A Trip report - interesting read

From a friend at a coaster site:
    http://www.bannister.org/coasters/trips/2005/0917.htm

Some shocking stuff in there!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: A Trip report - interesting read

Very interesting read. It's good to hear positive reviews about a Disney theme park for a change (albeit the small number of attractions)
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

what is the Disneyland Story attraction, I didn't see that on the park roster.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE

oh.. thats confidential... who wants to get there to take a "quick" photo.. and show us whats so confidential.. pirate mountain?? I mean.. something??

lol

Thouhg.. i would like to see more photo from the aprade.. and see whats so different.. and hear that techno on Space mountain....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    It's a very small display of Disney history and how the park became to be, similar in format to the preshow at DL's First 50 yrs exhibit, but not as huge and no film or theater is available. Just an exhibit in the Opera House to the right of the Train station once you enter the park.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    i would like to see more photo from the aprade.. and see whats so different.. and hear that techno on Space mountain....
    Well... If you saw TDL's 100 yrs of magic Parade, then you have seen 60% of the HKDL's Disney on Parade. Only 4 new floats were built for this parade and the rest are from TDL's 100 yrs of Magic which closed in April 2003, before TDL's 20th anniversary Disney Dreams on Parade took over.

BTW... Laughingplace.com has a great Parade report from HKDL.

• Banned User

Now... If I may add some comments to the trip report Mr. Bannister wrote....

Based on my own experience at HKDL this past week, he is correct in many ways. The chinese guests do not really pay much attention or care to make an effort to follow the rules and regulations stated before the shows begin. I was also bothered by the constant assault of flash photography I witnessed during shows. One rude Chinese man recieved a cell call in the middle of the show and was taking loud enough to distract me during the Golden Mickeys show, when before hand, guests were instructed via signs and PA system to turn off pagers and cellphones before the show. I did not experience people cutting in line but that was maybe because the park was semi empty and most rides were almost walkons. For Space Mountain... I basicaly walked on twice and really never stopped to watch the safety video, but no one got in my case about it. Mr. Bannister's incident was unfortunate and an example of poor customer relations. Now.. not all the chinese are to be blamed. The only time I was vocal about something was waiting for the fireworks in the hub where two very short chinese ladies and I were standing by the railing to view the show, and all of a sudden.. two french speaking caucasian guests showed up and plopped themselves in front of everyone without shame, blocking the view for the short ladies who were waiting longer to view the fireworks.. I did not think twice and told them not to be rude and explained that the ladies in front of me and myself had been waiting longer... The man said something to the effect that "it's fireworks..the show is up above in the sky", to what I complied "that it may be the case but they were being rude to those who had waited longer", and besides... the lady was sitting on the railing with her feet on the garden side. (I was not surprised they spoke french since this is the same behavior I see at DLP all of the time by most european guests, regardless of being from France or not. Well, after a few secs, the woman got off the railing and moved over, and the man squatted on the floor. It was a good thing I intervened since (HINT!! FYI!! SPOILERS!!) the HKDL fireworks are LOW LEVER pyro, and the castle itself put on a bright and beautiful light show with strobes, colorful lights, and even using it's walls as movie projection screens, similar to DL's E-tickets in the Sky. So if you go, make sure you have a clear view of the castle and do not allow anyone to block your view illegally after you have claimed your spot.

As for Mr. Bannister's comments... some clarifications:

He says..."(Space Mt) The ride is more reminiscent of the original than anything else." The original Space Mountain is WDW's, built in 1973 and does not resemble the HKDL version. I am sure he meant the 'original Disneyland Park's' version built in 1977 since HKDL's Space is the same track of the DL version with some minor show variation to DL's improved ride and show.

He also says..."There were two major attractions in Hong Kong Disneyland that were totally new to me, and are as far as I am aware unique to this park. The first is Festival of the Lion King (& 2nd is Golden Mickeys)..." "King" is not unique to HKDL as everyone who has been to DAK could attest. Golden Mickeys show is unique to HKDL now but the original version that inspired HKDL's version came from the Disney Cruise Line, and HKDL's duplicates some of the moments from the original show at sea.

He also says about the HKDL Railroad..." The design of the cars on board was unusual, with seats facing sideways and one side of the car closed off completely" Well that's not usual really... DL in CA had at least one side-facing train going around the vern as far as I know in similar fashion to HKDL's trains. DLP also has one-side facing trains, but the seating in arranged into separate cubicules that face the park only and prevent looking to the outside of the vern, just like HKDL's.

All in all, a good report, but I wish Mr. Bannister had also taken more time to comment on the positive aspects of HKDL as a whole... such as the great theming around the park, the very enjoyable new version of the JC, the very nice view from the top of Tarzan's Treehouse, the surprisingly pretty Fantasia Gardens, the lush DAK-style Adventureland, the lovely Lantau mountains that frame the park and gives it an unique intimate and exciting backdrop... etc etc.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for sharing this link Peabody.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 09-18-2005 at 11:23 PM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Hey TDLFan, do you have a big photo update with the inside of HKDL?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Hey TDLFan, do you have a big photo update with the inside of HKDL?
    My visit into HKDL was rather brief, at late afternoon/night and expeditious so I had no time to take a truck load of pics. But those I took can be seen if you go to the "Night time in Lantau" topic here in the HKDL section of Micechat.