Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Allergy Freak-Out

I feel kinda weird coming on here to talk about this, but I'm starting to panic somewhat, so I figured that perhaps you wonderful people could help me...

In 3rd grade, around springtime, I started developing hives when my body would get overheated. I had to go to the nurse every day to take Benadryl, which worked fine, and soon they went away.

The hives came back into my life about a year ago, and I'm now a sophomore in college. I went to the doctor and was perscribed fexofenadrine, and it seemed to take care of the problem. Had to take it twice a day, morning and night.

There have been days where I have forgotten to take the pill in the morning, but I've always been fine.

But yesterday, I didn't take it in the morning, and the hives came back...in FULL force, more so than ever. They've never appeared on my face before, but they are now...not so great.

My mom went out and got me some Benadryl allergy meds to take, but they're only kind of helping. Oh, and I used their anti-itch cream, too...that helps.

But they're still not totally going away...after they disappear a little, they come back again. I've taken all the medication I'm supposed to take.

For anyone that has allergies, I was wondering if you had any other methods of coping with hives, or something...this is awful

• Minion

Re: Allergy Freak-Out

You may need to go back to the dr and be put onto steroids. I had a very bad allergic reaction to an antibiotic and right away I was put on steriods and also promethazine. Worked great! Even though it is "common" for you, it could be serious and better be safe and call the Dr.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    You may need to go back to the dr and be put onto steroids. I had a very bad allergic reaction to an antibiotic and right away I was put on steriods and also promethazine. Worked great! Even though it is "common" for you, it could be serious and better be safe and call the Dr.
    Ditto. I'm practicaly a shut in in the spring and fall. This is how I survive:

I need to change medications every so often as the body builds up an immunity to them.

Cold showers. I had to take two today. They help.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

This is the same little guy as in my avatar. This is a full on allergy attack including hives (or one rather large all encompassing hive) on his face. He also had them all over the trunk of his body, arms, legs and where the sun doesn't shine. In other words, the only part of his body without hives was his scalp.

My guy takes Zyrtec every day. We have tried weening him off to just Claritin, but the hives pop back up, so we just do the Zyrtec now. He also has allergy nasal spray and allergy eye drops to add into his daily routine when the Zyrtec isn't enough. To top this off, he also has asthma and eczema. His regular dr is excellent, but felt we could be better served by an allergist. If you haven't been to one, I highly suggest it especially since your symptoms seem to be getting worse. Not to scare you, but you can get hives in your throat which will interfere with your ability to breath. If at any time during a hive break out, you feel like it is hard to breath, call 911. Please call you dr asap and get an appt.

Sorry for the strong approach, my mom instincts took over...but seriously, get an appt!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

That is the saddest picture, maybe ever! Poor baby!
    A signature should go here.

Yeah, and that's the good picture...I could have used the bad one!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Simply Mad View Post
    Yeah, and that's the good picture...I could have used the bad one!
    please dont... i dotn want to imagine anything worse..

(i get hives on my legs from allergy to grass from time to time... but nothing worse thank goodness... i also will take benedryl if needed)

go to the doctor, yours is serious and needs to be checked up upon..

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

That pic is still making MY eyes water!

I was just reading an article about allergies and one doctor said that he washes his eyelids/lashes/brows everyday with baby shampoo, to get any allergens away from his face. I thought that was a pretty interesting idea.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    ...one doctor said that he washes his eyelids/lashes/brows everyday with baby shampoo...
    sounds painful... and not right.. wouldn't eye drops be enough??

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Me too. In the Spring, Fall, and whenever the wind blows in from the desert, I get itchy and sneezy and sometimes swollen eyes and throat. But, if I get overheated at the same time, I break out in hives on my sides and chest. If I don't take Claritin or Benadryl right away, it will spread to my neck and face. Once I get it, it usually takes a day or two to go away.

Don't itch!!! It makes it soooooo much worse.

you should think about seeing a doctor. Sounds like your symptoms are getting worse as you age. Could be stress, a weakened immune system, exhaustion, any of a number of other things that would cause your usual symptoms to get so much worse. Seeing a doctor will help settle your nerves and may help keep it from getting any worse.

I feel for you. It isn't fun.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 04-17-2007 at 10:39 PM.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Don't itch!!! It makes is soooooo much worse.
    best advice... one moment while I find something to cover my ankles which currently itch worse than back in high school... (darn sister making me park in the grass)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    sounds painful... and not right.. wouldn't eye drops be enough??
    Nah, baby shampoo is tear-free! It's made to not irritate your eyes, since babies are not the most cooperative at having their hair washed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    Nah, baby shampoo is tear-free! It's made to not irritate your eyes, since babies are not the most cooperative at having their hair washed.
    still stings a little... eye drops seem better.

then again.. depends where you are.. and time of the year.

(too much evil stuff is in bloom around here!!)

• Directly directed

I did 12 years of allergy shots and that helped alot. And then I moved and I as of yet don't need them here. Oatmeal baths help the itching, as well as finding out exactly what it is that is causing the hives so that it can be better treated. Go to an allergist not just your regular doctor. And avoid steriods at all costs! Those are nasty things and I'm still trying to lose the 30lbs I gained from them in Novemeber. Singluar could also be helpful for you because it blocks different histamines than all the other allergy meds. Good luck!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Thanks for all the advice, guys Made me feel a bit better being able to talk to someone about it. All my mother did was yell at me at 1:30 am Very rough night.

Staying home from school and will be going to a doctor today. When I woke up half an hour ago, I was delighted to see that the hives have almost fully left my body. Sleeping helped I guess.

Hey Dusty...do you get funny looks too when you say that you break out in hives from the heat? lol

Simply Mad...oh, that poor little one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast