Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: what should the 2nd gate of hk disneyland resort be?

I have never seen that artwork up above, and it looks nice... but as everyone knows... those renderings do evolve and change until the final product comes to be a reality. I won't hold my breath... however, HKDL will benefit from the more elegant ways of theming by the current WDI team.. and that is one of the things I like about HKDL park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I have never seen that artwork up above
    It was released some time last year if I remember correctly, a while before the big DCA concept art release, as part of some annual shareholder meeting or something like that...this release also had that concept for a "Pirate Themed Adventure" which has been posted here a few times, plus early renderings of CarsLand, World of Color water show, and Toy Story Midway Mania.

• Minion

As you can all tell I love Disney concept art...here is some more for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen them...these are of Lava Lagoon, the water park planned for Euro Disney. I'm not 100% percent sure, but I think I read somewhere this was intended to be an indoor water park...which would make sense in Paris. As we were discussing a little earlier in the thread...a water park would work very well at HKDLR...and I think this concept would be a great fit (a good idea never dies!) - though there would be no need for it to be indoors.

The first two pics are general overviews:

The park's centerpiece is the Big Kahuna, which to my eyes, looks to be volcano with multiple lava-themed water slides:

Aloha Falls and Kahuku Falls, which appear to be raft rides:

And some more water slides:
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

That would be perfect for HKDL's humid and hot weather most of the year.

No offense (seriously) intended, but this is as inane as asking what should WDW's fifth gate be.

Disney and, more importantly, the HK SAR government have no desire whatsoever to build a second gate at this time nor should they. They built a very bare bones park that needs hundreds of millions invested in it right now and for years to come.

And while a water park would really be a great choice for HKDL, at this point, even that shouldn't even be considered until HKDL's attraction slate can stand on its own without calling things like City Hall, the AP processing center and Liki Tikis, attractions.

• Addicted to MC since '08

By george I think I've got it!

Disney's Hong Kong Adventure!

JK, but that waterpark looks hot!

• i heart plunging v-necks

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPro View Post
    JK, but that waterpark looks hot!
    pun intended

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

I heard HK govt wants to turn all that parking lot at Sunny Bay MTR station into a shopping centre, since HKDL doesn't need that much parking after all.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Would a shopping and dining district work here, after all access to Hong Kong is very easy. What would be the need?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Would a shopping and dining district work here, after all access to Hong Kong is very easy. What would be the need?
    Interesting question, but it can also be applied to Ikspiari (how many shopping plazas near TDR can you count?) or DLR (again, with a brand new Anaheim walk across the street and a Target down Katella Ave, do they need a DTD there?)...
    So honestly.. I am not sure that the guest count is there to make such a place succesful for the time being....

• Minion

Here is a piece of concept art posted by the infamous Jim Hill a year or two ago, about a Disney water park project themed to Pirates. According to Mr. Hill, the artist was Scott Sherman for WDI, and the project is still in Blue Sky phase...and could end up anywhere in the Disney universe, including Hong Kong. In this day and age of everything being a movie tie-in, perhaps this has a better chance of being built than Lava Lagoon. There is only one painting here...the 2nd-4th pics are details of the first.

Down with the Hat

Tasman,thanks for sharing beautiful art works!!! Hope there will be new art work for HKDL expansion soon!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Interesting question, but it can also be applied to Ikspiari (how many shopping plazas near TDR can you count?) or DLR (again, with a brand new Anaheim walk across the street and a Target down Katella Ave, do they need a DTD there?)...
    So honestly.. I am not sure that the guest count is there to make such a place succesful for the time being....
    During my trips to Anaheim the Downtown Disney area has always looked busy, but I'm not sure I would say the same thing for Ikspiari. You visit the Resort more often than me TDLFAN, do you think business is doing alright there. In Paris the Disney Village has always had an advantage with the parks closing so early for most of the year, and the fact most guest stay either on site or near to it. Hong Kong Disneyland is just so far out and with only 2 hotels I don't see people wanting to shop and eat after park closing. For it to work I think HKDL would have to offer a lot of unique shopping and dining experiences, that you can't find else where.

Disney already confirmed the movie POTC 4, so it makes sense to build the POTC water park to tie in with the movie's release. Only question is where and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Is this not the same Apple Daily that claim a Haunted Mansion was in the process of being built, and would be ready by next year. Months later nothing has yet been confirmed and it appears the clearing of land in Adventureland was for the Haunted Maze attraction that is about to open for Halloween.

As for a second park, I think we have a long time before that one is even considered. Lets fix the first park first. Also I would like to see the Resort build up the surrounding area more, before adding a new park, more hotels and a shopping and dining complex would make a good start. Also leave Inspiration Lake alone!

When it finally comes time to build that second park, I'm hoping we don't see another Studio theme park. Disney has two already, and kind of three if you include DCA's Hollywood Backlot. Also by the time the 2nd park does get considered Asia and that region will be full of other Studio parks, South Korea and Singapore are both going to be getting Universal Studios, and Japan already has one. What ever the next park is it should take advantage of its beautiful surroundings and fit them in with the theme. Personally I think a new version of Disney's Animal Kingdom would be well suited for a second park, and would compete well against Ocean Park.

I agree but the truth is that there is a deadline built within the contract and Disney needs to have a second gate built in the already reclaimed land right next to the entrance of the Disneyland park. If they do not build something or get an extention than the givernment can go ahead and offer the land to any buyer that wants it.

Imagine another entertainment company buying the land and taking advantage of the infrustructure to build an amusement parknext to Disneylands gates. Worse yet imagine it turning into something else beisde a theme park.

Also the plans that are being worked on for expansion on the first gate do include a downtown Disney. That would be built between the two gates prior to the opening of the second gate. Other plans include another hotel in the near future. Its all up to the givernment to give their approval or allow the Walt Disney company to pay of th eloan and become majority shareholders of the resort.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast