Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACK! My hair!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

ACK! My hair!

A few months ago, I dyed my hair black. I liked the look, but have grown bored with it and wanted to go brunette again. So I bought a box of one of Feira's "hi-lift brown" shades that's made for dark hair. Colored my hair tonight... my roots are a kind of bronze/copper shade which looks kind of cool actually) and the rest of my hair still looks black! GAH!

I'd just go to my regular salon and get it fixed professionally, but I can't afford it right now. I found out there's a Redken hair academy close by. This would be a good learning experience for a student and the prices are cheap enough, so I'm going to call and see if they can squeeze me in tomorrow sometime.

Fingers crossed!

• no flash photography...

Re: ACK! My hair!

I messed up my hair using feria once. I had to go to the salon to have it fixed. It was scary. I won't use that product again.

*fingers crossed for you*

• Main Street with a friend

Good luck! What do they do to dye the hair lighter? I've never dyed my hair, so I don't really know what's involved. I hope you get an awesome student.
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by sealsm View Post
    Good luck! What do they do to dye the hair lighter? I've never dyed my hair, so I don't really know what's involved. I hope you get an awesome student.
    I think the bleach it.

I've used Feira on and off for years and never had a problem with their product until now. I've used all kinds of home hair color (Revlon ColorSilk, Clairol Herbal Essence, L'Oreal Preference, etc.) and have never had a problem. So this just bugs me because I've been dying my hair myself 80% of the time over the last 15 years.

If they have to bleach out my hair then dye it... so be it. I have a budget of no more $100 to work with though as rent is due this weekend and I don't get paid again until next Thursday. My regular salon charges $56 per hour for color correction. Yeeps!

At least with a hair academy, the students are closely supervised. And it's a Redken academy, which is one of the most well-known high-end haircare brands in the world. I looked into the local Aveda Institute, but their prices were almost as much as a regular salon.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

They should be able to use a color stripping type of product to fix your hair. I know my aunt's gotten stuff like that at the beauty supply store before and its' worked fine.

Before I started getting my hair done professionally, I swore by Feria. It was the only one that really really took to my hair. It's just hard going from black to anything(btdt!) Good luck and let us know how it goes

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Princess of my own world

With dying your hair black, you either (should) have to professionally treated to strip the color from it, which is not that healthy for your hair or just let it grow out and keep the roots dyed a different color. Black is a color you can't dye over and things may not go well if you try to bleach over it, you could still end up with black streets or way damaged hair.

I used to have black hair and I just let mine grow out. My sister has had her hair stripped and treated and actually spent close to 8 hours at the salon to get it all done.

• Circle of Ancients

Aimster.... I love Feria brand , but I agree with another poster that it probably didn't work out right because you were trying to lighten hair that it black. I don't think there's any way to do that without stripping it or bleaching it.

One of my daughtres had all over blue hair and one of my daughters had all over red hair. (Their natural color is blonde) The one with blue hair bleached out all of her hair to almost white , dyed it ash blonde and then highlighted it heavily. It came out almost identical to her natural color. The one with red hair had it stripped three times and then highlighted it heavily and it came out looking strawberry blonde. I also think the stripping was way more harsh than the bleaching and it was smellier too.

I hope everything comes out all right with you hair Aimster! Please let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.

Well, I called the Redken academy and they were booked up today, so I made an appointment for after work on Monday. They said what they'll need to do it bleach out the black and then dye it the color I want (I want a bronze-brown color... funky but pretty). Going to cost me around $70-$75, but that's WAY cheaper that what my regular salon would charge. The guy I talked to this morning (one of the instructors) agreed it'll be a good learning experience for his students.

• Princess of my own world

Good luck.. just becareful. My sister dyed her hair a dark color, her hair is naturally blonde, then had my aunt (who used to be a beautician) bleach her hair back to blonde and it came out orange.

Best of luck!

• Senior Minion

When I first moved to Ohio, I went to a salon in the mall to get my hi-lites touched up and they bleached all my hair! It ruined my hair.
    My brother wanted to dye his tips blonde and ended up turning his hair orange.

Good luck on getting your hair fixed how you want it!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

My natural color is a dark, mousey brown (which outside of the roots, I haven't seen since I was 18). I've had my hair highlighted blonde a couple times. My hair is actually in really good shape despite the abuse I've put it through the last 15 years.

I'm at the salon right now. They're putting heavy highlights in my hair then putting a toner over that. It'll be a rich warm golden brown when its done. All this plus a haircut is only $62!

• Main Street with a friend

$62? Sweet!
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

Well, the highlights aren't as heavy as I was expecting, but it breaks up the darker color and they look nice. The girl cut it with a razor to give it some texture. I love razor cuts and I needed a trim in general bad (was supposed to get it cut 3 months ago and cancelled the appointment because I had something come up, then never rescheduled). The teacher liked her decision to do that too. They wrote down what they did tonight along with what colors they used and told me to come back in a month and they'll work on it some more as my roots will be more grown out then. I'm going to see if they can do the highlights heavier next time. Going to try to get the same student that did my hair tonight. She was nice and did a good job.

Was interesting getting my hair done at a school. The students that didn't get clients and didn't have class kept busy practicing on each other and their mannequin heads, or they watched what others were doing. Had quite a few students come watch what was being done with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast