• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Give One, Get One: A Recipe Exchange

Long ago when MiceChat first started, we had a place where we could exchange recipes with one another. After seeing a post from desertdweller the other day, I thought I would restart this long forgotten recipe sharing place.

I know we have the Recipe Club in MC Gold, but this is a place that non MC Gold members can share their epicurian delights.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Re: Give One, Get One: A Recipe Exchange

First one is actually a recipe I tried from a cookbook. I found the recipe online to share so that I wouldn't have to type it out.

The recipe is in the Rachel Ray Cooking Rocks! 30 Minute Meals for Kids cookbook. This is one of the yummiest new recipes we have tried in a long time.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._28736,00.html
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Minion

This has become a recent favorite for a meatless meal or you can add Italian sausages. A bottle of Chianti, mixed salad and good bread makes a wonderful meal. Serves 4

PENNE WITH TOMATOES, OLIVES AND TWO CHEESES

6 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3 28-ounce cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
    2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth

1 pound penne or rigatoni
    2 1/2 cups packed grated Havarti cheese
    1/3 cup sliced pitted brine-cured olives (such as Kalamata)
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in tomatoes, dried basil and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer and mixture thickens to chunky sauce and is reduced to 6 cups, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain well.
    Return pasta to same pot. Toss with 3 tablespoons oil. Pour sauce over and toss to blend. Mix in Havarti cheese. Transfer pasta to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with olives, then Parmesan. Bake until pasta is heated through, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.

• Senior Minion

For anybody wanting to get into Macrobiotics here is a great recipe:

Raisin-Nut Cookies
    • 3 cups rolled oats
    • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    • 1 cup raisins
    • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    • 3 tablespoons corn oil
    • 1 cup barley malt
    • 1 cup water

Mix rolled oats, sea salt, flour, raisins, and nuts together. Add oil and mix again. Add barley malt and mix thoroughly. Add water to make a thick batter. Place spoonfuls of batter about 1 1/2 inches apart on oiled cookie (or place dry parchment paper on cookie sheet to not use more oil) sheets and press down to form cookies. If cookies are too thick, they will not cook thoroughly. Bake at 375 F for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. This recipe will yield between 1 and 2 dozen cookies.

• Mexihick, y'all

If you guys have the caloric/fat content, would you please post that as well?

I'll look through my recipes tonight.

• Island Paradise

This one was a winner last night and has plenty leftover for lunches and such. I had a cup serving, which was about 400 calories. Might be lower, because I used ground turkey. Not lo-cal, but worth a taste. The family devoured it. I made a few changes, that I listed. It was almost like a lasagna, but without the hassle of boiling lasagna noodles.

Three Cheese Baked Pasta From allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS
    1 pound uncooked pasta
    1 pound ground beef (I used ground turkey)
    1 onion, chopped (my kids aren't huge on onion, so I maybe used a 1/2 of med)
    6 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce (I doctored up the sauce with more garlic, wine and italian spices)
    6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 cups sour cream (some people that reviewed this recipe, used ricotta...personally, I thought the sour cream gave it a nice tang and sour cream is usually something I always have on hand. Don't skimp on this!)
    6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (this was way too much, I maybe used 1/4 to cover the top of the dish )

DIRECTIONS
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain.
    Meanwhile, cook ground meat and onion in a skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until meat is browned. Stir in pasta sauce, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer the ingredients in the prepared baking dish as follows: half of the cooked pasta, all the provolone cheese, all the sour cream, half of the sauce mixture, remaining pasta, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
    Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.