• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

"HK DIsneyland hopes to unveil major new attraction" South China Morning Post.

"Hong Kong Disneyland is aiming to unveil a major new attraction by late 2011 as long as a deal on expansion plans can be hammered out between Disney and the government and approved this year, sources say.
    There were no details about the attraction as the plan could still change, depending on the final agreement between the two joint venture partners, the sources said. The government holds a 57 per cent stake in the amusement park.

However, there were fears the negotiations and often arduous Legislative Council approval process could not be completed this year, the sources said. This would mean the newest Disney park would not have had any major additions to its original roster of rides and attractions in its first five years of operation.

The theme park opened in September 2005 with major attractions such as Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise. Autopia was meant to be part of the opening roster but was added the following summer.

Hong Kong Disneyland's planned expansion would increase its size by more than a third and cost an estimated HK$3 billion to HK$4 billion. Three new themed "lands" would occupy about 12 of the 20-plus hectares available for development at the theme park site.

Adding major new rides is seen as key to improving the performance of the theme park, which is often perceived as having insufficient attractions to keep guests entertained for a whole day.

But attendance has grown at double-digit year-on-year rates every month since October, and visitor numbers are expected to continue improving during the peak Lunar New Year period, the sources said. Ticket presales so far for the holiday indicate larger attendance on the Lunar New Year's second day, which is usually less busy.

Aliana Ho, vice-president of sales and travel trade marketing, said the theme park was focusing resources on growing short-haul markets such as Taiwan, the Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia as well as India."
    2011??? wow, thats a long wait for just a 'major attraction'

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: "HK DIsneyland hopes to unveil major new attraction" South China Morning Post.

Quote Originally Posted by hkdlfan View Post
    2011??? wow, thats a long wait for just a 'major attraction'
    Not even a hint as to what it is. Could be an official announcement and details of the Haunted Mansion or Pirates/Splash. Then again, we might be talking something totally unexpected and new hear. Wouldn't be surprised if they are in for a Soarin' ride eventually, too. All the other Resorts (parks) are getting them.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Re: "HK DIsneyland hopes to unveil major new attraction" South China Morning Post.

I think this newpaper clip is...haunted.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think this newpaper clip is...haunted.

Those ghosties are up to their same old tricks. LOL! I'm getting back into the swing of things or I would have realized that.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• i heart plunging v-necks

This would mean the newest Disney park would not have had any major additions to its original roster of rides and attractions in its first five years of operation.
    I would consider IASW a "major" addition. Bring on the Ghoulies and Goblins!

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

I really hope that both WDC and the HK govt quickly come to an agreement soon - They really should try to build one E-ticket ride like the Haunted House (since that would be the least complicated to construct) for the park's fifth year anniversary.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    I would consider IASW a "major" addition. Bring on the Ghoulies and Goblins!
    Correct! and a very nice version of IASW they got in HKDL. PLus I would consider all of the exclusive seasonal efforts in entertainment to be "major" additions to the park, albeit in temporary form, but still.. much more than what I see the MK park do for the crowds they get and the money they charge there.

• Banned User

About time we see The Haunted Mansion or Pirates built in Hong Kong. It's really missing those massive E-Tickets that all of the other parks enjoy.

• The line's too long...

So late 2011 the park will get maybe one new e-ticket... you gotta be kidding me. Talk about too little too late.