Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: what should the 2nd gate of hk disneyland resort be?

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    The picture below is concept artwork released by Disney before construction of the first park began. A second gate is seen across the promenade...though very blurry. Also interesting, a blurry rendering of expansions to the first park, including Adventureland...which matches quite well with a blueprint posted here a few weeks back. Of course, plans have likely been modified since that time.

Note the additional hotels not yet built on that rendering as well...

However, Like others have stated, I would prefer for them to expand on what they have before they venture on building yet another park, when the crowds are hardly there in the first park anyways... And if they build something, I hope it't not another freaking studios park. That concept is now tired and unoriginal. I much rather they did a very lavishly themed water park, which with HK's weather, it would be a welcomed idea most of the year.

Actually the studio sounds good, HK (used to be) the Hollywood of the East and since Disney want to open up the Chinese Market so badly, maybe they can build a real funtioning studio like Univerial Studios in Hollywood with the themed park on the side. Maybe HKG would be more willing to invest money on that idea.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    I'm not sure if that's a picture of a second gate, it looks like more of a hotel/shopping district
    No, that's the plot of land where the second gate has always been planned for. There will be a "Downtown Disney" but that will be located elsewhere on the property....there were some recent internet articles on its possible location.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Note the additional hotels not yet built on that rendering as well...

However, Like others have stated, I would prefer for them to expand on what they have before they venture on building yet another park, when the crowds are hardly there in the first park anyways... And if they build something, I hope it't not another freaking studios park. That concept is now tired and unoriginal. I much rather they did a very lavishly themed water park, which with HK's weather, it would be a welcomed idea most of the year.
    The first park needs Haunted Mansion and Pirates...after those are built attendance should increase to the 8-10 mil / year range (especially if these two rides live up to hype of the internet proposals we've all heard about)...which would then be good enough to justify going ahead with the second park. I agree that I hope it's not another studios park...unfortunately that's probably the easiest park to clone and the one that can act as umbrella to the widest variety of rides...especially Pixar ones, which seem to be the future of Disney. Still as long as they maintain quality it should be OK...Disney-MGM was pretty high quality in its first decade. Water park is a good idea and there is land enough to build one if they want to. As long as there is some steady progress, HKDL should be a great resort in 10-20 years. Off-topic but...I wonder when DLP will get its water park?...there were all those great designs for "Lava Lagoon" which was never built. If they don't build it in Paris, this concept would work great for HK as well.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    No, that's the plot of land where the second gate has always been planned for. There will be a "Downtown Disney" but that will be located elsewhere on the property....there were some recent internet articles on its possible location.
    Hmmm, interesting because I always thought that HKDL's promenade from the MTR station, and all the way down to the ferry landing would be lined with shops, restaurants and some other offerings. Seems to me the Promenade would be the ideal location for DTD there, in a similar way to the layout at DLR.

• The line's too long...

Get the first park right first. Add Haunted Mansion, PotC, Splash and a couple of the traditional dark rides before even thinking about building a second park.

• i heart plunging v-necks

I much rather they did a very lavishly themed water park, which with HK's weather, it would be a welcomed idea most of the year.
    Time to dust of those Lava Lagoon blueprints...

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Just for fun...if you had to guess...are they digging under the railway and clearing the amount of land they have, for a seasonal maze, or something else like that? Or are they planning to build a proper "attraction"?
    I suspect further down the line that space will be use for something else, but right now its sadly not the case. But until its annouced by the park I tend to take what other media sources claim with a pinch of salt. Sadly I have seen enough situations where a crane has been spotted backstage at a park, and next thing everyone online has gotten excited thinking its going to be the next E Ticket for it to turn out to be new toilets or something. But yeah lets bring this discussion up again in a years time and see where we are!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The first park needs Haunted Mansion and Pirates...after those are built attendance should increase to the 8-10 mil / year range (especially if these two rides live up to hype of the internet proposals we've all heard about)...which would then be good enough to justify going ahead with the second park.
    I think the park needs more attractions than just a Pirates and a Haunted Mansion before it even considers a second park here. Its also not only about attractions but the park needs to grow and add more shops and Restaurants, and this should be the number one priority here, lets worry about hotels, and a second park once it measures up with the big boys like Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland. By rushing into a second park you end up getting another Walt Disney Studios, which was way under funded and lacked in the standards you expect from Disney, and its a mistake which will take many years to fix.

• Minion

Hmmm, interesting because I always thought that HKDL's promenade from the MTR station, and all the way down to the ferry landing would be lined with shops, restaurants and some other offerings. Seems to me the Promenade would be the ideal location for DTD there, in a similar way to the layout at DLR.
    The "Downtown Disney" equivalent probably will be somewhere along the promenade...but the concept art shows the area of the land-fill beyond the promenade as well, where as far to my knowledge the second park is planned for. Of course I have no idea exactly what the artwork depicts. If it does depict a second park there seems to be too much water there for it to be a "Studios" park. Then again the presence of a "Hollywood Hotel" might suggest otherwise. We'll find out in due course I guess.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I think the park needs more attractions than just a Pirates and a Haunted Mansion before it even considers a second park here. Its also not only about attractions but the park needs to grow and add more shops and Restaurants, and this should be the number one priority here, lets worry about hotels, and a second park once it measures up with the big boys like Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland. By rushing into a second park you end up getting another Walt Disney Studios, which was way under funded and lacked in the standards you expect from Disney, and its a mistake which will take many years to fix.
    Of course the first park will need more attractions than just Pirates and Haunted Mansion but those are the ones I think of as staples that any "Magic Kingdom" park needs.

Also, I think that a second gate built today would be substantially better than what we saw in the second Eisner decade...even if it was another small park.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

Similar concept art to the one before (you can see slightly less fuzzy on Disneytheque):

Down with the Hat

• HKDL fan

HKDL should expand the first gate till its furthest before opening a second gate. When it's time for the second gate, hopefully it will be DisneySea.
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by josh_kslow View Post
    HKDL should expand the first gate till its furthest before opening a second gate. When it's time for the second gate, hopefully it will be DisneySea.
    NO. I would prefer not to see that for two reasons..
    1) TDS is too close to Hong Kong as it is... only a 4 hr flight over.
    and whatever concpet of TDS they would build, it won't be in the same budget paid by OLC to make it that lavish.
    2) There is already some park in nearby Macau that has similar featurs to those found at TDS...and building yet another TDS in HK would feel like Disney is knocking off a Macau concept..
    So NO, I would prefer Disney built something totally unique and original for HKDLR. They desperately need that incentive.

• Minion

NO. I would prefer not to see that for two reasons..
    1) TDS is too close to Hong Kong as it is... only a 4 hr flight over.
    and whatever concpet of TDS they would build, it won't be in the same budget paid by OLC to make it that lavish.
    2) There is already some park in nearby Macau that has similar featurs to those found at TDS...and building yet another TDS in HK would feel like Disney is knocking off a Macau concept..
    So NO, I would prefer Disney built something totally unique and original for HKDLR. They desperately need that incentive.
    Even if they built another DisneySea park it wouldn't have to be a clone. We all saw the concept art below released last year...it is essentially another version of DisneySea yet certainly sufficiently unique in its own right. Plus I think everyone would agree that the location is certainly perfect for a DisneySea park...a setting even nicer than Tokyo Bay. Of course the budget wouldn't be as big as TDS. But even if they started small, as long as they maintained quality, it should still eventually make a very worthy second gate.

Same pic, blown up a bit...the land at left is clearly a Little Mermaid area, very similar to the one in TDS...while the entrance area at bottom right has European-ish architecture...at the center is a castle or fort...at the top right is an Indiana Jones-ish area, and on the top left there is a Port Discovery-ish area. So certainly it draws from TDS, but as we can appreciate even from this small pic, there is a lot that is unique here.
    Last edited by tasman; 09-25-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    Down with the Hat

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast