Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

HKDR Second Gate - "Disney's North American Adventure"

"Disney's North American Adventure" is a park I have been constructing in my thoughts lately as a possible second gate for Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. I thought I would post my ideas here to get some feedback on them... and also because I have two weeks before returning to university and am bored out of my mind.
    I will post my ideas on a land-by-land basis, hopefully over the next couple of days.

North American Adventure would comprise five lands at the outset, each based on a geographical location within the continent. The lands would be extremely varied in nature, but fused by the North American theme.
    The locations are -
    - North-East Seaboard, USA ("North East Harbour")
    - Hollywood, USA ("Hollywoodland")
    - Quebec, Canada ("Maple Province")
    - Tropical Mexico ("Aztec Ruins")
    - The Caribbean ("Caribbean Cove")

The park would contain a healthy mix of classic, "re-imagined", and original attractions, and borrow some of the best aspects of the second gate parks found in the four other resorts, while still having its own unique identity.
    I do not imagine the park being quite on-par with the quality and depth of DisneySea, though it would certainly be of a higher level than California Adventure or Walt Disney Studios.

I will begin with the land one would first encounter upon entering the park - North East Harbour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NORTH EAST HARBOUR

[Aerial sketch attached in fourth post below]

North East Harbour represents the United States' North East, and particularly the Eastern Seaboard.
    The land most heavily draws from the New York precinct of DisneySea's American Waterfront, although in terms of appearance North East Harbour is not as run-down/worn looking as American Waterfront (but not as shiny as Main Street).

There are three attractions in this land. These are -
    - The American Story
    - Cannery Chaos
    - Broadway Theatre

In addition the land serves as a sort of transportation hub. One can board a boat here bound for Aztec Ruins and Caribbean Cove, or an elevated tram headed for Maple Province and Hollywoodland.

Upon passing through the turnstiles one finds himself in a small gardened plaza (outside of the berm). Here you might board a city vehicle for one-way transportation to the far end of the land.
    To enter the park proper one must walk through a gap in the berm over which elevated tram tracks run. On the other side, Guest Relations can be found to your immediate left and an Emporium to your right.
    Looking ahead one can now see a full-scale Independence Hall sitting proudly at the far end of the land.
    The left side of the land is dominated by a docks area, complete with fishing trawlers resting peacefully. The right side is a more urban landscape, with multi-storey building facades.

On the left side is a transportation hub, with an elevated tramway station sitting above a passenger boat dock [photo 1 below].
    Beyond these sits the North East Harbour Fish Cannery, the only truly dilapidated building in the land. The Cannery has been recently shuttered [photo 2 below], but you are welcome to take a spin on the attraction inside - Cannery Chaos!

Cannery Chaos is one of North American Adventure's unique attractions. It is an omnimover dark ride that combines elements of Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, and Monsters Inc. Ride & Go Seek.
    The dark, damp Cannery is filled with all manner of industrial equipment that sporadically burst noisily into life. Guests will pass through refridgerated rooms and broken steam pipes all while trying frantically to keep hungry rodents at bay by startling them with the spotlights attached to their vehicle.

On the right side of the land is the park's premier theatrical experience - the Broadway Theatre [photo 3 below]. Here one can see a live performance of a classic Disney film.
    Shopping and dining locations are located primarily on this side of the land, and a flight of stairs that might otherwise lead to a subway platform instead provide a short-cut to the French precinct of Maple Province (details in a later post).

As mentioned, sitting at the far end of North East Harbour is Independence Hall [photo 4 below]. Inside, though, one finds not the Hall of Presidents but rather a hybrid of that attraction and Epcot's The American Adventure - The American Story.
    The two attractions are blended together harmoniously in a manner that might bring a patriotic tear to an individual from any nation.

The dining options in North East Harbour are primarily American fare; the obligatory bakery and ice cream vendor can be found, as well as a counter service restaurant.

From the hub plaza in front of Independence Hall one finds two paths leading to lands very different from the urban atmosphere of North East Harbour; to the left is Aztec Ruins, and to the right Maple Province. Details on those lands will be forthcoming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post any thoughts on this (even if you hate it let me know).

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Bryce05; 02-11-2009 at 10:55 PM.

• would love some pie

Re: HKDR Second Gate - "Disney's North American Adventure"

Why North America? If you don't mind my curiosity. It seems out of place to me, and while I like your design, it's the overall idea that hits me the wrong way.
    KABLAM!

so far, i'm liking a lot of your concepts, some ideas i would change, but other it looks like you put a lot of thought into this and came up with a great park so far.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by DATman View Post
    Why North America? If you don't mind my curiosity. It seems out of place to me, and while I like your design, it's the overall idea that hits me the wrong way.
    There are a number of reasons why I have been thinking of the North America theme.
    I like that the continent provides such varied locales with which to work, while still allowing an overarching theme. I know that a Disney park doesn't necessarily require an overarching theme at all, but I prefer it personally.
    Also - as I will detail when I get around to posting more ideas - the theme allows several of Disney's most popular attractions to be brought to Hong Kong without being plonked-in WDS-style.

I understand that the Chinese might not lap-up American culture as readily as the Japanese, but I would hope the park could get around that as it is more of a continental (rather than US) idea.
    Last edited by Bryce05; 02-11-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Here is a rough aerial sketch of the layout of North East Harbour.

• Disney fan from Thailand

That's the one of good idea about new gate of Hong Kong Disney Resort, About me, i used to think about it too.
    About my planning I prefer a new theme park that is "Hong Kong Disney Mythology Land" Is it sound interesting?
    I think there are zone that reference to any theme relate to mythology and history from the world that is :
    1. Dragon Kingdom : it refer to history and mythology specially to China. yes, there are theme of "Mulan" for this zone.
    2. Olympus : I refer for Disney's Hercules for this zone. that all building and construct will realted to Greece. Moreover, i think "Olympus Mountain" should be a symbol of this theme park too.
    3. The Mysterious Place : For this zone, i refer to mysterious island in Tokyo Disney Sea that may contain attraction "Journey to the Center to the Earth" and "20,000 Leagues under the sea" too. This zone may be designed in theme of "Disney's Atlantis" and will have a new attraction about "Atlantis" will be great.
    4. Classic Asia : it's theme zone related to all culture of asia such as Japan, Korea, Thibet, Nepal, India and Thailand.
    5. Old American Town : It's may be a theme zone like as same as U.S.A. main Street (Shop and Restaurant) but some of them will be a space related to Indian and Cowboy (it's may be a new version of Westernland in Disney Park) that there are some of American heroes and "pocahontas" too.
    6. for last one i dont' know what will be their name, but i design it as same as theme zone refer from "Emperor's New Groove". there are Inca, Easter Island , StoneHenge, or nasca will be included in this zone too.

How about my idea? ^0^

• Not here to help

I am sure that if the fans of disney parks would get the chance to make changes or to design new parks and resorts disney would be on top more than ever... but I can´t see why an american themed park would fit in Hong Kong Disneyland Resort...
    a park about america would not be welcommed by all and would mostly be interesting for americans.
    people in hong kong have their own greatnes to celebrate and there are other parts of the world that awake more fascination among hong kongers

• Not here to help

a park that I would like to see is Disney´s Tokyo Adventure... but that´s another thing....

Disneythaitown - Your ideas are very interesting; I really like that of Olympus Mountain as the centrepiece. If you can spare the time some day to go in to more detail I would be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    a park about america would not be welcommed by all and would mostly be interesting for americans.
    people in hong kong have their own greatnes to celebrate and there are other parts of the world that awake more fascination among hong kongers
    I understand that to some a North American Adventure park might seem almost colonial in nature, however this park is not themed to simply the United States (only 2 of the 5 lands are) and is not a celebration of merely the US.
    I disagree that it would be an interesting park only for Americans. True, the people of Hong Kong are relatively wealthy and most could probably visit North America once in their lives if they so desired, but the same cannot be said for the mainland Chinese whose exposure to North American culture and experience is more limited. [If I am making unsound comments I apologise; I do not pretend to be well-studied on this matter]

I will post details of the Aztec Ruins land hopefully in the next day.

• Munchings & Crunchings

There is one thing though, it appears that HKDL will have a "North American" feel to it's upcoming Frontierland. Granted, it's not an entire park, but it does kind of take some of the wind out of your sails for a full-fledged park based on it.

From the sounds of the new HKDL expansion, they will take some of the theming from the American northwest, and have something decidedly different from the usual "wild west" Frontierlands from other MK's.

I think some of your ideas are good ones for your park, but maybe the overall theme could be less about one continent. You could mash up your idea with DisneyThaiTown's and get a combined park.

What I'm guessing Disney will do though, is what seems to be the trend. Build an "everything else" park for things that don't quite fit into a Magic Kingdom...It could be a "Disney Studios" park, or something of a hybrid of all of the second/third/fourth gate parks. I would be greatly impressed if Disney actually created a new concept, instead of a "best of" park though, but I'm just basing my thoughts on Disney's past behaviour...

Very valid points gurgi; I do believe that Frontierland will be HKDL's fifth land.
    It is true that Frontierland would take some of the wind from my sails (), though there would not be any duplication.
    Without giving too much away (I am sure the "suspense" is killing you ), the only classic Disneyland attraction that would be within North American Adventure is PoTC; nothing particularly similar to Mansion, BTMRR, or Splash - they can be placed within Adventureland and Frontierland.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    What I'm guessing Disney will do though, is what seems to be the trend. Build an "everything else" park for things that don't quite fit into a Magic Kingdom...It could be a "Disney Studios" park, or something of a hybrid of all of the second/third/fourth gate parks. I would be greatly impressed if Disney actually created a new concept, instead of a "best of" park though, but I'm just basing my thoughts on Disney's past behaviour...
    The park would indeed contain the "best of" the other resorts' second gates, though it would also have enough unique and never-realised attractions to form a distinct identity imo.

Please check back in a day or so to read about Aztec Ruins.

• Banned User

The name is awful. Not trying to be rude but it is really a mouthful.

• Minion

Why confine to North America? Doesn't make much sense to me...to me this is like DisneySea, but limiting the number of exotic locations.

I would be all for a DisneySea park as the second gate, with a Carribean section featuring a big new Pirates ride (could go where Lost River Delta is in TDS...and Indy could go in HKDL). The original park could also then...instead of Pirates...get Western River Expedition!
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    The name is awful. Not trying to be rude but it is really a mouthful.
    Yes, it is quite a mouthful, though no more syllables than California Adventure.
    "American Adventure" is nicer, but gives the impression that the park is themed solely to the US. Any suggestions?

tasman - I don't really consider a North American theme all that confining (it is certainly more open than the California or Studios themes). I just personally like a park to have an overriding theme to it, which North America is.

Working on the Aztec Ruins details right now.

AZTEC RUINS

[Aerial sketch attached on thread page 2]

Standing in front of Independence Hall one can turn either left, to Aztec Ruins, or right, to Maple Province.
    A large pyramid beckons those who turn to Aztec Ruins; only the tip of this ancient, crumbling structure is visible from this vantage point – it’s base is obscured by vegetation that becomes increasingly dense and untamed as you walk towards it [photo 1 below].
    Before one can reach the pyramid, first you must pass through an opening in a decaying city wall barely supporting the thick vines entangling it [photo 2].

At the base of the pyramid, the path veers left, towards this land’s thrill attraction – Spirit Mountain, and right, towards Caribbean Cove (details forthcoming).

One need not tire their feet by walking to Aztec Ruins though; a passenger boat can be caught from the transportation terminal at the docks in North East Harbour. Leaving the safety of the harbour, the boats venture deep into a jungle river before arriving at another dock where passengers can depart or stay onboard for continuing service to Caribbean Cove.
    Just beyond the Aztec Ruins dock, though, boats must enter a dark cave. Where this cave leads is detailed below.

Returning to the base of the pyramid, if one ventures down the path to the left an aviary can be found teeming with tropical bird life. The birds have reclaimed a number of ruins, but your passage is safe. This aviary is similar in appearance to that in the Maharajah Jungle Trek at DAK.

Nearby is the jungle river up which the passenger boats travel, and the dock where guests can board.

Upon crossing a bridge whose construction looks rather perilous one finally glimpses Spirit Mountain.
    Spirit Mountain is a clay peak in which one can see the beginnings of a “new” (now centuries old) cliffside village [photo 3]. There are also signs that archaeologists have recently been in the area. The diggings are conspicuously absent, though, and after one makes it through the queue which winds up the base of the mountain and enters the digging site the reason for this will become apparent.

The exterior of Spirit Mountain is similar in size to that of the mountains planned for Radiator Springs, and a large show building is hidden inside.

The indigenous persons who had begun to create this new village had dug deep into the mountain, and, upon boarding a sort-of mine cart contraption (that archaeologists must have set up) one sets of into the narrow carved tunnels. An elaborate network of tunnels and vast rooms is explored – some filled with tribal riches – before the apparent ghost of a chief appears warning that we must turn back immediately.
    His blunt warning, though, is ignored and soon enough we are being attacked by the enraged spirits that inhabit the mountain – who have killed both the villagers and archaeologists who have come before.

Spirit Mountain is something of a cross between the Indiana Jones at DL and the Indiana Jones/Raging Spirits coasters at DLP and DisneySea. [I did not want to add the Indiana Jones franchise to the attraction, as I think that would detract from the Mexican setting and give it too much of a US feel]

I envisage lots of fire and water effects, in-the-dark thrills, and the discovery of the archaeological team’s remains. At the finale riders finally escape the mountain and careen down the cliff face to safety.

Returning to land’s centerpiece – the Aztec pyramid – the interior is similar to that of the Mexican pavilion at Epcot. A marketplace and fine dining restaurant can be found inside.
    The cave mentioned above, into which passenger boats travel, leads to the interior of the pyramid also. The boats pass by the waterfront restaurant inside and then exit and continue on to Caribbean Cove.

A clone of the boat ride found within the Mexican Pavilion, or something similar, might also be located inside but I am reluctant to include this.

Other dining options in the land include an outdoor counter service location serving Mexican fare, and an attached margarita bar, plus a fresh fruit market.

Next up, Caribbean Cove.

Keep posting your thoughts, especially about the unique attractions Cannery Chaos and Spirit Mountain!
    Last edited by Bryce05; 02-15-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast