Thread: No strings....

• Material Girl

No strings....

Hmmmm...so things finally got moving with the guy I've kind of liked for a while over the weekend. All good. However, we're now trying to work out exactly what that now means. We're sort of at the stage where (at least to start with) it will kind of be a "no strings" kind of thing, which suits both of us pretty well. I've just come out of a long relationship, so I'm kind of loath to settle down straight away, and he's kind of younger and not sure what he wants in terms of a relationship. Add to that we're both pretty busy, and it makes even more sense. The only thing is, this is pretty new to me. In the past (pretty much all my adult life) I've been a relationship kind of girl.

Anyone been in this situation before or have some words of wisdom to impart?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: No strings....

I've been involved in one of these "no strings" relationships. They're not all they're cracked up to be. It's a nice way of saying he wants to screw you and anyone else he wants. That works for some people, I guess, but in my experience, one person ends up getting their feelings hurt at some point. Do you like him? If you like him enough to sleep with him, can you stand the thought of him doing the same things he does with you with a bunch of other girls? I'm kind of territorial when it comes to my men. I don't like to share.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• That Guy

Just make sure you both have clear expectations and rules, and you're on the same page. Typically, sooner or later someone gets more vested in the relationship, and that is when feelings can be hurt.

Best of luck!

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    I've been involved in one of these "no strings" relationships. They're not all they're cracked up to be. It's a nice way of saying he wants to screw you and anyone else he wants. That works for some people, I guess, but in my experience, one person ends up getting their feelings hurt at some point. Do you like him? If you like him enough to sleep with him, can you stand the thought of him doing the same things he does with you with a bunch of other girls? I'm kind of territorial when it comes to my men. I don't like to share.

As usual, well put.

• Material Girl

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl
    Yeah, see, this is the thing I'm (vaguely) worried about. You've put it well. Thank you.

• Man O Lantern

Oh man. I've had one successful "no strings" relationship...successful in that I wasn't the one who was more emotionally vested.

I have no idea if he thinks it was a successful "no strings" relationship since the last time he saw me, he ran out of the room crying.

Just kidding.

But really.....I came out unscathed and cherished the fun times and friendship that we shared and when I wanted to move on, I did. It seemed like the ball was always in my court.

But there are more times than I can count that my friends did not come out unscathed in a similar relationship...but those are relationships that they look back on fondly....and they look back...because none of those relationships went anywhere. Interestingly enough, no regrets though!

Take what you can from the experience, with no expectations. The second you start putting your expectations on someone else, that's when you're bound to get hurt.

Be careful with your heart, sweet girl.

~Claire

• Gay Man

Once. Never again.

I'm really into monogamy - maybe because I know what a terrible thing a non-monogomous relationship can be.

I went through a slut period when I was younger and was fine with it - but I knew what my goals were, and it wasn't a relationship at that point. But, sport shagging is fine for fun until those nasty things like feelings get introduced and trouble begins. Or, at least that's been my experience.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Take what you can from the experience, with no expectations. The second you start putting your expectations on someone else, that's when you're bound to get hurt.
    The only problem I've found in having no expectations is this: When you have no expectations, you get exactly what you expect: Nothing. You deserve better than that, in my opinion. What's wrong with having expectations and standards and saying, "I want more?"

Be careful with your heart, sweet girl.
    Yeah, what she said.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Smells like beer

the last time he saw me, he ran out of the room crying.
    The hole in my heart is still there.
    Last edited by LightBeer; 08-15-2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelled hole wrong, DUUURRPPPP!!!
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I agree with stinkerbell, be very careful with your heart.
    And Sunnyg is wise as ever, you deserve more than to have actually no expectations.
    Its hard to tell you what to do- just make sure you can be happy with no regrets.

• That Guy

This request goes out to LightBeer.....

I walk along the city streets you used to walk along with me
    And every step I take reminds me of just how we used to be
    Well, how can I forget you, girl?
    When there is always something there to remind me
    Always something there to remind me

As shadows fall, I pass a small cafe where we would dance at night
    And I can't help recalling how it how it felt to kiss and hold you tight
    Well, how can I forget you, girl?
    When there is always something there to remind me