Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adoption?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Adoption?

Any adoptive parents out there? Especially international? DH and I are seriously thinking about this and we are just starting the research. Any info will be helpful. Thanks!

• Directly directed

Re: Adoption?

I am adopted and it made a world of difference in my life and i plan on adopting internationally myself. I have several friends who were adopted from the same orphanage in Korea but aside from them i don't know anyone else who was adopted.

• Golden State of Mind

my parents want to put me up for adoption.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    my parents want to put me up for adoption.

I'm surprised my parents never did.

I was adopted...and am looking into domestic adoption, because the one country I would consider international adoption from is in the midst of changing the rules. We were advised by our agency NOT to start anything with that particular country at this time. That said, I have a friend who is 1/2 way through the process in that specific country.

There's a great website full of international adopters, youbelong.net. There are tons of people there who have their journals up, you can ask questions of and get some really good answers.

hth

• no flash photography...

The only thing I know about it is the company I work for gets requests for adoption letters. I guess they are needed and we have to get them notarized. The girl I sit by does those. I've also heard china in getting strict about their adoptions and russia has stopped doing them, but I'm not sure how true that is.

There is a man at my work who adopted a child from china and they are trying to get another one now. It takes time and from what i heard it helps to know their customs and what their expectations are.

• Playtester

I know at www.largerfamilies.com there is a few people who blog on there with families that were international adoptions. There is links to their personal blogs on there too.
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Me and my husband have also been considering International adoption for quite a while, I have compiled a ton of information and am more than willing to pass it on....
    *I would call or look up (internet) Holt International...they are non profit and will send you a package telling you all about their programs, countries they adopt in, what services they offer..and which ones have to be taken care of on your end..and what to expect cost wise.
    *figure out which country you want to focus on, so you can find as much information as possible. What country you choose can vary from rules and regulations, travel time, length of time, how complicated it is, and what the overall costs can be.
    *rules and regulations vary greatly from country to country....some are relatively simple...you have to have been married for a certain length of time, number of children, amount of money you make, etc. But, some have rather strange rules...Haiti prefers childless couples, in Bulgaria the child cannot be more than 45 years younger than the adoptive parent. In Korea, there cannot be more than a 15 year age difference between the man and wife, and for most, you can only have one divorce.
    *cost is a big thing to consider. There are different times that different fees are due. Submitting your application, getting things notarized, your dossier (which for Korea, is not needed), travel, and the country's adoption fee......are all greatly varying costs. Each country is shockingly different..with Russia being one of the most expensive, and Korea and Guatemala and Honduras being on the lower side.
    *contact your local Catholic Diocese. I am not Catholic, but, one day, while watching the news, I found they were hosting a seminar on international adoption. I got SOOO much information just for attending, and got a great folder with tons more information included.
    *instead of a baby shower, there are online sites that will let family members and friends donate money to help with the cost of your adoption. If this isn't your first child, it could be great....you probably already have everything material you need...why not get some help?
    *there are even grants out there to help waive some of the costs.

Last here are some websites...I don't know how many are out of date...we have set it aside for about another year, and I have been slacking on recent information. But, these were some favorites...

www.dillonadopt.com
    www.WOCAT.org
    www.Bethany.org
    and Holt's website. These are all non profit.....because we are military, we can get some financial help, but, only if we use nonprofit. These may be a benefit to you too, since they can be cheaper......and more sincere. Hope this all helps!!!! Good luck , God bless.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Any adoptive parents out there? Especially international? DH and I are seriously thinking about this and we are just starting the research. Any info will be helpful. Thanks!
    I don't have any info for you, but just wanted to say "Best of luck to you in the whole process."

I know lots of people who were adopted themselves or have adopted children and they are all wonderful!

I just remembered something..my very nice neighbor who lives below me adopted boy and girl twins from Romania last year when they were three. So they must be four now and I can hear them outside playing all the time. And they are speaking English now and I can hear them saying in their cute little voices "I love you mommy!" If you want , I can ask her some info about how she went about adopting them.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Thank you StickyPoo, for taking the time to give me all that info! I will be looking into all those sites, and we are Catholic so I'll probably be trying to find something there. Money is an issue and unfortunately it probably won't be for at least another year until the funds are there for us. Good thing is that we don't want to adopt an infant, or even a toddler. We are at the age where we would want someone around 7, 8, 9. DH would like to adopt a sibling pair (so they won't feel so alone in a new country, new language, etc.)

Thanks PrincessB. Love to hear positive adoption stories. We are hoping to adopt from a Eastern Euopean country. DH is just more comfortable with that, tho' I would take a healthy child from any country.

Right now we are just worried about gettinga reputable agency/service that will steer us in the right direction and now just take all our money and run.

• Yeah...I'm cool

My wife and I are going through the international adoption process right now. We are adopting her 6 yo niece from Korea.

• Winter in Oceanside...

How exciting, spunkymonkey! Congrats!! Was it easier since she is a family member?

• Hmmm Disneyland?

adopting children is awesome especially when they get to visit disneyland for the first time and see their little eyes light up =) Best of luck to you PrincessY
    #1 favorite ride: Parking Structure

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    How exciting, spunkymonkey! Congrats!! Was it easier since she is a family member?
    It is much easier since she is family. We do not have to go to Korea and put in the 1 week residency requirements. We also do not have to go through their rigorous Medical and mental exams.

Since she was here on a student visa, and has been living with us, our adoption attorney has been working with the Korean Judge, and it has been an incredibily easy process. We will have to go to the Korean Consulate in a few weeks for an interview, but they said its only procedural.

Good luck with the adoption process! I have not been through it, nor do I plan to. The closest I have ever been is student exchange: My husband runs a high school foreign exchange student program. They bring kids from other countries over for a semester or a year to live with an American family and attend high school here. We have had kids stay with our family from China, Brazil, Austria and Germany. Of course, it's not quite the same because the kids are a lot older and they go home after the year, but we do form a bond and friendship with them and stay in contact with them, since we were their family for a year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast