View Poll Results: You need a costume for the Renn Faire. You:

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy something online.

1 7.69%
  • Search for a seamstress in your area.

3 23.08%
  • Make it yourself and hope for the best.

3 23.08%
  • Buy something at a faire.

5 38.46%
  • Other (please specify).

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Now 40% less bitter!

Renaissance Faire questions

All right ladies, I have a question. What would you do (or have you done) were you in my situation?
    In the fall I will be attending/working a Renaissance Faire. It is part of a big vacation I am taking, and I am in need of a new costume. I kind of want something a little prettier than what I had last time, and I'm not sure how to go about getting one. I've researched websites of stores and online seamstresses. A lot of them seem to sell the exact same thing, and then I just get overwhelmed. I've felt out for seamstresses in my area, with not much luck (I've actually found some patterns that I can purchase). While I'd love to learn, I've rarely sewn anything.
    Should I just purchase something from a Faire? Bite the bullet and attempt to make my own thing? Search for a seamstress? What would you do?
    Oo-de-lally!

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Re: Renaissance Faire questions

Heya!

I purchased a bodice from this site, Odd Bodkins.com.

I loved it! The lady who runs the site is fantastic. They get my reccomendation.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

I have to confess that I am in the SCA, so I already have what we call garb. I say, sew it yourself.

I taught myself to sew costumes by following instructions in patterns, starting with cheap fabrics, and being prepared to unpick if I got it wrong. If you have some patience,and can sew a straight line, I suggest that you sew it yourself. It will fit you, probably better than something ordered over the internet, and be in the color and style you want.

If you want to sew, and save a lot of money, there are some great Ren Faire patterns available. Look in the costume section of pattern books at your local fabric store. Try Simplicity, as their instructions are fairly straightforward. If you look for patterns without too many fiddley pieces and take your time you should be fine.

You can use scraps to make a headdress or a drawstring bag to use as a purse.

If you don't particularly care about being authentic, make a long shift/dress, and a bodice/lace up vest to go over it. Use a colourful plain fabric, and you have an outfit. A bit more accurate is to go for a shift/bodice/skirt combo. I suggest that if it will be hot at the Faire that the layer next to your skin, whether it is a dress or shift be either cotton or linen. Synthetic fabric on a long hot day = heat exhaustion. Having natural fabrics can make quite snug fitting costumes much more comfortable.

I also suggest that you pin up and fit things before you sew them.

You can get pretty with a good choice of colours and trim, and pretty up a plainer outfit with flowers, a veil, necklace. If you want to show some cleavage, and promise me you will wear sunscreen, frame the "girls "by using lace trim on the neck of the shift. Check out your fabric shop for trim. If you think that sewing it on is too hard, and you don't intend to wash and reuse the costume a lot, you could glue on gems or even all the trim. Use a flexible glue that will dry clear. In Australia I use 450, but check with your fabric store.
    Visited DLR 1976,1978,1991,2001,2007, 2011; WDW 1976,1985: DLRP 2010

• decorating

buy the bodice, make the rest.
    That's what I did... to me, makng the corset would be insanely hard, but peasant clothes are not all that hard.

Yeah, yeah! What she said! ^^^

I bought my bodice and "made" my skirt by saftey pinning matching fabric to a skirt I got at Ross (for a Highschool dance). The skirt had tulle under it, so with the fabric pinned on, it looked nice and full. It wa s great short cut. I guess it wasn't a long term solution, but it worked for that one day!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

have it made, or you try making it. because arent the costumes at the ren faire insanely expensive?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

there's always Ebay!!!! I'm sure you can find something there.

You might try looking into costume rentals, may save you a little money unless you are wanting your own stuff for the future. Also you might want to check out thrift stores in your area if you have any good ones. As was noted above, skirts are pretty easy to make yourself. And duct tape is great for hemming (don't tell my mother I said that, she's a seamstress).

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
    buy the bodice, make the rest.
    That's what I did... to me, makng the corset would be insanely hard, but peasant clothes are not all that hard.

That's a really great idea!

As far as cost, if you're working there every weekend or go every year , then it's definitely cheaper to own a costume than keep renting one.

And even if you own you can still keep adding things to the costume every year to make it different and fun!

• Hiding in the shadows

If you know how to sew even a bit then I agree with the others and buy the bodice and make the rest.

If you really don't want to sew it and you don't want to pay an arm and a leg my advice would be to go to a local fabric shop (Like Joannes) and talk to someone there (look for a mature lady that really looks like she knows what she is doing). I know most of the ladies at my local Joannes sew costumes on the side are are far cheaper than finding a seamstress somewhere else.

A little piece of heaven

• Circle of Ancients

I just thought of something else. I've seen bodices sometimes at Hot Topic for a lot less than Ren Faire prices. I've also seen them at other stores in downtown Santa Cruz. Just keep your eyes open every time you go shopping and maybe a bodice where you least expect it will pop out at you!

• Now 40% less bitter!

Thank you, ladies, for your help and suggestions! It sounds like I still have a lot to consider. With almost six months, hopefully I can come up with something. I do have a peasant's costume (shift, bodice and skirt) that I bought about ten years ago at the RPF when it was still in Devore, CA. I paid $60 for the whole thing. After a decade, the shift lost some of it's oomph in one of the sleeves and the bodice doesn't fit quite right, anymore.
    I think one of the things that overwhelms me is the whole bodice issue. I probably will purchase a bodice, at least. Some of the sites I found suggested that I wear a corset underneath my bodice (a corset being the really stiff thing that gives you the ideal renaissance femenine shape and keeps "the girls" in place). They also seem to advertise how their bodices have steel boning in them. Since I've rarely sewn, I'm not sure how skilled I'd be at adding steel boning to my own bodice.
    Right now what I'm thinking is I might purchase the bodice, maybe a bustier, make a new shift (those look pretty simple), and teach myself how to sew. Then I can make my own costume and wear it at next year's faire.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Now 40% less bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    Heya!

I purchased a bodice from this site, Odd Bodkins.com.

I loved it! The lady who runs the site is fantastic. They get my reccomendation.
    Im looking through their site right now, and their stuff looks great! I like the "goddess bodice"!
    Oo-de-lally!

I actually have a Godess Bodice! I got it about four years ago and it really is a high quality piece!

Looking at the site, I'd LOVE to get a Brigantine bodice! SOoo schmexy! I love the collar part and it has a hint of pirate to it.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Yeah, I saw that one too! It's nice!
    Oo-de-lally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast