Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Not here to help

Space Mountain and Pooh HK

I was in HKDL about two months ago for the halloween celebrations. I really liked the park. Itīs small but feels like the place of dreams that it would ment to be. But there is one thing that bugs me and everybody else. The lack of rides. The only rides worth to mention are Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise.
    Space Mountain in HKDL felt very very small cheap and lame in comparison to the Tokyo version that I went on one week earlier. Itīs strange that Disney built a brand new park without adding one single thrilling ride. Jungle Cruise was nice but it semed to lack that thing that makes it a great ride.
    What is the story in Space Mountain in HK? What went wrong and why?

...and the Pooh ride... now that was really sucking. The Tokyo Pooh ride is fantastic but the "newer" one in Hong Kong was not worth the 5 minute wait. Why would Disney introduce itself to China with crapp like that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Re: Space Mountain and Pooh HK

Well...It's not really Disney's fault, the HK government wanted to open the park 1 and a half year before the original opening date set by Disney. This is why most of the rides (nearly all) were not included when the park opened. And i think that after 1 whole year of protests and demand for more attractions, all they could come up with was a kiddie-ride that they thought would be so good but its only a 5 mins wait time!

• Banned User

Disney went cheap as well. Many of the projects slated for HKDL were dropped or delayed for further consideration. But regardless of how the budgets influenced the construction of the park, HKDL does have a charm and quality of theming that even the MK at WDW lacks. So they did a nice job in that area.

In regards to Space Mountain, I find it to be acceptable to what we have at DLR and TDL. The one at TDL just got a major face lift and that is why it has a more stylish look, but no soundtrack like HKDL's. So I feel they did not cheapen out with HKDL's Space Mountain.. except for the switch-back queue which is below par with the rest of them, but the ride itself is as good as DL and TDL's.

In regards to Pooh's ride, like many other things at HKDL, they recycled engineering plans from the ride at WDW and this is why the HKDL version is exactly the same Pooh ride we have at WDW. This is yet another example of doing things cheap. However, you can not compare with TDL's Pooh Hunny Hunt because it was OLC paying the bill for that groundbreaking ride and also because OLC wanted something spectacular to showcase one of the most popular characters in the park.

Why would Disney introduce itself to China with crapp like that?
    Crap? Hardly. Disney was dealing with an audience that had no expectations in regards to the Disney brand or it's stable of characters. The park may be small and lacking of some of the biggest rides we have at the other parks but it is still a very nicely done park, and all you have to do is look around to see the many happy faces of the chinese guests as they discover what is there to see and enjoy. So it may be 'crap' for those of us who are seasoned Disney fans but to the guests who have never been to a Disney park, this may be an extraordinary experience. Granted, all parks can not start as gloriously done as TDS was on opening day, but I firmly believe that what Disney started with HKDL will grow to become one of the company's most admired and beloved parks around. Let's be patient and allow the Disney people and Chinese goverment to redeem themselves and make this park better in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Disney went cheap as well. Many of the projects slated for HKDL were dropped or delayed for further consideration. But regardless of how the budgets influenced the construction of the park, HKDL does have a charm and quality of theming that even the MK at WDW lacks. So they did a nice job in that area.

In regards to Space Mountain, I find it to be acceptable to what we have at DLR and TDL. The one at TDL just got a major face lift and that is why it has a more stylish look, but no soundtrack like HKDL's. So I feel they did not cheapen out with HKDL's Space Mountain.. except for the switch-back queue which is below par with the rest of them, but the ride itself is as good as DL and TDL's.

In regards to Pooh's ride, like many other things at HKDL, they recycled engineering plans from the ride at WDW and this is why the HKDL version is exactly the same Pooh ride we have at WDW. This is yet another example of doing things cheap. However, you can not compare with TDL's Pooh Hunny Hunt because it was OLC paying the bill for that groundbreaking ride and also because OLC wanted something spectacular to showcase one of the most popular characters in the park.

Crap? Hardly. Disney was dealing with an audience that had no expectations in regards to the Disney brand or it's stable of characters. The park may be small and lacking of some of the biggest rides we have at the other parks but it is still a very nicely done park, and all you have to do is look around to see the many happy faces of the chinese guests as they discover what is there to see and enjoy. So it may be 'crap' for those of us who are seasoned Disney fans but to the guests who have never been to a Disney park, this may be an extraordinary experience. Granted, all parks can not start as gloriously done as TDS was on opening day, but I firmly believe that what Disney started with HKDL will grow to become one of the company's most admired and beloved parks around. Let's be patient and allow the Disney people and Chinese goverment to redeem themselves and make this park better in the future.
    TDLFAN , I totally agree with you! WDC didn't sure what attraction the chinese loves before the park was opening, so disney just opened fewer attractions in hkdl when opening , of course construction bill was the problom too. But luckily HKDL lacks of some main rides, WDC could design or re-theme the new ,unique attractions, theme area for HKDL . So just keep waiting, some good news are coming and construction in HKDL will be started very very soon!!!!!!!!!

• Not here to help

Donīt get me wrong. I love all Disneyparks. I am obsessed with Disneyparks.

Me and my family visited TDR about two months ago and then about a week later HKDL.

Space Mountain didnīt even look good and the ride itself was not by any means something that one would stand in line for 60 minutes.
    Pooh... my god... they should have used the space for that ride as restrooms or just wait until they could afford to make a better ride.
    Who cares who payed for the park? I really have to say that todays park visitors demand more than they did in the 70īs. Some rides should get a total renovation or be replaced. Look what is happening at Magic Kingdom that is growing more stale each year that goes by. Then take a look at what is going on in TDL. It lives and gets better each year. The visitors donīt care who build the park. They just want to get something good for their money. The TDR vistors get what they pay for and more. TDL is always PACKED. HKDL looks great and people seme to like it alot. But the fact is that alot of poeple are avoiding the park since it today only is an oversized playground for very young children. I am sure that HKDL intime will look even better and the good rides one day will be there.
    Why put so much money into a park that only offers attractions that has been around for 20 years?
    The poeple of Hong Kong seme to like Ocean Park much more and so does the tourists. That is a Disneyland failure black on white. Itīs going to change, like in Paris. But letīs just hope it all changes soon.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 12-16-2008 at 07:52 AM.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Honestly, having been on 3 different Space Mountains this year (within a few weeks of each other), I have to state a preference for the Hong Kong version. The WDW was the oldest version, and certainly the weakest, but I found that the HKDL version was at least on par with the updated Anaheim version. I went on the HKDL version several times during this and my previous trip, and it remains a strong feature of the park.

Will comment on the TDL version shortly...!
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

I concur with Loomis, I believe right now (having not ridden TDL's version) that HKDL's Space Mountain is the best version in the world right now. DLP's would be, but the fact it causes brain damage needs to be taken into consideration.

And to set the record straight, it was Disney who screwed around and chopped off one-third (or more) of the park after it was announced.

I've mentioned in other threads here what was left out, but two whole lands as well as numerous signature Disney attractions, including a few E-tix were axed after the agreement with HK SAR was signed.

The park opened early not because HK wanted it, but because so much had been cut that it was completed way ahead of schedule (April 2006) and it was a nice swan song for Michael Eisner.

It's still a beautiful little park, but it is lacking in attractions.

I certainly wouldn't advise going from TDL (or DL or DLP or even MK) to HKDL within a week or two ... you set yourself up for disappointment.

well to it's credit at least from my understanding most of Disney's major planning for the future is going to either China or Tokyo, with tokyo handling their own budgets and China demanding more unique attractions after feeling shafted by what they've got so far.

I haven't been so I guess I can't give much account but at least TDLFAN's pictures seem to confirm what he always says about the park.

• Not here to help

The TDL version doesnīt only feel more thrilling it is also much better designed. The Florida version is not only slow but it also feels very dated in every aspect when it comes cue design and so on... but thats just my opinion... I just add that even my 66 year old father did not think that the HK Space Mountain was a big deal. He is not a thrill junky... none of us are.
    To me it semes like one really has to be Disneyland hardcore fan to love that park in HK as it is now. That is shame since Disneyland should be all about love at first sight
    What I am looking forward to is to go on the Paris version in May.

Smile Re: Space Mountain and Pooh HK

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Donīt get me wrong. I love all Disneyparks. I am obsessed with Disneyparks.

Me and my family visited TDR about two months ago and then about a week later HKDL.

Space Mountain didnīt even look good and the ride itself was not by any means something that one would stand in line for 60 minutes.
    Pooh... my god... they should have used the space for that ride as restrooms or just wait until they could afford to make a better ride.
    Who cares who payed for the park? I really have to say that todays park visitors demand more than they did in the 70īs. Some rides should get a total renovation or be replaced. Look what is happening at Magic Kingdom that is growing more stale each year that goes by. Then take a look at what is going on in TDL. It lives and gets better each year. The visitors donīt care who build the park. They just want to get something good for their money. The TDR vistors get what they pay for and more. TDL is always PACKED. HKDL looks great and people seme to like it alot. But the fact is that alot of poeple are avoiding the park since it today only is an oversized playground for very young children. I am sure that HKDL intime will look even better and the good rides one day will be there.
    Why put so much money into a park that only offers attractions that has been around for 20 years?
    The poeple of Hong Kong seme to like Ocean Park much more and so does the tourists. That is a Disneyland failure black on white. Itīs going to change, like in Paris. But letīs just hope it all changes soon.
    your pretty negative. part of disney is experienceing the magic over and over. as in the park doesn't change every year. granted i hae never been to HKDL i want to in a feew years when everything is way beter cause it will be i mean if u think think about it disneyland its opening day was awfull and if everyone went and talked crap aout it cause that was there experience for that one time then there wouldn't even be a HKDL. so be nice the commies are trying. if that offended anyonereally sorry.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you TimmyTimmyTimmy, I totally agree with you on everything you say. The Hong Kong park looks magic and feels like a Disneyland but is missing anything close to enough attractions to make it a true Disney classic. It is unbelievable that they really only built one E-Ticket (Space Mountain) though the Jungle cruise comes close to being a major experience, it just doesn't quite pull it off by today's standards.

The Space Mountain ride at Hong Kong is almost identical to Disneyland California except the Hong Kong version has a super cheap queue and loading area which cheapens the look of the whole ride.

I have high hopes for this park. It has great bone structure and will no doubt be a fantastic park someday. Although, right now it is only worth a visit if you already find yourself in town and haven't seen it yet.

Thank you for the report!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• We Go On.

What is HKDL's Space Mountain lift sequence like? I know it is not a reproduction of Disneylands, but I don't know what it is.

• Banned User

Looks like a tunnel of fiber optic lights.

But agree with you as well. I do love HKDL. Small little park that will become a great DL park in it's own right. But let's not compare it to TDR.. as that would be going from one extreme to the other.

That's why I am so glad I visited HKDL before TDL ...that way I got to appreciate the newest MK on its own merits and not compare it to the way another company invests/runs its 'Disney parks' ... that will come soon enough!

• Not here to help

it shouldnīt matter in what order one visits the parks. they should all have rides makes one go "oh woow" hahah
    in november itīs TDR and HKDL once again for me
    if I get one pooh ride I think I will go for the Tokyo version... but thatīs just me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast