Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 3 new lands confirmed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by josh_kslow View Post
    Is anyone here subscribed to SCMP.com? Can you please upload the full article for us to read.TQ.
    3 new 'lands' in plan for Disneyland expansion

The government and The Walt Disney Company appear to have agreed to include new "lands" and rides based on wilderness, arctic and adventure themes as part of a planned expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland, informed sources have said.

But how the new attractions will be paid for and by whom, and the impact on the existing shareholding structure of the theme park, have yet to be resolved.

The expansion plan would see the largest area in the site become a nature wonderland. Passengers on a roller-coaster ride would pass through mine shafts, tunnels and a wilderness area complete with audio effects and animatronic (robotic) animals, the sources said.

The arctic environment would allow visitors to enjoy real snow slopes in enclosed, temperature-controlled areas. A train ride was also planned.

A third land was based on the "unexpected" theme. Inspired by the adventures of early explorers, the area will see visitors transported on computer-controlled rides. The different environments would incorporate supernatural elements and animatronic figures, but the sequence of the rides would vary to let passengers enjoy a different experience each time, the sources said.

Each of the three new lands would have a specific storyline to immerse visitors in the ride.

Disney representatives presented a scale model of the expansion site to the government in Hong Kong in March last year.

In November, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Rita Lau Ng Wai-lan reviewed the expansion plans with Disney management while in Los Angeles.

It is understood that the government found previous designs ordinary and uninspiring and demanded changes, but was unable to explain to Disney what it wanted.

The current plans were not final and could still be changed, but there did not seem to be any major disagreements about the themes and designs of the lands, the sources said.

Both joint-venture partners agree that expansion is necessary to help Hong Kong Disneyland grow in attendance and business. But given that the multibillion-dollar price tag attached to such an expansion will attract intense scrutiny by the public and lawmakers, it is understood that the government wants to ensure that it negotiates the best possible deal.

The government owns 57 per cent of the theme park with Disney holding the rest.

Visitor numbers had grown by a double-digit rate in the past six months, compared with the same period a year earlier, managing director Andrew Kam Min-ho said. But merchandise sales had risen more slowly than expected because some visitors were reining in their spending due to the financial downturn.

• Not here to help

When I am 45 IŽll be able to have fun in that park... IŽll believe it when I ride it!

It would be cool to see a Splash Mountain with a theme of a melting iceberg. Mickey, Donald and co could be inside it singing like crazy.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-03-2009 at 03:34 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by iluvHKDL View Post
    But how the new attractions will be paid for and by whom, and the impact on the existing shareholding structure of the theme park, have yet to be resolved.
    Ha! So nothing's changed, things are still at an impasse and could be for years.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

maybe its a bad a pril fools day joke

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    maybe its a bad a April fools day joke
    My thoughts exactly. Although the date on the article is April 2, perhaps they were off on their timing.

Besides, how can they suddenly announce three new lands without a whole lot of description or explanation a few days after announcing that all expansion of the resort is being stopped?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Although the date on the article is April 2, perhaps they were off on their timing.

Besides, how can they suddenly announce three new lands without a whole lot of description or explanation a few days after announcing that all expansion of the resort is being stopped?
    Well atleast we know what they want in HKDL's expansion...(I think!)

• Iron-Clad Allie

It's rather suspicious that one has to take a free trial membership on this pay site to read the rest of the story ..following the first paragraph.

Still, I'd prefer to be optomistic and believe the announcement of the three lands and their respective attractions have some credibility.

I agree that the nature's wonderland attraction sounds like a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad type of experience.

A trackless spinning doombuggy would make HKDL's new version of the Haunted Mansion pretty trippy. I'd be totally intranced.

The arctic environ sounds like possibly a combination of a Pirates type of a ride ..only traveling by train rather than boat. It would likely be a mild coaster, and include animatronics and special effects. The design to allow guests to play in real snow sounds pretty cool.

I'm reasoning that the train would be moderately fast because HKDL already has one slow moving train ..and the BTMR new land would envove a fast train. Perhaps one of the two new lands rumored to have a train is inaccurate. Two train coasters would be a bit much.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

not sure why but the nature wonderland idea sounds interesting for a DCA challenge trail replacement. That whole area of the park could be removed and a unique nature wonderland area with caverns and tunnels built using a train ride system
    Last edited by Baloo; 04-13-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Here is a glimpse of the PotC-Splash Mountain hybrid that was planned for one of the expansion pads at HKDL. This imagineer is painting the top of the moutain (the ride boats would come out of the skulls mouth for the big drop). Behind him are storyboards for the ride scenes.

http://www.mousetreasures.org/events..._files/wdi.jpg

Maybe one day Skull Mountain will see the light of day... but there were rumors that the HKDL didn't care for At World's End's depiction of the Chinese and vetoed the pirates ride (before expansion land ground to a halt).
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 04-12-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: removed hot-linked photo

• Not here to help

what does the chinese really care for?

the suits in hk seme to want HKDL to be filled with cheap rides...
    could this be how HKDLŽs pirate themed new ride would look like?

http://www.highextreme.co.uk/images/...venture_19.JPG
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 04-12-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Removed Hotlinked photo

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    what does the chinese really care for?

the suits in hk seme to want HKDL to be filled with cheap rides...
    could this be how HKDLŽs pirate themed new ride would look like?

http://www.highextreme.co.uk/images/...venture_19.JPG
    That is uncalled for. So are you saying the old Skull Rock at Disneyland was cheap? I think not.

• Not here to help

that square box in the pic is CHEAP looking...

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    It's rather suspicious that one has to take a free trial membership on this pay site to read the rest of the story ..following the first paragraph.
    Can you by chance be able to post the rest of that article? Anymore interesting info regarding this?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    that square box in the pic is CHEAP looking...
    Umm, I think that is just a table for the model.

• Super

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Umm, I think that is just a table for the model.
    He means the image that he posted: http://www.highextreme.co.uk/images/...venture_19.JPG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast