Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Watch Your Language

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Castle looks just like Disneyland's?

I don't really like the look of the castle. it just looks like a piece of solid cement. and the color is wierd.

well if you want to argue small details then there will always be differences between the two

and of course Disneyland always has the Matterhorn as it's major landmark (of course this is the thing you can see from almost anywere in the park anyways)

and I'm HOPING the don't clone that anytime soon

and of course with the Matterhorn comes Disneyland's signature Tinkerbell which can't be copied in any ther park just yet

of course this raises the question

how DOES HK do the Tinkerbell effect (or whatever) in firework shows?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    and of course with the Matterhorn comes Disneyland's signature Tinkerbell which can't be copied in any ther park just yet

of course this raises the question

how DOES HK do the Tinkerbell effect (or whatever) in firework shows?
    Well, a tinkerbell flying off the Matterhorn can not be duplicated at any DL park for sure, but DLP and the MK do have Tinkerbell flights over the park.
    As for HKDL, Tinkerbell appears via film on the castle itself (projected on the castle's walls). You see her flying from one side of the castle to the other and raising her wand to set off the strobe lights on the castle itself... pretty neat effect.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1

Going by this picture, the only two striking differences are color (but that could also be because of different weather conditions/time of day) and the archway. So if you want to be picky, yes, they are two different castles...but me....I'd call them clones.

-Michael
    All defensive. lollllzzzzz

• Banned User

And I find it funny he found a pic of the WDW castle taken after it's refurb. While TDL's picxture was taken on a cloudy day... Ulterior motives I suppose?

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    And I find it funny he found a pic of the WDW castle taken after it's refurb. While TDL's picxture was taken on a cloudy day... Ulterior motives I suppose?
    I had to search for about 20 minutes to find one picture of WDW's castle straight on. Everyone like's to take a picture from the sides or some other angle. Why can't people just take a normal picture of the castle? And seeing how Tokyo seemed to of had the same problem, I was happy enough with this picture. The only other straight-on picture of Tokyo's castle I could find also had clouds (or was the size of one of these smilies).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    You and the chinese who dislike the Mulan movie due to it being a very americanized vision of the chinese as opposed to the real ways of their culture. Still Disney is not detered by that and do have Mushu and Mulan represented in the park. Both characters are seen daily at Fantasia Gardens avail for photo ops with guests.
    Also there is no "Mulan's Castle" per se. The only castle-like structure was the
    Emperor's Palace in the Forbidden City. And unfortunately, the real one is
    still there in Beijing. I think that would have been pretty insulting; similar
    to building a copy of Neuschwanstein in Paris. (FYI the back of it is the model
    for DL's castle).

• insufferable know-it-all

I just don't understand why they feel it necessary to clone castles. How about Beast's castle? Could they not have built that? Snow White lived in a castle, why not build it? There's no reason at all that the 5 parks could not each have a unique castle.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Also there is no "Mulan's Castle" per se. The only castle-like structure was the
    Emperor's Palace in the Forbidden City. And unfortunately, the real one is
    still there in Beijing. I think that would have been pretty insulting; similar
    to building a copy of Neuschwanstein in Paris. (FYI the back of it is the model
    for DL's castle).
    Whereas Hong Kong is part of China...
    The Neuschwanstein is in Germany, and Paris is in France. The last time I checked, Germany and France are different countries? Am I right?
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I guess I am shocked too. Not that I am upset that they copied the DL castle, since imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

But despite being a Disneyland Fan, I have to say the WDW castle is nicer. Walt sunk every dime he had into Disneyland. There simply was not more money for a grander castle. I can forgive him for that. It now is an symbol of the loving care he put into the park as a whole.

I guest with all the opportunities to do something fresh and state of the art, it is hard to believe that they used the 1955 castle. Walt said he hated repeating himself, so I know that he would have done something different, if not much more grander if he could do it again.

I guess the pendulum has swung the opposite direction. Eisner lavished money on the DL Paris castle, even to the point of building it from real stone just like a medieval castle instead of the movie set, concrete one Walt built. (I thought that was a waste of money from the first time I heard it. Eisner did it because he thought that the Europeans would not accept a concrete castle) Now Disney has swung to doing the cheapest castle possible, using previous designs. I would not be surprised if it is fiberglass!
    The only reason walt did it that small was the whole scale of the park. could you imagine a bigger castle at disneyland. it would just look to big for the park and ruin the whole look of things at the original. The magic kingdon at disney world is much bigger and has a lot more space. As for hong kong i can't beleive it doesn't have fronteirland or anything except space mountain, jungle cruise and a few other rides none of the quality attraxctions that make a disney park. The railroad looks far to fake to be real especially engine #1 and the coaches. As for the street and sidewalks on mainstreet the bricks should be on the sidewalk and the cement on the street and not how they have it. OH well i will probably never visit it. i do wish they did a different castle or a completely new one.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I just don't understand why they feel it necessary to clone castles. How about Beast's castle? Could they not have built that? Snow White lived in a castle, why not build it? There's no reason at all that the 5 parks could not each have a unique castle.
    Money savers, or at least it was for Hong Kong. They still had to redo all the drawings et all but there was no cost for extra design work.
    However I like how "the Chinese don't know older fairytales" yet whenever its convienient (such as the castle) they use old tales no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Wonderful point.

If they were going to build such a small scale park full of cloned attractions, the least they could have done was had a unique castle.

On a personal level, I also feel like DL's castle should not have been duplicated anywhere as it was the first. It was Walt's. Maybe naive, but that's my opinion.

As to Tokyo, it got what the OLC wanted, but it's certainly different than the WDW one. There's no restaurant in it, but there is an attraction -- the only one based on the Black Cauldron, which does give it some uniqueness.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123