take this for granted

Yesterday my brother was complaining that there was a black shadow in his eye. He couldn't see anything in his bottom peripheral vision. It kept getting worse throughout the day and he was also getting headaches. He refused to go to the emergency room right away and thought it was just related to stress, and so we brought him to urgent care this morning. This is when We found out that there was a tear in his retina. He had get lazor work and surgery done today. He had the procedure done already and if its successful he'll still have his vision, but if things go bad, then he could lose his vision in that part of his eye. If we had waited any longer on this, he could have been blind in that one eye because the rest of his retina could have torn at any time.

what i'm trying to say is...don't take you eyes for granted! It's somthing that many people overlook. Your eyes are delicate, and when you lose your vision, its just..GONE. Your vision is very important. If you notice anything wierd going on. Seeing lightening or floating things, you should go see an opthamologist right away because you never know. We don't know the cause of what happened to my brother. We think it is because he is nearsighted and has astigmatism, and since nearsighted eyes are more elongated, it could have stretched enough to tear the retina. But also, wearing contacts for extended times and sleeping with them (when they're not the extended wear kinds) can be really bad for your eyes because your eyes need oxygen. Reusing contact solution is also bad because you are just putting your contacts in solution that already has a lot of debri and bacteria in it. Even being out in the sun could be harmful. I'd wear sunglasses for protection. Oh yeah, and even though getting your eyes dilated at the doctors can suck sometimes, it could be really helpful. My brother hadn't had one of those in a while, and if he did, i'm sure we could have stopped this problem before it even started.

Today was just a wake up call for me to start protecting my eyes more. My dad also has closed angle glaucoma, and my mom has always stressed the importance of taking care of your eyes. I just thought i'd share this with you because i think it is important.
    I Gravitate towards anything that Sparkles

• Banned User

Re: Don't take this for granted

thanks hon, good advice glad your brother is ok. keep us posted ok

Some amount of floaters are normal as we age, but always tell your opthamologist about it. Let them decide it's normal.

Lightning or flashes are always a bad sign. I just started getting yearly checkups a few years ago. I hadn't done it before that, which was bad.

I'm glad your brother got to a doctor. Hopefully it'll heal right and he'll be fine.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

OMG that is scary!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Wow... hope the bro is ok
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• madaboutdisney

My brother is actually home today! he just has to stay off work for awhile and sit all day on a recliner with his head propped up in all these specific positions.

He told me a little about the procedures. he was awake the whole time and they had to stick a needle in his eye. the thought of that gives me the creeps!! I'm glad he's doing better though.
    I Gravitate towards anything that Sparkles

I'm glad your brother had his vision checked. I hope he recovers well. I have 20/20 in one and 20/200 in the other eye. My friend Brian lost his vision completly at the are of 21 (he's 39 now, and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was the final film he actually saw) and the one thing he will admit is that being blind "Sucks".

Brian and I at the El Captian, June '05

Brian and I in Alexandia Viginia, May 06

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Definately dont take your eyes for granted. My ex boyfriend went to his dr cause he said there was a black spot in his eye. They said its dead cells or something like that and gave him vitamins to take that they said will break it up....I hope thats all it is.
    And Im glad your bro is ok!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Glad your brother is OK
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ