Halloween Too Scary for Young Children?

For those HKDL Halloween veterans with young children - was the Park & Hotels too scary for young children during this Spooky Season?
    Mouseketeer Wannabe

Re: Halloween Too Scary for Young Children?

The PARK isn't too scary, but hte Haunted mansion is and so is the Demon Jungle. Walking through adventureland is ok during the day, but at night it gets a bit frightening for the little ones because of the smoke. And the gargoyle scared the living daylights out of ME the first time I saw it move!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Haunted Mansion? Don't you mean the Haunted Hotel on Main Street? There isn't a Haunted Mansion at HKDL... yet.

• Banned User

Anything that scares the kids off their rockers is OK with me.

The smallest disneyland but the one of the best!

I think it is not too scary but it is awesome that HKDL create a ghost land in AL!

Adventureland change to a ghost land

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I have brought this up in conversation before, while I can not take away from the amazing efforts the park puts into Halloween, I do feel for a Disney park, it may be a bit on the dark side. This sort of event works well for parks like Ocean Park or Knotts Berry Farm where your attractions are already aimed at the teen market, but for Disney who pride themselves in providing great family entertainment, it doesn't really cut it with me. I can understand the park wants to try and compete against Ocean Park, but I think it should instead be trying to offer an alternative event. Tokyo Disneyland does a fantastic job each year of creating a family event that is actually more fun than scary and it works.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I have brought this up in conversation before, while I can not take away from the amazing efforts the park puts into Halloween, I do feel for a Disney park, it may be a bit on the dark side. This sort of event works well for parks like Ocean Park or Knotts Berry Farm where your attractions are already aimed at the teen market, but for Disney who pride themselves in providing great family entertainment, it doesn't really cut it with me. I can understand the park wants to try and compete against Ocean Park, but I think it should instead be trying to offer an alternative event. Tokyo Disneyland does a fantastic job each year of creating a family event that is actually more fun than scary and it works.
    My feelings exactly. I am of course limited to what I've seen on Disney websites, but the feeling I get seeing HKDL's Halloween proceedings, as impressive as they are in their own right, is the same feeling that I get seeing potato-men walking around DLP's Frontierland...they do not say "Disney" to me...a little too grotesque. Tokyo is right on the money (so is MK, but they charge extra, which I don't like).
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

I think the ticketed event argument has been done to death so I'm not going to say another word on that, but I will say is that I was impressed by the efforts done this year in Anahiem after viewing Andy Castro's latest article. http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dat...time-more.html

Disneyland Resort Paris Halloween events have always been hit and miss. But in recent years we have seen the Resort cut back on some of the worst things like the Pink Witches in favour of Jack, Sally and Stitch. But for every improvement made, we also see them take a step back by recycling the Pink Witches decorations from previous years, again doesn't do much to improve the quality.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    My feelings exactly. I am of course limited to what I've seen on Disney websites, but the feeling I get seeing HKDL's Halloween proceedings, as impressive as they are in their own right, is the same feeling that I get seeing potato-men walking around DLP's Frontierland...they do not say "Disney" to me...a little too grotesque.
    I won't be lucky to see this event this year but last year's event had "Disney" quality all over it. The parade in HKDL is truly one of the best Halloween parades of any of the Disney parks. The haunted hotel last year had a Haunted mansion vibe to it.. with some silly scares. Nothing that I consider vulgar like most of the stuff Universal does during their Horror Nights event.

Tokyo is right on the money (so is MK, but they charge extra, which I don't like).
    Tokyo is indeed the best and I hardly put the MK efforts in the same level...and considering that the MK charges *ALMOST* as much for the party as a 1-day passport to TDL costs... it's even more ludicrous.

I think Disney has become too associated with 'it must be OK for my 3-year-old princess' in the past decade ... Disney was always about putting out the highest quality family entertainment ... and that didn't mean it was suitable to everyone.

I still remember as a 7-year-old getting the crap scared out of me on my first ride on WDW's Snow White before it was totally neutered.

There's nothing wrong with scary for Halloween. As long as it's done in fun. And not over-the-top grotesque like Halloween Horror Nights. I see nothing like that in HKDL's offerings.

Let's not criticize a Disney park for actually doing something the right way just because it may not be suitable for everyone's kids.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Let's not criticize a Disney park for actually doing something the right way just because it may not be suitable for everyone's kids.
    I agree. It's the adults paying for the tickets at the front of the parks. NOt the kids. Offer something that adults can enjoy at the parks as well. I am all for it. I still find this more juvenile than WDW's Hollywood Studios selling Jackie Collins' novels, which are ladden with F-words all over...

I took the little one back a couple of times this weekend, once it got dark, adventureland was a no go. During the day with the pumpkin heads and other characters she was fine. At night, she said it was the music that frightened her. Who can say what kids like and don't like. Ultimately, it's up to the parents to decide what's right for their children. Mine doesn't like the haunted part of halloween. I'm ok with that. I do have issues with parents that drag younger (than mine) into the haunted mansion kicking and screaming because they want to go.
    I want to see Deamon jungle, so next week when I have a free afternoon, I'm going without the kid.

• 'Sleeping Beauty'

people need to understand cultures are diverse and see halloween in many different way's....

I'm european and upon the thought of halloween I think ghosts, ghoulies and witches....I don't think of princesses and dorothies and power rangers ( the usa is open to any kind of costume ....where's europe dresses primarily spooky! ) halloween is seen as a spooky event ....so I think it's only appropriate disneyland paris ellaborates more on this... they are catering to they're audiences wants needs and histories.....

Asia view's anything haunted as fantasy so is more openly accepted in the culture...many ghost stories and myth's span from here....

again not every park is going to be a clone disneyland at halloween time.... it depends on the culture and history of the people! Just remember like every person, every park needs to be diverse and suit that countries needs....

correct me if I'm wrong but thats the way I see it!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

People tend to forget that Halloween originated as a spooky event to drive out evil spirits and all that. It wasn't about fairy princesses and candy back then. It was very serious business.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Katsmom View Post
    I took the little one back a couple of times this weekend, once it got dark, adventureland was a no go. During the day with the pumpkin heads and other characters she was fine. At night, she said it was the music that frightened her. Who can say what kids like and don't like. Ultimately, it's up to the parents to decide what's right for their children. Mine doesn't like the haunted part of halloween. I'm ok with that. I do have issues with parents that drag younger (than mine) into the haunted mansion kicking and screaming because they want to go.
    I want to see Deamon jungle, so next week when I have a free afternoon, I'm going without the kid.
    What happen to Walt's vision of creating attractions the whole family could enjoy together?