• Say no to Assimilation

Luna Company Scare Tactics

The other day on campus the company that makes Luna bars had a tent up. They were handing out petroleum free chap stick, samples of their bars and their drink mixers. They also gave out a little pamphlet. So I was thumming through the pamphlet and I came across this, "There's a place where companies can sell products even if they contain ingredients llinked to breast cancer. It's called the beauty aisle. huh?
    underneath this is a website www.safecosmetics.org
    Maybe someone else has more information on this than I do. After looking at the website, it seems like a scare tactic to me.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Luna Company Scare Tactics

I don't know about that but I love Luna bars so I really hope it's not a scare tactic
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Many year ago my sister operated a burger joint, and she told me the used oil from the fries was picked up once a week to be recycled into cosmetics.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

• Minion

What does that campaign have to do with Luna bars ??? weird

• Minion

Thank you for sharing the link. I don't know if it is a scare tactic or not, but I'm quite interested in this topic.
    Boo!

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by disneymeimei View Post
    Thank you for sharing the link. I don't know if it is a scare tactic or not, but I'm quite interested in this topic.
    I am not sure either but I also had the rep there telling me that I am putting cancer on my face everyday. I use origins and they don't have any of the ingerdients on the "bad list" but they are not on their approved cosmetic list.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie View Post
    I am not sure either but I also had the rep there telling me that I am putting cancer on my face everyday. I use origins and they don't have any of the ingerdients on the "bad list" but they are not on their approved cosmetic list.

It is interesting with your timing of this post...tomorrow would have been my mother's 65th birthday...she was a beautician, trained in the mid-60's worked for 30 years in the business. (black hair dye, nail products, perms, all of it). Her all time favorite fagrance, Estee Lauder, was in the top ten.

My daughter's boyfriend is a chemical engineering major at Berkeley. I plan to ask him a lot of questions when he comes home this weekend.
    Boo!

• Mexihick, y'all

Every minute you wake up your putting cancer in your body. This is crap.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Every minute you wake up your putting cancer in your body. This is crap.
    Exactly! Every week there's something or other out there which you use in everyday life that is heralded as causing cancer.

Even if you didn't wear make up, being out in commuter traffic everyday inhaling other cars exhaust can't be all that healthy for you either!

• Mexihick, y'all

Booyah! TRL...I agree.

Live your f'in lives.

• Minion

None of this stuff is new. This sort of information has been around for decades, probably before most of you were born. I don't see it as a "scare" tactic, but just giving you information so you can be more aware. Normally, when you hear about some ingredient that is harmful, you don't use a dose large enough to do serious damage. Maybe over time, if you used a lot of the products on the lists, something may happen. Or if you had unexplained allergies, some of this stuff could be the cause. The reason Luna would be involved in something like this, is their "natural" "healthy" philosophy.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    Many year ago my sister operated a burger joint, and she told me the used oil from the fries was picked up once a week to be recycled into cosmetics.
    I can't believe that..!

This subject reminds me of the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson. The Joker had everyone all scared to where cosmetics because of mixtures..or something like that.

Sounds like a bunch of bologna sandwiches to me.

• Man O Lantern

Eh. I see it as a company for women (Luna) supporting a woman's cause (cancer prevention) via women's products (cosmetics).

And my stepmom 90% believes her breast cancer was caused by her deodorant/anti-perspirant, so there are definitely people out there who believe deeply in these issues, for all the right reasons.

Stinkerbell,

You don't know to the degree it disturbs me when I hear women say that they developed breast cancer because of their anti-perspirant or the underwire in their bras. I work with breast imaging radiologists here in Los Angeles, and I hear that at least once a day and both ideas are incorrect. Breast cancer is something that happens internally in both men and women, and while there are a percentage of people who have a genetic link, most breast cancers happen to people without a familial history.

The only link between deodorant/anti perspirant and breast cancer is different one. Wearing it during your mammographic exam can result in a false positive because of the aluminum in the products appearing on the mammogram, mimicking calcifications. While there are many types of calcifications, most of which are benign, some are the visual sign of DCIS, (Ductal Carcinoma in situ), which is treated with removal and radiation so that it doesn't become Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.

Just my .02 and I hope it doesn't bother anyone.