Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• For You!

Why start smoking and or drinking alcohol?

Okay, I may be a little naive on this because I've never smoked or drank alcohol.

I was talking with my husband and a friend on why people start smoking or drinking. Everyone I've talked with said that the "first time" was just awful. They puked, coughed and the taste was awful - they then said that it's an acquired taste. So, if it's so disgusting, why do people continue? Is it just peer pressure, or the thought that it's supposed to be cool and they need to keep trying it? Is it because the parents smoke and drink - a social thing??

I'm just curious on your thoughts

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: Why start smoking and or drinking alcohol?

I have never smoked anything so I can't answer that but I do drink socially. I have never drank to the point where I was out of it or didn't know what I was doing. I usually have one drink and even then I make it last the entire time. I only do girly mixed drinks. I am not too much of a beer or wine person. My parents drink a lot but I have made a vow to myself and my fiance that I will never get that way.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I don't smoke. Don't think I ever will. As for drinking, I drink occasionally when I'm out at a party, club, bar, whatever but I'm very picky when it comes to what it is I drink. Don't like beer, champagne, or wine at all. I heard the same thing you have that they are acquired tastes. I drink the mixed drinks, usually fruity ones. I went to this 80's club the other night and I drank an Apple Martini, Midori Sour, and a Sex on the Beach. All three have some sort of fruity taste or juice which helps take away the alcohol taste, except the Martini. I get those just to get the buzz off of it. I've never gotten drunk where I'm dancing on top of a bar or doing other things that I'll regret the next morning. Never had a hangover or puked. I know my limits. Soon as I start to feel a buzz, I stop and enjoy it. I don't drink because other people do, there have been times where I wouldn't drink because I knew I was driving home by myself and everyone around me was drinking.

• Senior Minion

I don't smoke or drink, either.

For teens, I think it's peer pressure and to some, it's fun to go out, get drunk, party, laugh and then it gives you something to laugh about and talk about later, at least that i've observed. Some teens think underage drinking is cool, my friend did, and still does at 21, and I now block her calls because of all the drunk phone calls from her.

People look at me weird when they find out that I don't drink or smoke and i'm over 21, and i've had people at work treat me different and talk about me behind my back because of it. I don't care because I see no point.

I was also reading an article about an ad for Dreamgirls in Australia where Beyonce is smoking and they think that sends the wrong message to young girls, and I agree.

Out here, they reported that most of the crashes involving a teenage driver under the age of 18, also involved speed and alcohol.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• is on the rocks

It's probably a combination of all the things you mentioned.

As for me - smoking cigarettes, I couldn't tell you what the rationale is for that one. I tried it once and HATED it. (Smoking uh, other stuff - well, that's for MC Gold )

Regarding alcohol - my experiences were that I didn't like the taste of alcohol when I first tried it, but did enjoy the pleasant buzz one gets after a couple of drinks. Got hung over once, never again. That, I don't understand - the people who get rip-roaring drunk, then moan about their "oh-god-I-want-to-die" hangovers, then do the same thing over and over again. Also, it was an acquired taste in that how alcohol tastes is a subjective thing. Just like someone may like cheddar, but not like parmesan cheese.

Personally, I've never had a wine I liked and the only beer I like is Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. I enjoy a good tequila (Patrón) or vodka (Ketel One or Grey Goose) on the rocks occasionally, but again - very subjective. And this is something I do only occasionally.
    She did it!

• The Delicate Tinkerbell

I'm not a smoker but I have smoked a cigarette once. I tried it out of pure curiousity, just to see what all the fuss was about. I found it disgusting. It does mellow you out, but the taste is nasty and it made me feel queasy. Never did it again.

I started drinking when I was in high school. It wasn't peer pressure, because I didn't really have anyone telling me I'd be a reject if I didn't try it. But everyone else was drinking as well. I tried it again out of pure curiousity, and drank until I got buzzed. Then I felt "Hey, this is fun, I get all giggly and stupid". When you're 16 you just don't think right anyway. I went through my party phase until I turned 21, then I got really burnt out and didn't care for drinking much anymore. I did go to bars occasionally. But still to this day I don't drink with the intention of getting drunk, I drink because I like the taste of what I'm drinking.

• Banned User

deleted

• Incognito

Blog Entries

MMMMMMMMMMM, boooooooooooooooooooze.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Smoking: Causes terminal coolness

Drinking: Is the best solution to any of life's problems.

What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• That Guy

Smoking is gross and not for me.

I drink in moderation, and beer, wine, and margaritas taste good and compliment many meals.

It's also fun to get buzzed, as a side benefit.

• Clearing my Calendar

I don't smoke, nor have I ever wanted to smoke a cigarette. My husband loves the taste of a good cigar, but he hasn't had one since we've been married. Just by his choice.

We do have a hookah and flavored tobacco that I looooove. Again, it's been several years since I've used it. It's a really good taste (especially the melon!) and it's relaxing. But it's more a social thing than anything, we only bring (brought) it out when we have guests really. We take a puff, then pass it around. It takes like two hours for us to really get the full use out of it, so we don't all really intake a lot anyway.

Alcohol is entirely social as well. I love the taste of rum and a good wine. My husband loves just about anything except tequila. Neither of us drinks beyond our capacity. I've never had a hangover because I don't enjoy drinking after more than 2 or so drinks.

Bryan used to babysit for his father's friend about 10 years ago. This child's mother would drink and then abuse the child. One night she started drinking while Bryan was still there before he left. To protect the child he drank, too. He drank and drank until everything was gone so she was far more sober than he. Worst hangover of his life the next day, but he said it was worth it. In case anyone's curious, she did eventually get help and the kid is now a successful firefighter.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Okay, I may be a little naive on this because I've never smoked or drank alcohol.

I was talking with my husband and a friend on why people start smoking or drinking. Everyone I've talked with said that the "first time" was just awful. They puked, coughed and the taste was awful - they then said that it's an acquired taste. So, if it's so disgusting, why do people continue? Is it just peer pressure, or the thought that it's supposed to be cool and they need to keep trying it? Is it because the parents smoke and drink - a social thing??

I'm just curious on your thoughts
    For most smokers it begins as a social thing. But for all it's disgustingness, there are strong addictive properties at play here which end up being the catalyst for continued use. It may start for one reason, but it continues for a wholly different one. Even smokers themselves will tell you what a disgusting habit it is, but the dependency keeps them going.

Alcohol, on the other hand, has different reasonings behind it. It's not awful to everyone who first drinks it, especially since not all alcohol is beer or hard liquor. With alcohol, it's the individual who takes it too far. Some people do not have the internal mechanism that tells them enough is enough. So for them, alcohol can turn into something ugly and tragic, whereas for someone else, it's just a 30 minute buzz.

The big difference between the two is that one is an addiction regardless of the reasons for doing it. And it's one that will harm your health in the long run, without a doubt. While the other is something that can only harm you if overindulged. And even has it's share health benefits if applied appropriately.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I smoked cigarettes for a very long time, I started in high school, mainly to piss my parents off. It was a bitch quitting, and when I drink or am under high stress, I still get the urge.

Drinking? Well, I do it because I quite enjoy the warm feeling in my tummy and the pleasantly fuzzy feeling in my head.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Kerplookee

'Nothing like a smoke after a meal' (Stand by me, 1986)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Now I'd like to see that in a Truth.org commercial.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast