Thread: Sofa Slipcovers

• Clearing my Calendar

Sofa Slipcovers

We have an old couch that was handed down to us from a family moving overseas. It was a beautiful white couch with a floral print design on it. Now, as we've had it for five years and it's been through three moves, it's not so pretty (it's discolored, faded, and torn in several places ).

As we're looking at moving yet again, I thought it'd be a fun idea to look into slipcovers for it to give the new home an even newer look.

The problem I'm running into is that the back is a hard back and the back cushions are separate. I'm fairly certain this affects whether I can buy a standard slip cover- - right?

Does anyone have slipcovers on their couch? Are the standard made ones pretty forgiving to the overall shape of the couch? Better yet: does anyone have a slip cover on their couch that has seperate back cushions?

Ideally I'd prefer to buy a new couch alltogether because the cushions (seat *and* back) are not holding their shape well anyway. But we definitely can't afford more than $500 at MOST for one.

Any ideas as to either solution?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Sofa Slipcovers

We had a slipcover on our old couch. All of the cushions were separate and the cover just fit over the whole thing. There are ties on the sides to adjust the fit. Slipcovers can be expensive, depending on the fabric. I got mine from http://www.surefit.net/ It definitely got us a couple of extra years out of our couch.
    A signature should go here.

• Clearing my Calendar

Ok! So there's a little wiggle room!

I'll renew my search!

Thanks!
    and the stars come out,

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

I had to squish one of the back cushions to fit, since they were the kind of cushions that overlapped, but once I had them wedged in place, it was fine. I think they even suggest taking one cushion off, if you can't quite make it work. So it can totally be done!
    A signature should go here.

• Man O Lantern

If you do have $500 to spare on new couches, you might want to look on craigslist. I've seen some almost new items on there at giveaway prices. Some people just need to get furniture out quickly, so they practically give their couches away.

Also, I don't know if you have any local furniture manufacturers, but we have a few here in Oregon and their outlet stores are way cheap and you get to pick your own fabric even. I didn't realize that the last time I bought couches and I am still beating myself up about it. Most of my savvy friends had their couches custom made for about $400!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have a slipcover on my couch. The back cushions were 3 separate cushions. I took them off and got some plushy microsuede toss pillows at Linens N Things to use as back cushions instead. I got the slipcover at Target.

FYI, my couch is khaki colored and I got a chocolate brown slipcover, then khaki/stone & dark red toss pillows for the back. Looks like an entirely different couch. I love it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I just asked my roommate and she got ours at either Bed Bath and Beyond or Target. We don't have a separate back, but it could fit over a sofas like that. There are starps but ours fits pretty good without them. It's lasted quite awhile too.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Clearing my Calendar

Wow! Thanks for all the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    If you do have $500 to spare on new couches, you might want to look on craigslist. I've seen some almost new items on there at giveaway prices. Some people just need to get furniture out quickly, so they practically give their couches away.
    I thought of craigslist after I posted this. I perused today's and yesterday's listing (a surprising amount) and there were some amazing deals! Not necessarily all in my price range or including what we were looking for (we don't need a whole living room set, etc).

I'll definitely keep my eyes on that.

I'll also look to see if there's any manufacturers in the area (do I just google it?). That sounds really awesome, too!
    and the stars come out,

• Circle of Ancients

We had a similar kind of couch that we gave to the twins for their apartment. We got the slipcovers at Ikea. They don't fit exactly , but they're close enough and they look great on the couch!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I'd check at IKEA, that's my favorite store for frunishing, maybe because I'm cheap, idk..
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

They're opening an IKEA in Tampa next year. I am so screwed.

I had a slip cover on my old couch. I think I ordered it from Domestications.com. It worked pretty good. I used a showercurtain rod stuck down in the cushions on the back to keep it in place better.

^^ Ooohh! That's a good idea! I have a little trouble keeping mine tucked in on one side. I may have to look into some kind of non-bulky weight to use like that.