Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6th Grade Camp

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

6th Grade Camp

So we knew that Kyler would be going away to camp this year since it's 6th grade but we were prepared for him to go to 6th grade Science Camp with all his old friends before we moved. Once we moved we found out he would be going to a "coast camp" near Pismo that was focused more tidepools, marine life etc. It sounds awesome and he was excited, a bit apprehensive but excited.

Fast forward to today, first day of school. We find out that camp is NEXT WEEK Have I mentioned today was his first day at a NEW SCHOOL and he's made NO FRIENDS in his grade. Needless to say, a bit apprehensive is now the UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR. He's a sensitive, very sensitive and shy kid to begin and insecure(the last two years were bad socially for him at his old school)and now he's even more nervous. Compounded by the fact that he's never been to camp before. He's spent the night, a few nights and such a friends houses and with other family memebers but never this far away and by himself. He's not sure that he wants to go.

I am trying to encourage to go and we talked about if he goes and he's absolutely miserable he can always come home(I am sure once he gets there he'll be fine though)but if he doesn't go he doesn't get a second chance, the opportunity is lost.

Any other ideas to help encourage him? Oh and maybe to help ease MY anxiety about him going

Thanks
    Tina

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: 6th Grade Camp

Tina - I have no idea what you could say to encourage him to go, but I do hope you're able to talk him into it. He'll really have a great time and learn so much, too!
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

I really hope that you can get him to go. I have great good/bad memories of YMCA camp!!!! Anyone one go to Y camp??? I can still remember RoundMeadow and all the skits and campfire songs.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• insufferable know-it-all

Don't act like it's something to be nervous about, as that will let him feel he's justified in his worries. Treat it as if it's as normal as going to grandma's. Don't fuss around him with advice on how to make friends, etc, because that'll put pressure on him. Just be relaxed about it- it'll rub off.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I SO feel for you both!

Morrigoon is right, be easy brezzy and that will help ease his worry.

Is there anyway of meeting any kids his age that would be going ahead of time? Any neighbors or friends that you could maybe meet up with and try to forge a relationship semi-quick? I know it is coming up super fast.

I honestly really don't have much advice. Preteen angst and pressure can be the worst for both child and parent. Just reassure him as best you can that it will both be great and in the off chance it isn't that you'll be right there to get him.

Good Luck!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Waiting for the stork

Tina,

My daughter went away to outdoor education (camp) last spring so I know how you feel...so my first bit of advice is for mommy...
    He will have so much fun and be fine...K had a blast she is still talking about it...
    (I think it was harder on me than her, so I kept very busy, the week went by quicker than I thought it would.)

(Edited to remove) I had typed out a long suggestion...but the truth is (for once) I don't know, I think he will have a great time and forget all his worries

but how to get him to go...I don't know,
    If it was K in this situation, I would probaly make her (gently and kindly) and with the option of coming home, but I dont think at 10 (or 11) she would know what she would be missing....It would break my heart, but in the long run I think it would be the best thing....
    however I can't give advice on this one...only what I would do if it was me and my child in this possition.

I never am at a loss for advice but This one is just so different...

my only advice, trust your heart on this one....if you believe going is the best thing for him than you'll do what you need to make him as comfortable as possable.
    give him some addressed envolopes, and cards (make sure they are pre stamped)
    send him some cards now (very soon so they arrive while he's there)

and he will have a great time...and probaly make some great friends along the way.
    procrastibating

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Thanks Guys! Good News, He's GOING!!!! He came in from the pool and said "sign those papers mom, I'm gonna go"

Tinkpink, he's met all the kids in the neighborhood but of course they are all in different grades! So unfortunately that doesn't help. He was great around here making new friends but he had such a bad couple of years, socially, at his old school it's harder for him to do it at school.

Tinkerbelle, I hadn't thought of sending cards TO him, I'll find out tomorrow from the teacher if I can and get the addy thanks!!! I just thought I'd put a note in his backpack(like I do in their lunchboxes on the first day and such)but I like your idea!!

Next week is going to be home improvemnt week it looks like, gotta keep myself busy!!

Thanks again

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• -Going Retro-

Yay! I'm glad he decided to go he'll have a ton of fun and meet lots of new friends don't worry about a thing your the BEST mom ever baby!

• Again! Again! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Disguy
    Yay! I'm glad he decided to go he'll have a ton of fun and meet lots of new friends don't worry about a thing your the BEST mom ever baby!
    I totally agree with this statement. I went to a 6th grade camp in Catalina, but I wasn't new at my school. He'll be fine once he's there.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Gay Man

Well, the approach I use on myself is asking myself "What is the worst thing that could happen?". Usually, by trying to justify my fears, I can't come up with "real" reasons to NOT do something. There is ALWAYS something good to be learned from any experience.

I'm really glad he's decided to go. It sounds fascinating and you never know what great things he might miss.

• Waiting for the stork

YEAH!!! I am so glad he is going...he will have a blast....and talk your ear off about it when he gets home....
    procrastibating

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    and talk your ear off about it when he gets home....
    so then you've met Kyler huh?

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I'm all kinda late but I'm so glad he's going. He's going to have so much fun, I bet, and I hope that by then he's made some friends with some of the other kids who are going - that would be so fun for him! My first thought was to go with him, but perhaps they don't allow that and you have Shawnie to worry about still, hehehe.

Good luck, he'll be fine and you'll be fine - and I'll be here to virtually hold your hand through it! When does he leave/get back?

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

He goes all week next week!
    AA, is Amber going to 6th Grade Camp too?

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

No, she isn't, I've never heard of it, LOL! Maybe because there isn't really anywhere here for them to go, I don't know. It sounds really interesting, though!!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast