Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Re: Have kids? Let's chat about them here...

Quote Originally Posted by lafantasma
    My son is 2 1/2 and gave me his first insult the other day. He came up to me, gave me a big hug, and then said loudly, "PU! You smell like pickles!" Thank goodness we were at home. My husband about died laughing. I made him check to be sure I didn't stink, but wonder... When is going to start saying things like that to strangers? Uh-oh.
    LOL, it won't be long! I've had my kids pull up my shirt in public, put their hands in my shirt and pants, say things really loudly, accuse me of farting or fart really loudly themselves... oh the list goes on and on! Once, my oldest and my husband were really into this joke that goes: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting Cow. Interupp... MOO! So they were in the car interrupting each other yelling MOO over the other one and we get out and are walking into the grocery store and there are two rather large women walking towards us and my daughter yells out "MOO!" I just KNEW they thought she was talking about them, I was so embarrassed!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    She's even reached into the back of pants when I was in line at Starbucks and pulled on my G-string and snapped it. In front of people.
    Believe it or not, Paige has done this to me. Horrific, isn't it? I must say, I had my revenge yesterday. We were shopping for an outfit for picture day at Kohl's. Anders was with us, looking rather ill-equipped for the juniors department, when Paige whispered to em, really quietly, "I need a new bra."
    So I said, "We're not shopping for bras today" in a normal tone of voice, and she hisses at me, "MOM!" for saying bra out loud. So I chased her down the aisle saying, "Bra! Bra! Bra! Breasts! Bra! Boobs! Bra! BRA!" She was completely mortified.

Yeah, I'm the worst mother in the whole world.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    So I chased her down the aisle saying, "Bra! Bra! Bra! Breasts! Bra! Boobs! Bra! BRA!" She was completely mortified.

Yeah, I'm the worst mother in the whole world.
    Will you come up here to Portland for a weekend and mortify MY children???

There will be tequiiiiiiiiiiiiiila in it for youuuuuuuu......

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Will you come up here to Portland for a weekend and mortify MY children???

There will be tequiiiiiiiiiiiiiila in it for youuuuuuuu......
    That could be arranged.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• See what I got?

Quote Originally Posted by All Aglow
    LOL, it won't be long! I've had my kids pull up my shirt in public, put their hands in my shirt and pants, say things really loudly, accuse me of farting or fart really loudly themselves... oh the list goes on and on! Once, my oldest and my husband were really into this joke that goes: Knock, knock. Who's there? Interrupting Cow. Interupp... MOO! So they were in the car interrupting each other yelling MOO over the other one and we get out and are walking into the grocery store and there are two rather large women walking towards us and my daughter yells out "MOO!" I just KNEW they thought she was talking about them, I was so embarrassed!

HA! I know that joke! We taught it to my DS and now it's about the only knock-knock joke he knows. He is a little off on the interupting part though. Oh well. We have also extended that joke to about anything that makes noise, i.e. cats, dogs, elephants, ducks, etc.

• Just Me

Well, it has been a fun few days with the golf cart...did I mention that thing can haul *** and Hubby is tearing up the yard (I am totally innocent)? Hubby was driving and doing donuts at full speed when The Boy fell out. Today The Boy ran Hubby into a tree (a very large mulberry). Then I am driving The Boy when I slid in the mud (sprinklers+torn up yard=mud). I hit the brake before I hit the fence, in the same spot that was just replaced. The Boy had to make sure his dad knew it, and then The Boy told our neighbors. I just smiled and told him that was how NOT to hit the fence.

*sigh* I am really glad school starts on Monday!

• Banned User

I am a mom to two kids, a boy 27 who I have not seen in a year. and a 10 year old girl, I am also raising 2 grand sons. I raised my 27 year old by myself, gave him everything he could ask for and he never wanted for anything. I am sad when I think of him because he decided to go into drugs and abuse me. I had to restrain him from coming around because he is to violent.
    I miss him but not his treatment or his lack of love for me his grand parents or his kids.

I have a 10 year old daughter, who is so awsome! she is kind, gentle, and such a helper that I think she is to good to be true She is so tall ( 5;3 right now) and wears a womans size nine shoe! Her dad was 6'5 so I am sure she will be super tall to.
    She is going into the 6th grade, an honor student and will be going back into violin. I gave her 2 bedrooms on the top floor so she could have her own " apartment" and space, She deserves it to get away from 2 spit fires boys LOL!

I have 2 grand children, they are so wonderful and such a handful!!
    my first baby is going to be 5 in November, I have been raising him since he was 5 weeks old! I got to adopt him a few years ago and I will be ever grateful for this!!
    He is awsome and no one can tell he is autistic, he has been worked with for 3 years now and can talk, and looks and acts normal. He to me is perfect!!
    my second grandson is 3, what a cutie pie.He is a handful as he likes to tease the older one and trys to make him cry. Man I am on this boy as he just loves to tease non stop. He and his brother have been going to pre school and day care. Soon they will be going to 4 hour head start. Raising thes boys and my daughter by my self has been hard, but rewarding. Yeah somedays I want to be looose and free, but I am not so there is no use thinking about it. I went to disneyland the first time in my whole life in August of last year and took my grandson who was 3 almost 4 and we had a horrible time. He cried because there was to much confusing for him. we spent most of our time at the motel in the pool. It was sad we went all the way there on a plane and we did not go on by a few rides but I got to go back by my self for 3 days in april and meet some awsome people. I am saving up now ( god knows where I am going to get enough money LOL!) so me and my 10 year old can go back in April and she can experience what the real disney is all about. It was sad she had to spend the time with us at the motel, but I am going to make sure she gets to go back and ride the rides and see the carectors this time!!
    I can not afford to take the youngest this year but maybe in the future.
    I am caring for my nephew who is handicapped ( I work for the state in caring for him)and my aging parents so getting away is not possible at all. my sister promised me she would come stay five days in April so I can go again, I am praying she keeps her word. She lives in a different state so The only close family I have is my parents and they are elderly.ok, so you know a little about me now I am glad to be here and enjoy all your posts!!! thank you for alowing me to come here and post though I do not know to many of you, I have been welcomed by many people and I thank you!!!

• Minion

This is a great thread...

I have a son (stepson legally, but mine in my heart) who is going to be 23 y/o. He is in college and wants to become a psychiatrist. He is very mellow and calm. He would have made an excellent police officer also. Good temperment.

DD1 is going to 21 in September. She is my special girl. She will always live with us and make sure that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny show up. Together we stay busy with volunteer work in the community and at our church. The programs available are not suitable for her, in my mother's opinion.

DD2 is 18 and starting community college on Monday. Tonight she is at a Tom Petty concert at the Berkeley Greek Theater as a photographer for our local paper. Her boyfriend is a freshman at Berkeley, so this past week has been hard for both of them. They are totally best friends and miss each other.

DD3 is 10, starting 5th grade next Thursday (where did the time go?). She is indulged as only the youngest by so many years can be. She is an absolute joy and keeps me going. She is big into pets. Currently we have a small zoo thanks to her...3 ducks, 1 rabbit, 1 guinea pig, 2 finches, 3 cats, 1 hermit crab, 3 fish, and the best dog in the world. And, yes, mom and dad do most of the zoo chores! ha ha!

I would have loved to have another child after DD3...it just wasn't meant to be...I'm waiting for grandchildren and I have a feeling it will be a long wait!

Next...
    Last edited by disneymeimei; 08-27-2005 at 08:29 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    Barbaraan, I totally agree. I think ADD and ADHD are way over diagnosed. I think MANY MANY children (and adults including myself) have a very hard time concentrating and are overactive. It was never a "disorder" when I was younger.

I know some kids do need medication and I have no prob with that.

But I would most likely not medicate my child. Some doctors are coming up with natural ways to treat children with ADD and ADHD and I hope people start to look into these alternative ways and pressure their family doctors to look into them as well. Many of them have been succesful. I normally do not subsribe to the Homeopathic Medications, but in this case I think it would definitely be worth trying before medicating. Especially because simple diet changes seem to have an effect.

Just my .02.
    Actually, its underdiagnosed, especially in girls. It has been a disorder since the late 1800s. It was classified a moral defect then. In the 60s, when I was growing up, kids who were "Minimally Brain Damaged" (the term for it then) were placed in the "MR classes". I know this, because it was where my brother was placed. My father refused to allow him to try medication then. The doctor was recommending Ritalin. My father opted for diet and homeopathic. From the 1st to 5th grade, my brother was in a very restrictive class, where he did almost nothing. Surprisingly, in 5th grade, it was discovered he had an IQ of 143. Suddenly, the school had to mainstream him. He was very negative about school. He was into drugs by the age of 12, he was stealing to support his habit by 13, he was dropped out by 16, by 17, he had over 20 arrests. He finally entered the military. He spent about an equal amount of time working and in the brig. Finally about 37, he turned his life around.

My son was diagnosed at age 6, and I already knew diet and homeopath didn't work. Our doctor recommended meds, and we opted to try. It was so amazing to see the change in him. Suddenly, he was the child he wanted to be. Its been 11 years, the kid carries a 3.4 GPA, he is on the varsity football team, he is the kid every teacher wants for their TA, he attained his blackbelt in karate, and spars competitively. My dad did everything he could for my brother except the one thing that worked. I opted to take the opposite of my father. I was not going to let my son walk the path as my brother.

Sorry for the soap box stand. I've done the research. Current research actually shows starting medication helps the brain rewire and decreases the issues as the child becomes an adult. The last 3 major studies have been totally amazing, and have reassured me I made the right decision.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Now that I jumped in with both feet, let me tell you about my 4 kids..

A is my oldest at 19. He is a golfer and on the college golf team. He is a great kid, hasn't decided what he wants to do in life, but is taking general classes. He thinks he wants to be a film maker. He is a 1st degree blackbelt.

K is my second oldest, and just turned 19. (They are 10 mos apart.) She is also in college, is working towards becoming a teacher, and loves school. She was my straight A student (AP placement) and while it sounds like an easy child, she is definately the A personality of the family. She started college with 8 units behind her, and is working on completing her 5 year acreditation in 4.5 years. She already has plans for her Masters in history. She did all this while completing her tests for her 2nd degree in blackbelt. She also competes in sparring, adn was last years 14-17yo female blackbelt belt champion in Lake Tahoe (its a Northern CA regional.) She raises service dogs for wheelchair or other disabilities.

J is number 3 at age 17. He is my ADHHHHHHHHHHDer. He is a lineman on his varsity football team, starting both ways, is active on FFA and the ski clubs, had 8 teachers trying to get him for their TA this year, works 2 jobs, bought his own car by age 16, and is an all around great kid. He holds a 1st degree blackbelt, and teaches karate when not playing football.

S is the baby at 15. She is Aspie and a very interesting child. She is in high school and very active in FFA. She is attempting to convince her FFA advisor that the officers need to go to DCA to check out the Agri area, then figures they can visit Disneyland. She is a brown belt in karate. She loves to travel and is into old shows (prefers Bonanza and Andy Griffith.) She can also compete with any adult about Walt history.

Thats a brief summary of my kids. I did leave out ALL love Disneyland, and we had a blast at the 50th. Heading back in December as a family.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• My cuties!

Malcon10t, are your oldest 2 bio siblings? I just wondered because of how close in age they are! Almost like having twins, huh?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom
    Malcon10t, are your oldest 2 bio siblings? I just wondered because of how close in age they are! Almost like having twins, huh?
    Yep, they are. BTW - Nursing doesn't prevent pregnancy! (OK, I knew it before it happened.) It was a lot like having twins. And the younger of the 2, my daughter, was actually faster in a lot of aspects. She potty trained first, talked earlier, was more advanced. Most people mistook her for being the older one. Even now, she is more mature than he is.

• <3

Blog Entries

Malcon10t - your kids sound wonderfully busy, gotta love that. I'm really interested that your younger two are doing so well. It couldn't have been easy raising both an ADHD child and an Asperger's child, but I suspect it is rewarding in such a special way to see how they have turned out so far - good for you!!

I'm so glad to hear your comparison of how your brother lived his life and what a difference your son's life has been. We have our appointment with Autumn's doctors on Tuesday morning, so we'll see what they want to talk about or suggest then. While she is doing a lot better so far this year, she keeps getting marked down basically because her mind just drifts way too much and she really doesn't do well being corralled back to the activity at hand when she's not ready yet. She's not been bad enough to throw a fit and get hysterical like many times last year, so that is a step in the right direction, but she keeps getting distracted and missing the schoolwork, lecture or whatever she's supposed to be doing at the time. Her focus is just not there, she had a sheet of 8 questions and the first two were perfect and they slowly went downhill from there until the last two she didn't even attempt. I'm hoping we can figure out something to help her stay with the class better.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• most magical vaca ever

Hello, I am a newbie on MC ... I am really loving this site!!!

Anyway.... I have been blessed with 2 children

Boy "Dee" age 11 (April 94')- He started the 6th grade last week and is an honor student (feels just like yesterday he started PreK) He was diagnosed with ADHD back in 2002. Ever since he was 2 I knew there was just something 'different' about him compared to other kids. He is currently taking Strattera for his ADHD and the only issues we have with him lately are the normal pre-adolescent ones (JOY). He LOVES the Yankees and loves playing soccer. He just started his 4th year of soccer and has his first game tonight. He is a very good bowler too -he's been on a league since he's 5 years old. I had "Dee" when I was 20 years old and single, it made me grow up a lot faster than all my other friends who are only having their first children now.

Daughter "Rimi" age 7 (March 98')- She just started 2nd grade last week. She is the total opposite of her brother when it comes to behavioral issues. She was the baby you read about in baby books, you know the one that sleeps all night long by one month old and never spits up or cries. Well, now that she is 7 she cries and whines over everything I guess she has to make up for all those good years LoL! She also loves soccer (first game tonight as well), dance class and bowling. She has won several trophies in bowling which gets her brother mad Some of you may already know that my daughter is VERY accident prone so I'm sure I'll be writing about her latest incidents eventually on this board

Oddly... my son LOVES to sew and my daughter LOVES bugs go figure....

• <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    Oddly... my son LOVES to sew and my daughter LOVES bugs go figure....
    DMof2, your kids sound awesome, I love that last line! Good for them!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast