Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinion

•   
    • Kerplookee

Need Opinion

I got an interesting dilemma and need others POV.

My g/f of 3 years is finishing her training in the medical field and her graduation is in the middle of July. There is a huge banquet on Fri night and the walking ceremony is Saturday.

One of my best friends called me the other day and asked me to be IN his wedding on that same Saturday.

I'm pretty sure what I'm going to do but would love some input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Need Opinion

Girlfriend and anything important to her supersedes almost anything over your friends. My husband (then boyfriend) missed something that was important to me when we were serious dating, and I never forgot it (but he doesn't know that since I don't bring it up - no need to make him feel bad for something that happened so long ago).

• Banned User

She comes first, maybe you guys can leave the saturday thing early and get to the wedding or you can ask her your self, " hon can we do the friday thing, and will you understand if I go to the wedding Saturday ? you will know if its yes or no right away by asking her.
    edited to add..... how long this man been your friend? if longer then her, then I am sure she will understand that friday is for her, Saturday is for him.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Girlfriend and anything important to her supersedes almost anything over your friends. My husband (then boyfriend) missed something that was important to me when we were serious dating, and I never forgot it (but he doesn't know that since I don't bring it up - no need to make him feel bad for something that happened so long ago).
    I must make sure you know I was asked to be IN the wedding...not just invited.

And your stance seems to be anything the wife/g/f deems important supersedes the man's agenda?

I am really curious to know what your b/f missed. care to share?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

•   

I think it depends on your girlfriend. Of course its important to her but if she's understanding then she might accept you being at the party with her Friday and your friends wedding the next day. Me personally, I don't know what the hell I'd do in that situation! Any way you can make both???

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck44 View Post
    I must make sure you know I was asked to be IN the wedding...not just invited.

And your stance seems to be anything the wife/g/f deems important supersedes the man's agenda?
    No. I said almost anything. Now that I go back and reread your post, I see that her functions are for 2 days. You may be able to get away with this one and go with her on Friday, and the wedding on Saturday. If I were her, this would work for me. Won't hurt to ask.

FYI, I had a major performance (ballet dancer) which we knew about for months and I asked him to get the day off work. He didn't even try and ask for the day off.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Why not talk to her about it? If she's dating you, she must be patient and understanding.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    Why not talk to her about it? If she's dating you, she must be patient and understanding.
    and have a stomache of shear iron

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I had to go to my Best Friend's rehearsal ceremony and I missed my Grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary.

Choose wisely my friend. This happened 11 years ago and I still hear about it. Most of the time I bring it up just to make certain family members angry.

Check with all parties involved right away to make sure no feelings will be trampled.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I agree talk to her and see what's her opinion. Plus a lot of things change in 7 months.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    and have a stomache of shear iron
    She's probably blind, too.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I had to go to my Best Friend's rehearsal ceremony and I missed my Grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary.

Choose wisely my friend. This happened 11 years ago and I still hear about it. Most of the time I bring it up just to make certain family members angry.

Check with all parties involved right away to make sure no feelings will be trampled.
    I must admit, there are things Hubster did that I still guilt him about. Hell hath no fury...

• Senior Minion

Personally, I think it is ok to be with her Friday and skip the walking ceremony for the wedding. At least on Friday you can spend one on one time with her and celebrate her achievment, whereas on Saturday it's the whole class graduating.

Have you ever been to one of these? They announce EVERYBODY'S name, and sure it is a time to be proud ... but it is also boring to wait through everyone being called up to receive their diploma. I'd say celebrating with her at the dinner would be so much better then being there for some mass ceremony. Then again I skipped my walking ceremony.

But, as the others have said, it would be a good idea to ask her first. Although, if you plan on not being there Saturday make Friday a special (and memorable) night.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I must admit, there are things Hubster did that I still guilt him about. Hell hath no fury...
    So true. My Dead Uncle Bill had so many wise sayings. Here's a sample:

"Don't start no sh**, there won't be no sh**".

So true.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    So true. My Dead Uncle Bill had so many wise sayings. Here's a sample:

"Don't start no sh**, there won't be no sh**".

So true.
    Hmmm ... a friend of mine used that on his g/f during one of the work Christmas parties I attended. Needless to say, he spent NYE alone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast