• 28:06:42:12

Question the Beauty Hints, Tips and Tricks line (help and advice free, too!)

Do you have problem nails, hair, skin, etc? Need some help dealing with those?

Do you have a cool beauty hint or secret you'd like to share with the world? Maybe one of Grandma's beauty secrets or recipes that works every time?

...Then you've come to the right place!

Let the Gibson Girls (and Guys...I know you're out there! ) help you solve your beauty problems here! Share secrets, recipes and hints...alternative uses for familiar products...ask for help and advice with problems...get it all here!

I'll be the first to share a trick I've discovered: shaving your legs with Baby Magic baby lotion* (the original formula) works wonders! No razor bumps, no itchy burny feeling, and you can lotion your legs with a mild lotion just after shaving (always a problem for me) without feeling like you just lit your legs on fire. Works every time!

*warning: not recommended for people with lanolin sensitivities, as Baby Magic lotion contains lots o' that. If anyone has alternative suggestions for the lanolin-sensitive, please share!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

• Man O Lantern

Shaving!! I use Trader Joe's body scrub in the plastic jar. It's like $5 and I scrub my legs with it to exfoliate, then I shave so freaking smooth and close with all the oily what-have-you that's leftover from the exfoliation. It smells good too! The only prob is rinsing out the blade after every freaking stroke! But I don't even have to put on lotion anymore, because I'm always so soft!!!

Make up tip. I used to use Smashbox foundation and the Smashbox photo-finish matte primer. Now that I use the bare mineral foundation, the photo-finish primer (I'd juuuust bought a brand new bottle before I switched to the minerals) just sits there. Also....I never loved the primer/foundation combo....too thick or something.

Today I was flipping through the new Sephora skin care catalog and saw the photo-finish primer in there.......and after my shower I decided to use it to see if it worked with the bare minerals and IT DOES!!!

The minerals went on perfectly smooth, and I used half as much as I usually do!!! The primer gets rid of any lines and fills in your pores, so when you put on the mineral foundation, you don't need very much!!!

I'm SO happy!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    I've been told by several people conditioner works good for shaving. I personally just use soap (I use Oil of Olay bars with shea butter).

When colouring your hair at home, put Vaseline along yor hairline to keep the dye from staining yoru skin. If you do get dye on yoru skin, mousten a Q-Tip or cotton ball with rubbing alcohol or even nail polish remover and gently rub/blot the stains away.

Blend foundation into your neck to avoide lines so it doesn't look like you're wearing a mask. Right now this is a must for me as I'm very tan but my face refuses to tan with the rest of me. So I have to use foundation that matches my tan. And unfortunately my neck doesn't like to tan much either so... a-blending I go.

If you get sunburned, aloe helps soothe the burn (most know this already). A good lotion with aloe in it will work too (I love the Vaseline with aloe & cucumber extract). Keeping yoru skin moistiruzed will prevent the burn from peeling and help it turn tan after a few days. If you have a tan, using lotion every day will help keep your tan longer.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

A blue liner on the lower eyelid (inside ) if you have a steady hand makes the whites of your eyes brighter , can make even the worst of nights before just go away and you can pretend that you are really awake.

Quote Originally Posted by DISNEYJUNKIE
    A blue liner on the lower eyelid (inside ) if you have a steady hand makes the whites of your eyes brighter , can make even the worst of nights before just go away and you can pretend that you are really awake.
    Actually, I suggest a white liner is more effective for this.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    If you do get dye on yoru skin, mousten a Q-Tip or cotton ball with rubbing alcohol or even nail polish remover and gently rub/blot the stains away.
    In the salon we used to use Cuticle Remover Lotion as well. I wouldn't recommend nail polish remover unless it is acetone-free. If you have sensitive skin, use any moisturizer that your skin works with. Lather it over the stains and let it sit for about 15 - 20 minutes. Use a dry wash cloth and whisk away the stain.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    Right now this is a must for me as I'm very tan but my face refuses to tan with the rest of me. So I have to use foundation that matches my tan.
    You can keep your current foundation. Get a bronzing powder or bronzing cream. Smooth these around your hairline and the start of your forehead, your temples and a slight brush down the bridge of your nose, follow the natural shadow of your cheekbones and under your chin with it.This will give you the pigment you need without having to use a darker foundation.

If you get sunburned, aloe helps soothe the burn (most know this already). A good lotion with aloe in it will work too (I love the Vaseline with aloe & cucumber extract).
    My personal choices are cocoa and shea butter creams. I love the fragrance!

• Material Girl

Revlon Illuminating Touch wand concealer (or something like that) works wonders under the eyes. I know the Yves Saint Laurent one is the famous one, but it's so expensive, and the Revlon one works just as well, imho. Sephora also make a fabulous concealing pencil - it's about $4 or $5 I think, so well worth it

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the shaving lotions info... I might have try one! My shaving cream has finally run out, and all Ralph's had was the gel, which I HATE! I hope that target has the cream. I hope they still make it!

My sunburn tip is vitamin E oil. Hurts like... heck when you apply it and it's a lil sticky, but it helps you to heal. That and aloe!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    OK, here's my awesome new favorite product...Benefit's Dr Feelgood complexion balm. I get very oily on my face through the course of a day, and this stuff just rules. It's the same consistency of lip balm, and you blot it on your face with this sponge, and immediately...No oiliness! Just awesomeness. It is colorless, too, so if you wear foundation or concealer (which I don't) you can blot it on over that, or just use it all by its awesome little self. I LOVE THIS STUFF.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    My favorite product, my SWEAR BY, is Philosophy's The Great One. It's a microdelivery peel and used once a week and it just makes your skin GLOW it's wonderful.

Clean & Clear Oil Control Sheets are wonderfUl(and cheap)

Cetaphil facial cleasner & moisturizing lotion work just as good, if not better, than many many "expensive" brands.

Boo Boo Zap by Benefit shrinks those "underground blemishes" amazingly fast.

Also, get your make-up done at Sephora or at a makeup counter to try out a new look once in awhile.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• /sigh

Ok, not so much a beauty/makeup tip, but, if you ever happen to loose the back of your earing, cut the eraser tip off a pencil, and use that for the backing. Works everytime.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I have been using an aspirin mask on my face to clear and improve my complexion. It is actually a form of beta hydroxy acid and is very gentle. Take 3-4 non-coated aspirin ( I just got cheap generic aspirin), crush and dissolve in a tablespoon with a small amount of warm water. Spread on the face and leave on a few minutes until it begins to dry. Then, GENTLY rub the mask to exfoliate for 10 seconds before washing off with tepid water.

My skin is very soft afterwards and it also help with any blemishs you may have. I have noticed an improvement overall in my skin texture and color.

If allergic to aspirin, DO NOT use this!