travel to London...help!

okay, here's the deal...
    my 17-year-old daughter will be spending 9 days in London in February.
    Being a pretty typical teen, she has to have the "right" wardrobe.
    How do people dress in London?
    Can someone give me ideas of what type of clothes to buy for this trip? I assume that some places (restaurants, Harrod's, theatres) will have a dress code, and I also assume that you wouldn't dress much differently than you would in NYC, especially in February.
    Thoughts???

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Re: travel to London...help!

I was in London last December. It was my second trip. It was freezing the entire time!

It's definitely more dressy than California. Dressing for New York is probably a good idea.

Harrod's is in Knightsbridge, which is a very trendy shopping area and quite upscale. All of the designer shops are right around the corner.

For sightseeing, I would say comfort would be key, and dressing in layers since she'll probably be going in and out of doors a lot.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

They aren't any snootier there than they are here relatively speaking, when it comes to clothes. I have been twice and never brought anything more than polo shirts and jeans. And a heavy coat for February as it can get downright chilly. And as long as she wears pants and a shirt shes fine for Harrods.

• decorating

Quote Originally Posted by fairygoodmother View Post
    okay, here's the deal...
    my 17-year-old daughter will be spending 9 days in London in February.
    Being a pretty typical teen, she has to have the "right" wardrobe.
    How do people dress in London?
    Can someone give me ideas of what type of clothes to buy for this trip? I assume that some places (restaurants, Harrod's, theatres) will have a dress code, and I also assume that you wouldn't dress much differently than you would in NYC, especially in February.
    Thoughts???
    New York dress will work. I was there over New Year's once, I lived in a black coat and a scarf (never get to wear scarves in CA!)
    Has she gotten any lectures (or will she) on attitude differences?
    I couldn't believe how rude people could be i had a gentleman barge through our small group as we walked to the Underground (obviously, he wanted to get there first.)
    The food is an experience. And, you have to pay for ketchup, cause they all eat their fries at McDonalds with, I forget, ranch or tarter sauce.
    The indian food is grub.
    I visited the London Dungeon... if she likes horror movies or Jack the Ripper, that is a place to go.

• Winter in Oceanside...

If you don't want to look like a tourist, do not wear tennis shoes (trainers) - they are a dead give away. I could point out the Yanks on the Tube and busses a mile away with their jeans and white tennis shoes. I would play it safe and bring lots of black, or other neutral colors. The British (and Europe in general), are not big on wearing bright colors, at least what I saw.

• Former Epcot CM

In February, it will be quite chilly so I'm guessing jumpers and jeans? Obviously with a coat. London isn't a snobby place, its the boutiques like Prada and Chanel where you find the snoots and you will find them in any of those boutiques across the world. Just dress comfortably and stay warm.

I like the suggestions of 'New York' dress. New York is only slightly colder then London due to its proximity to the ocean, but most of the time they share the same climate.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Talking Re: travel to London...help!

Simple, don't let her go.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

Quote Originally Posted by poohnpiglet View Post
    Simple, don't let her go.
    And yet, I should let her go to Disneyland with YOU for 5 days this week? Maybe you should plan another trip to DLR at the same time she's gone to London...then you won't even know she's gone. And you should take ME on that trip with you! What a great idea!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

How about you send ME in her place? I've always wanted to go to London!

• Misses Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    New York dress will work. I was there over New Year's once, I lived in a black coat and a scarf (never get to wear scarves in CA!)
    Has she gotten any lectures (or will she) on attitude differences?
    I couldn't believe how rude people could be i had a gentleman barge through our small group as we walked to the Underground (obviously, he wanted to get there first.)
    The food is an experience. And, you have to pay for ketchup, cause they all eat their fries at McDonalds with, I forget, ranch or tarter sauce.
    The indian food is grub.
    I visited the London Dungeon... if she likes horror movies or Jack the Ripper, that is a place to go.
    OT but the ketchup thing, they don't even sell it at grocery stores. Actually I found that nice sit down places would hear my american voice and offer me ketchup, and then would make a huge face when I denied it lol. And as far as dressing goes, she should dress in what she is comfy in. As far as I know there are some funky trendy spots in London, as well as the classy ones. But yes coats and hats cause it be cold and cloudy all the time.

Elsa's and Anna's
    Disneyland Dec 2014