Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Part of Your World

Hong Kong Disneyland Castle looks just like Disneyland's?

Sorry if this was already posted. Hong Kong disneyland is open now and their castle looks exactly like the Disneyland one--how disappointing!!!!!

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Castle looks just like Disneyland's?

Already been posted love. Yep, the park is based on 1955 Disneyland.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

ADMIN NOTE: Since we already have a couple of threads on the opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, I've changed the title to reflect your comments about the castle being the same as the original Disneyland version.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• The one, the only...

I guess I am shocked too. Not that I am upset that they copied the DL castle, since imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

But despite being a Disneyland Fan, I have to say the WDW castle is nicer. Walt sunk every dime he had into Disneyland. There simply was not more money for a grander castle. I can forgive him for that. It now is an symbol of the loving care he put into the park as a whole.

I guest with all the opportunities to do something fresh and state of the art, it is hard to believe that they used the 1955 castle. Walt said he hated repeating himself, so I know that he would have done something different, if not much more grander if he could do it again.

I guess the pendulum has swung the opposite direction. Eisner lavished money on the DL Paris castle, even to the point of building it from real stone just like a medieval castle instead of the movie set, concrete one Walt built. (I thought that was a waste of money from the first time I heard it. Eisner did it because he thought that the Europeans would not accept a concrete castle) Now Disney has swung to doing the cheapest castle possible, using previous designs. I would not be surprised if it is fiberglass!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I thought they were going to make a Mulan castle? They better not call that castle Mulans because I will not accept it. I thought they could have been more creative then that. I guess they might have been to lazy to draw something up. I heard their jungle cruise was good though.

Do they have a POTC or HM?

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I smell another DLR vs. WDW castle debate coming...

• Rock The World

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I guess the pendulum has swung the opposite direction. Eisner lavished money on the DL Paris castle, even to the point of building it from real stone just like a medieval castle instead of the movie set, concrete one Walt built. (I thought that was a waste of money from the first time I heard it. Eisner did it because he thought that the Europeans would not accept a concrete castle) Now Disney has swung to doing the cheapest castle possible, using previous designs. I would not be surprised if it is fiberglass!
    The European press (and many visitors) had quite a hard time accepting the castle in any case. After all, whether it's made of real stone or not, it's still a fake castle pretending to be real!
    Nevertheless, of all the Disney castles, Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant is by far the nicest. We tend to make fun of Disneyland's now - didn't you guys get it on loan from Legoland? lol!

• Former Epcot CM

I guess I am shocked too. Not that I am upset that they copied the DL castle, since imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

But despite being a Disneyland Fan, I have to say the WDW castle is nicer. Walt sunk every dime he had into Disneyland. There simply was not more money for a grander castle. I can forgive him for that. It now is an symbol of the loving care he put into the park as a whole.

I guest with all the opportunities to do something fresh and state of the art, it is hard to believe that they used the 1955 castle. Walt said he hated repeating himself, so I know that he would have done something different, if not much more grander if he could do it again.

The WDW castle is fiberglass. And I found it amazing how you know exactly why Eisner chose to build with stone!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Does Hong Kong has to deal with any sort of tropical storms? That would make sense then if the castle is made of fiberglass. Eventhough it is in central Florida, Disney chose fiberglass for Cinderella Castle because of the need to keep the castle standing.

I dothink it would have been better if the park had not been built at the smaller Disneyland scale. Maybe then a full scale version of Sleeping Beauty Castle could have been done. Of course this would make the park feel much smaller.

• Disneyland and TDR fan!

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyStrange
    Sorry if this was already posted. Hong Kong disneyland is open now and their castle looks exactly like the Disneyland one--how disappointing!!!!!

I was surprised too when I saw pictures of the park being built that the castle they chose was Sleeping Beauty's from the original Disneyland! But wait Isn't Tokyo Disneyland's castle was base on the one in Florida's Cinderella?!?! I don't know why they gave the europeans a different castle from all the other parks. If ever I plan to visit the HK park and I have a picture of me with the castle in the background people might think I didn't leave California at all!

HKDL's Sleeping Beauty Castle is "scaled up" a good bit from the original. Everything on it is larger than in CA, while maintaining the same proportions.

• Disney Memory Maker

Walt said he hated repeating himself, so I know that he would have done something different, if not much more grander if he could do it again.
    Not necessarily. Remember, he planned for The Magic Kingdom to basically be a clone of Disneyland (with some original rides and a lot of cloned ones).

I don't know why they gave the europeans a different castle from all the other parks.
    Disney did not want to do a traditional castle (like in WDW or DL) because Europe is filled with real castles. They felt that even if they tried, their castle would never match up to the real ones. So, they decided to go a different route and make this more of a fairytale castle (which it is). They wanted something that would not outdo the real castles, but rather be much different than the real ones.

If ever I plan to visit the HK park and I have a picture of me with the castle in the background people might think I didn't leave California at all! [IMG]images/smilies/sad%20guy.gif[/IMG]
    Yeah, but HKDL has the beautiful mountains as the background to the castle (and it is the original colors, not the 50th colors).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

ORDDU: Here's something for you ducklings to consider--although my sisters and I must admit that we've stated this before, some time ago. But ONE reason they decided not to duplicate the same Sleeping Beauty Castle from Disneyland Paris into Hong Kong was because of the high maintenance required on the castle in France.

ORWEN: A good friend of ours who knows some Imagineers was told that the castle at Disneyland Paris--pretty as it is--is also a nightmare to maintain. The intricate rooves and the way water drains from them has caused the castle to leak in ways nobody could have predicted.

ORDDU: Plus--as others have pointed out--the castle in France is one of the more costly Disney castles ever to be built. In a park that is trying so hard to be cautious and to save money--in case the whole park is a flop--we suppose that it actually makes sense to build a more modest castle for the park in Hong Kong.

ORWEN: In the meantime, we've heard that the castle at Disneyland Paris will never be duplicated again--because of all the headaches it causes to maintain such a beautiful structure.

ORDDU: When it comes to Hong Kong Disneyland, we sort of think of it as though it's an echo; an echo of the original Disneyland. And, really, that's not such a bad thing.

ORWEN: As long as they don't continue to 'echo' any further than this. I mean, I wouldn't want all the future Disney theme parks to be total clones of the original. But one is okay.

• love my friends

Yep they based it on the REAL disneyland..

My manager has been over there for the past 3 months and he emails us CM's alot, and said he loves it there

• Disneyland and TDR fan!

Oh by the way I know I quoted EmilyStrange- but I am not disappointed about their decision about the castle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast