Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is an easy recipe that can be made to your taste and can feed a lot of people, depending on what you add.

1 can Nacho Cheese soup
    1 can spicy tomato or veggie soup
    1 chicken breast for each person
    1 can corn (drained)
    1 can black beans (drained)
    1 chopped onion
    chopped red peppers
    salsa
    shredded cheddar or jack cheese
    half and half.

prepare the chicken by chopping into chunks and sautee in a little butter. Add onions and red peppers after chicken has cooked for a few minutes. Cook chicken sompletely and set aside

In a pot or crock pot, combine two cans of soup and dillute to desired thickness with half and half. Add corn, beans, chicken mixture and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste. This can be super spicy by adding chili peppers or jalepeno peppers. Another thing you could add would be ro-tel tomatoes or rice. I add anything I have around the house that might be good and do lots of taste testing- this is a very flexible recipe.

Serve with salsa and cheese on top and with homemade tortillas.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I never ever buy jarred salsa, I usually make a big thing of salsa up and eat in all week long, on EVERYTHING It's the easier ever and you can control the spicyness and it's sooo good. Again I never measure :o

INGREDIENTS
    Hot house tomato's, I usually use about 8
    Large bunch Cilantro
    1-2 bunches of Green Onions
    1 large Red Onion
    Jalapeno, Serrano or Habenaro peppers(I like to use 2-3 jalapenos & sometimes half a habernaro)
    1 to 2 Limes

Wash and Blend! LOL! We variate between a diced up more of a pico de gallo version or a blended version. If you add the lime, seal it really good and refridgerate it, it will last up to a week in the fridge(never lasts that long around here! I eat it too quick)

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Okay one more........the easiest rice EVER! I make a huge batch one night and use it for the next night too! Tacos, enchiladas, chili rellano, mexican lasgana, chicken, fajitas, it goes with all of 'em!

Two Cups White Rice
    Two Cans Chicken Broth
    Four Cans Tomato Sauce
    Garlic cloves to taste
    1 small white onion

heat olive oil in a large skillet, when the skillet it hot pour in the rice until just turning colors, add garlic and onion. When the rice starts to brown add the tomato sauce and broth, cover and simmer on med-low for 20 minutes, stirring throughout.

That's it! It sounds simple and bland but it's soooooo good.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• /sigh

dsnylndmom...I'll bounce off of your salsa recipe

Pinapple and Mango Salsa (measure to taste)

If you can get fresh pinapple and mango..all the better. If not, canned works and is quicker too)
    Tomatoes
    Cilantro
    Garlic
    Green chiles, your choice
    Lime

Mix all ingredients till you get just the right sweet and spice flavor you like!
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Oh Tina...I'm so glad you posted the salsa recipe...I'm forever looking for a good salsa recipe. You'd think living in Tucson, you'd be able to get killer salsa here...

But everything is bleck! My kids can eat it! No heat..no spice! Barfy!

Here's my receipe for Cheaters Enchiladas. I make these when I don't want to take the time to make "real" enchiladas...and they really do taste great!

2 cans chili with or without beans
    1 can red enchilada sauce
    monterey jack cheese or cheddar or colby, shredded
    onion, diced
    corn tortillas

Warm tortillas briefly in hot oil..just til they are pliable.

Spread a spoonful of chili, add a smidge of onion and a sprinkle of cheese onto each tortilla. Fold over and lay in a pan. No need to roll up like an enchilada. Just fold them over, kinda like a taco shape. Repeat repeat repeat repeat til you run out of chili!

Cover with enchilada sauce...sprinkle a few onions on top and more cheese.

Bake at 350 till cheese is bubbly and chili is heated thru...takes like 15 minutes bake time maybe!

The kids love these! I get the mild chili and they eat them up!

I like this recipe because you can just about always have the ingredients on hand.

And they really don't taste like you put canned chili in a tortilla...they really do taste like enchiladas...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Dena, my kids love "chili tamale bake" which equals to
    two cans of chili in a casserole dish(I use a lasgana one)
    one or two cans of tamales-unwrap place on top of chili
    a ton of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    sprinklin' of onions
    back at 350 for 20 min.

They LOVE this meal! I add salad and fruit on the side and they are happy campers.

Btw, hint to warm up tortillas with no oil, place a stack in a ziploc bag but don't zip and put in the microwave for about a minute and you're good to go!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Ooo..Tina that sounds good! I, sadly, have always loved canned tamales! I'll have to try this! Wonder if I can get the kids to eat it!

And great tip on the tortillas...I'll have to try that!

• Minion

Here's a fairly simple dish that is good for hot weather suppers. I've eliminated the carrots at times and added yellow and red sliced bell peppers instead and always use a good squeeze of fresh lime at the finish. Steamed rice is great with it.

PORK STIR-FRY WITH GREEN BEANS AND PEANUTS

Ginger and crushed red pepper help round out the Thai theme of this quick dish.

12 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2x1/4-inch strips
    4 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons honey
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
    1 cup matchstick-size strips peeled carrots (about 2 medium)

2 tablespoons canola oil
    1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2x1/4-inch strips
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    3 green onions, thinly sliced
    chopped cilantro to taste
    1/4 cup finely chopped lightly salted peanuts

Mix pork, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, half of garlic, and crushed red pepper in medium bowl. Mix remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce and remaining 1/2 tablespoon honey in small bowl; set aside.

Cook green beans in large saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add carrots to green beans in water; cook 1 minute. Drain carrots and green beans. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pork mixture; stir-fry 1 minute. Transfer pork to dish. Add remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil to wok; add red bell pepper and stir-fry 1 minute. Add green beans, carrots, ginger, and remaining garlic; stir-fry 1 minute. Return pork to wok along with reserved soy sauce-honey mixture; stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with sliced green onions, chopped cilantro and chopped peanuts and serve.

• insufferable know-it-all

The family goulash: (sorry, that's just what we call it)

Slice up a potato, about 1/4" or thinner (but not too thin either) slices. Slice up a kielbasa sausage (note: turkey kielbasa is good stuff too). Put these in a deep frying pan with a can of corn (and extra water as needed) to make sure the potatoes will cook. Cover and leave it on the heat (simmer/light boil) until potatoes are soft. Season with a little salt and pepper, and THAT'S IT! It's very hearty, simple food that even guys seem to like. And it couldn't be simpler to make - even Mac and Cheese requires more steps.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• insufferable know-it-all

Forgot to add: saw this salad the other day, and it was DELISH!

Mesclun mix ("greens")
    Mint leaves mixed in with the greens (great idea!)
    Dried cranberries
    Pine Nuts
    Crumbly cheese (I think it was chevre, but could have been Feta)
    Balsamic vinagrette

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Forgot to add: saw this salad the other day, and it was DELISH!

Mesclun mix ("greens")
    Mint leaves mixed in with the greens (great idea!)
    Dried cranberries
    Pine Nuts
    Crumbly cheese (I think it was chevre, but could have been Feta)
    Balsamic vinagrette
    That sounds delish!!!

I love
    mesclun mix
    pepitas
    cojita cheese
    cilantro
    red onion
    and then a vinagrette or a cilantrol based dressing
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    The family goulash: (sorry, that's just what we call it)

Slice up a potato, about 1/4" or thinner (but not too thin either) slices. Slice up a kielbasa sausage (note: turkey kielbasa is good stuff too). Put these in a deep frying pan with a can of corn (and extra water as needed) to make sure the potatoes will cook. Cover and leave it on the heat (simmer/light boil) until potatoes are soft. Season with a little salt and pepper, and THAT'S IT! It's very hearty, simple food that even guys seem to like. And it couldn't be simpler to make - even Mac and Cheese requires more steps.

I make a similar dish..but instead of corn, I add diced onion. And sometimes, if I have it, a little beer while it's simmering! Serve it with crusty bread! Yummers! Tastes close to a great dish I had in Germany with little sausages and potatos that were so sweet you would have sworn they were candy!

• For old time sake

Ramen stir fry

1 pkg top ramen noodles (w/out the seasoning packet)
    1 pkg frozen stirfry veggies
    1 can water chestnuts (if stir fry veggies do not have them in there)
    1 can bamboo shoot
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    oil
    soy sauce
    hoisin sauce
    any type of meat (chicken, beef or you could use shrimp or tofu as well), cooked

Bring water to a boil and add top ramen noodles

put enough oil in a pan to lightly cover the bottom. heat and add garlic. cook for 1 min. Add frozen veggies, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Cook for 3 mins, add hoisin sauce (amount varies, just add to taste. I usually add 3-4 spoonfuls). stir fry for 3-5 mins or until veggies are cooked. Add cooked meat, noodles and soy sauce (to taste). Enjoy!!!

I learned this recipe from a very nice looking Asian guy.....his mom is STILL impressed that I know how to make it. The first time I made it I almost licked my plate. it is sooooooooo good.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    Four Cans Tomato Sauce
    Sounds good but could you tell me what the size of the cans are or the amount in a measuring cup? Thanks!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

HELP~ In search of Recipe!

Has anyone ever eaten at Honolulu Harry's? The only one I know of is in Corona off McKinnley. They have the most amazing appetizer- Sweet Potato Stack. It's the yummiest thing ever and I have been craving it like crazy. I was wondering of anyone has tried it and might have any ideas on how to replicate it at home.
    Last edited by TinkPink; 04-19-2005 at 06:22 PM.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast