Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• For You!

Heelys are more than annoying, they're dangerous

according to this article in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...lershoes_N.htm

Accidents from trendy roller shoes are far more numerous than previously thought, contributing to roughly 1,600 emergency room visits last year, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
    • I <3 o

Re: Heelys are more than annoying, they're dangerous

Heelys need to DIE!!!!!

Those damn things drive me insane!!
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• Mickeyfan3

I refused to buy them for my son, they look like a broken neck waiting to happen. Imagine my glee when he had his money saved up, went shopping w/ Grandma, bought some.....and then my little all star was too uncoordinated to use them! Haha!!!! We gave them away.

Seriously though, in addition to being dangerous, the kids that use them are downright rude and don't watch where they're going....
    Counting the minutes......next trip ??????!!!! (to far away!!!)
    That is current Puppy in Training for Guide Dogs for the Blind, TIKI!!!!
    Hoofprints On the Heart Adaptive Riding Center

•   
    • I <3 o

I can't imagine them being good for kids, the way they put all their weight back on their heel, seems like it would be bad for the feet and legs, especially since they're still growing
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• Senior Minion

At Disneyland a kid on those things hit me on the ankle ... an ankle which has screws attached to a rod from a previous broken leg. It felt unsettling with the vibration up my leg, and the thing is that the kid lost control on them.

I've heard that they are banned at Disneyland, but CM's and security can't be everywhere unfortunately.

My hubby loves his. He fell on them a couple of times figuring out how to use them, but he's got it down now.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    I've heard that they are banned at Disneyland, but CM's and security can't be everywhere unfortunately.

I saw quite a few heelys today at DL.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I heard a kid has died from them. I can't stand these things.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Is it wrong that when I see kids with these shoes zipping through places like Target with no regard for anyone else that I want to trip them?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn View Post
    Is it wrong that when I see kids with these shoes zipping through places like Target with no regard for anyone else that I want to trip them?
    If it is then we're wrong together. I just told that to Disguy today. I refuse to buy them for my kids AND told the grandparents not to buy them either. Since my kids manage to walk into walls on their own there's no way I'd add wheels to it

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• DCA lover

Quote Originally Posted by Adelade View Post
    I can't imagine them being good for kids, the way they put all their weight back on their heel, seems like it would be bad for the feet and legs, especially since they're still growing
    This is the only argument against them that I'll accept.
    Just the chance of the kid hitting something or falling, that's ridiculous. Please no more bubble wrapping of society. Next thing you know kids will be playing video games instead of going outside and riding bikes or skating...oh, wait

• Senior Minion

Those things are evil!!!!

I've been knocked over many times by kids not looking where they are going and then parents yell at me for running into their kid because I didn't look where I was going.

I agree, I just want to yell at the kid to watch where they are going and/or trip them to teach them a valuable lesson and have them see what it feels like.

If places don't allow roller skates or skateboards, or anything with wheels other than a wheelchair, then why allow shoes with wheels? Is it not the same thing as a pair of roller skates?

They need to be outlawed!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Quality not quantity

This is just another examples of the Wimpy Nation mentality.

Ohhh dear, Ohh dear, the poor little kiddies might get hurt!!! Good gracious! Ban that! Outlaw that! Save us all from that! Help us! Protect
    us from all that is evil!

You better update your list of things to fear, ban, stop, outlaw.

Tennis, Cheerleaders, Bikes, Pools, Wii's, Football, Hiking, Skiing, Baths, Eating.....

I will not live in a bubble wrap nation. My Children will not be treated like porcelain dolls. Life is a risk. Take it or leave it.

On the other hand you don't use these things in Target and other crowded places, but that's an entirely different topic....
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Waiting for the stork

OK first off I refuse to bubble wrap my kids. I let them fall, I let them get hurt, they wear bike helmets but only because it's law...and trust me my children know they can get hurt....frankly I think it's good for them to learn it in a relativly safe way as a child rather than in a car/motorcycle/ etc as an adult...(No invincability complexes over here)

that being said, I freaking hate those things....and not because they are dangerous for the kids...so is my sons scooter...or my daughters bike (she sneezed, fell off and hit her nose on a tree...coordinated huh?) but because they are eveywhere....I hate getting hit in the store by a kid that can't (won't?) stop...and it's happened a lot. I have yet to see one parent tell their kid they can't use then inside, but I usualy see the kid with the heelies with theirs parents.
    My problem is not with the heelies, it's with the rude people I have encountered useing (suppervising?) them.

and I whole heartedly agree, if roller skates and skateboards are not permited in a location, than no footwear with wheels should be allowed. and it should be stricktly enforced....

and yes, I would buy them for my kids (but both of my children apparently know they are too uncordinated for them because when I just asked I got resounding, "i don't want those") so I guess we won't be getting any....
    procrastibating

• Pathetically Obsessed

Those things are dangerous. It's hard to know where the person using them is going.
    Last edited by InspiredByWalt; 06-07-2007 at 06:36 AM.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast