Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Haircut Question

UGH for once I'm undecided (ok for always? LOL)

Here's the deal.... I usually get my haircut at a nice, expensive fabulous salon a few times a year. I've stopped going to the "cheapy" places and just splurge every 4 or 5ish months.

Well, last time I went (in Nov, I believe) I got this cool sideswept bangs thing where they were cut diffrent sizes and I wore them on the side (if that makes sense)

Well, now they're still different lengths but long enough that it doesn't look like I have bangs. I REALLY!!!! want my nice short bangs again. I look great in bangs, and I prefer really really short ones. As soon as they reach my eyebrows, it's time to get them cut.

But... in 2 weeks I am getting my engagement pics taken. My hair looks pretty good this length w/the long bangs - usually. Some days it doesn't. It just depensd on how it feels lol

I'm torn on what to do - do I go to a cheapie place and try to explain to them why my bangs are diffrent lengths and how I want them all cut SUPER short OR do I spend a lot of $$ I don't have to go to my regular place to get them cut - just the bangs and lil trim. OR! do I just keep it as is and wait for after the engagement shoot and then decide what to do?

I am a little scared if I get them real short it'll look dorky, and that the longer look will be better for the shoot - look better in pics.

I'm totally totally torn on this

Help?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: Haircut Question

My opinion: Do NOT go to a cheapie place. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes they are really bad. Don't trust them with a time when you want to look good (engagement pix). Try calling your regular "good" salon, and see if they will cut just the bangs for a reduced price. I know that I can pop in and see my regular girl and she will trim my bangs for free.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Me, I am quite happy to go to the cheapie places. I find a stylist there I like, and try to stick with them. Yesterday I spent $18 after a $5.00 tip and was quite delighted with my hair when I left.

However, if I was used to using someone - and I wanted my hair done the way they previously did it (cheapie or pricey), I'd go back to them for something like an engagement photo. It isn't about cheap/expensive, it's about consistency. Your stylist should be able to keep your hair cut the way you want.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

How about a Flowbee?

• no flash photography...

speaking only for me, I would be hesitant to do anyhting I was unsure about before an important event.

• Circle of Ancients

Remember this rule of thumb with bangs....you can always go a little shorter, but once they're too short , you have to wait for them to get longer. I think you should wash your hair , dry it , and then ask the hairdresser to snip off only a little bit at a time until it is just the right length for you. Good luck!

PS Even an expensive hairdresser shouldn't charge that much for just your bangs.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

lol onut!!!!

princessy, they do offer free bang cuts (though I've never done that) but this would be more than that - I want a regular cut and then a trim. This might be past the "free" part!

I'm just scared they'll be TOO short before I get these pics taken, tough I really truly do look really good w/really short bangs. But I am freaking out!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I would be hesitant to do anything right before a big event, like your engagement pictures. If you feel your hair is at a good length now I would stick with that for thepictures. If something happens and your bangs are cut too short right before your pictures you don't have a lot of options to fix it.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post

I'm just scared they'll be TOO short before I get these pics taken,
    That's funny, because I've been having the opposite problem. I cannot get my hairdresser to CUT my hair. I've moved around a lot in the past 5 years, and so I have to find new hairdressers. They are always afraid to go too short. I even show them pictures, and they are still afraid. I guess that they've run into some unhappy clients in the past about too short.

Good luck! And remember, even though this is a first important photo shoot throughout the whole wedding time, it isn't as important as your actual wedding. Think of this as a practice run. In the future, you will be looking at your wedding photos, not your engagement photos, for the most part.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    I would be hesitant to do anything right before a big event, like your engagement pictures. If you feel your hair is at a good length now I would stick with that for thepictures. If something happens and your bangs are cut too short right before your pictures you don't have a lot of options to fix it.

I agree completely with dysnylndmom. I made the mistake of wanting to look really good for my wedding and got my haircut two days before the wedding. I ended up with shorter hair than Fishbulb has . Wait until after the pictures are taken.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I agree completely with dysnylndmom. I made the mistake of wanting to look really good for my wedding and got my haircut two days before the wedding. I ended up with shorter hair than Fishbulb has . Wait until after the pictures are taken.
    Awww...

I didn't have any engagement pics taken, and I didn't cut my hair before our wedding. But then again, we had a very casual wedding - we paid $50 for flowers, maybe $30 for cupcakes and a cake (all from Sams), etc. I wasn't trying to impress, and most everyone wore jeans/slacks. So I didn't feel a need to worry about my hair (though I had a good hair day!)
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

No matter how much you spend on your wedding it's important to feel good about yourself. I don't see where NNL wrote anything about trying to impress anyone, she obviously just wants to look her best for her pictures.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Little Miss Sunshine

No matter how much you spend on your wedding it's important to feel good about yourself. I don't see where NNL wrote anything about trying to impress anyone, she obviously just wants to look her best for her pictures.
    I wasn't meaning it like that - I just didn't care as much about clothes, hair, etc. like many brides would. When guests started arriving, we were still in our shorts, running around trying to get work done. So hair cut, no hair cut - we never had any professional portraits taken (and still haven't), so I didn't have to worry about it.

If NNL does get her bangs done, I'd do it now (not later), just to allow them a tiny bit of growth time if they get cut too short.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

This is really good advice!

I really like PrincessY's suggestion about going to your hairdresser to see about freshening up your bangs. What I would do is call the hairdresser at the expensive place. Explain that you can't afford a regular haircut right now, but you would like for your hair to look nice for your engagement pictures. She might be able to work with you on a price for styling (not cutting) your hair for the pictures.

You already know that you like how she styles your hair. She will understand about not wanting a drastic change before the pictures. You never know unless you ask.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

LB - when you go to the expensive place to get your hair cut, is it usually with the same person? The reason I mention this is that my hairdresser lets me stop by in between appointments so she can trim my bangs for me. She doesn't charge me for this (although I do tip her $10). It's a nice Aveda salon ... so maybe yours will do the same.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast