Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Just this guy......

Re: HKDL Expansion concept art!!!

I think that Disney has gone into a very odd direction with this one. Have such small "lands" with only one or two attractions just seems wrong. Also not to put Toy Story Mania into Toy Land again is just odd. The park has always seemed to lack attractions so I'm glad to see more being built. But in the long run I think that having such small areas will hurt rather than help.

• Pilot EdForceOne

An original rollercoaster with new story/theme... in an original land
    An original, new version of a HM-style ride... in an original land

And the return of the Adventurers Club.

Given the types of complaints people usually have about character tie-ins, cloning, lack of park-original ideas, etc.. this sounds like basically the anti-version of everyone's complaints. I think it all sounds great.

And when people say XYZ ride doesn't belong in the park.. I'll all point you to is Dumbo, Carousal, and the tea cups.

The ride system isn't what makes or breaks a Disney attraction, its what they do as a package that makes it work or not.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    An original rollercoaster with new story/theme... in an original land
    An original, new version of a HM-style ride... in an original land

And the return of the Adventurers Club.

Given the types of complaints people usually have about character tie-ins, cloning, lack of park-original ideas, etc.. this sounds like basically the anti-version of everyone's complaints. I think it all sounds great.

And when people say XYZ ride doesn't belong in the park.. I'll all point you to is Dumbo, Carousal, and the tea cups.

The ride system isn't what makes or breaks a Disney attraction, its what they do as a package that makes it work or not.
    One Dumbo is enough! He is fine where he is in Fantsasyland. Toy story land is far away from Fantasyland when it comes to fantasy and will to create something lasting. It is a cheap way to place cheap rides and characters. Not what HKDL needs at all.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    It's a step in the right direction. And about what I would expect for $ 500 million. Though I think everyone agrees, Toy Story is a waste of land. Despite the criticism...I bet in a few years...we will see trip reports telling us that these additions are sooo much better than anything at the MK
    I´d say:

Build only 2 new lands, with 2 new rides each. Nothing more!

Major rides would crush all competition and it would leave some space for that cheap crap they could add in 5-10 years just for the sake of expanding. Better to have 2 good things than 2 ok and 1 that SUCKS.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by hkdlfan View Post
    Oh well, atleast we should be really grateful we ARE getting something from these folks
    WE are the ones that in the end will pay for it all...

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'm sure that the Toy Story Land is just there because it was cheap to piggyback the costs with WDSP. I mean if both lands will be nearly identical, it makes it easier for HKDL to spend on the new lands. I like the idea of the Big Grizzly Mountain RR, and Mystic Manor. They are both totally new takes on classic attractions, and are at least something unique to this Magic Kingdom.

The addition does make for a very odd shaped park though...it's not as easy to navigate as any of the other Magic Kingdoms, because they are forced to go beyond the berm. The strange thing to me, is the placement of the lands too. Mystic Point should have been where Grizzly Mountain is, that way the transition from Adventureland wouldn't be right into the American north woods. Plus, I would think the Toy Story universe would mesh better with the Grizzly stuff, since they could play up the Woody/cowboy angle at the transition point. Oh well, I'm still not overly negative about these additions, they are at least something new for the park. I am most excited by what they will do with the new Mystic Manor concept. It's a blend of Pooh's Hunny Hunt/Aquatopia, the TDS Tower of Terror storyline, and the classic Haunted Mansion. Sounds awesome to me! I wonder if they will even use Harrison Hightower, or invent a totally new explorer?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    One Dumbo is enough! He is fine where he is in Fantsasyland. Toy story land is far away from Fantasyland when it comes to fantasy and will to create something lasting. It is a cheap way to place cheap rides and characters. Not what HKDL needs at all.
    Sounds like the typical double standard. What Walt did was fine, if anyone else does similar it's not. DL is full of 'cheap rides' dressed up and they are adored, not scorned.

Dumbo
    Tea Cups
    Casey Jr
    Tea Cups
    Rocket Jets
    Autopia(s)
    Motorboat Cruise
    Mule Ride
    etc etc

The Disney difference is in what they make the total package to be - and what still differentiates a ride like Everest from a ride like Screamin.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by keithlee83 View Post
    SHDL will be more PIXAR themed from rumor。In fact I don't know TOY STORY PLAYLAND is bad or not , but HKDL needs more indoor ride than outdoor !
    haha what is it with you? you are afraid of water and now you don´t want to be outside

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Sounds like the typical double standard. What Walt did was fine, if anyone else does similar it's not. DL is full of 'cheap rides' dressed up and they are adored, not scorned.

Dumbo
    Tea Cups
    Casey Jr
    Tea Cups
    Rocket Jets
    Autopia(s)
    Motorboat Cruise
    Mule Ride
    etc etc

The Disney difference is in what they make the total package to be - and what still differentiates a ride like Everest from a ride like Screamin.
    A few sparkling cheap rides make good variation. But I´d be the first to tear all that old crap down if I could.
    Autopia...feh!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I think the biggest problem I have with what this looks like, at least to me, is that they claim they are adding 30 new attractions. Does that mean they are counting water play areas and photo spots? Doesn't seem like 30 to me, yet I hope there is more to the announcement than just this.

I do think Mystic Manor and the new coaster sound great though!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I think the biggest problem I have with what this looks like, at least to me, is that they claim they are adding 30 new attractions. Does that mean they are counting water play areas and photo spots? Doesn't seem like 30 to me, yet I hope there is more to the announcement than just this.
    I forgot to say that I also agree that claiming 30 attraction is dumb. Calling a photo area an attraction is not what Disney should be doing. Do we know where Paul Pressler is at the moment? This sounds like something he would have done.

We are looking at 2 major attractions (which the park really needs) and two or three minor attractions? Seems kind of weak when you look at it that way.

I don't know why most here are reacting negative. Yes the Toy Story Land is pretty tacky especially the U shape thing, but the mystic point/Grizzly trail are unique, origianl, delicate, and elegant. The entire HKDL is not built in a grand scale, and the three new small lands fit in the style of HKDL. On top of that, being smaller means everything will be more polished and detailed, like the rest of HKDL. I tend to like the style of HKDL. Just like their Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel, it is definetly smaller than the Grand Floridian, while it is even more detailed. Think about it. HKDL is facing the mosterous SHDL. I think the only way to compete with it is by making HKDL more unique than make it bigger than(because it is impossible). I am still looking forward to the future of this little magic kingdom.

• i heart plunging v-necks

I'm assuming they went ahead with Toy Story Land to have something new for the park by 2010, also HKDL's 5th anniversary. Design work is already lifted from WDS' plans (I heard the blueprint is a mirror image of WDS' version) and the rides should be simple to install with a brief construction period.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Okay. This is a very interesting plan.

Grizzly Gulch, I'm sure, will be a very fun and immersive environment if it does deliver the promise of being a hybrid of Big Thunder and Grizzly Peak. Plus, add in the Everest technology and a few show scenes, you've got yourself a great new, original E-Ticket!

Mystic Manor... not sure about the name, but then again, we have a Haunted Mansion, so it works. Definitely looking forward to how the trackless ride system will be used, they definitely did not disappoint with their one other trackless ride.

Toy Story land. . . . .sorry, no comment.

okay, it's garbage.

Overall, it looks like a nice expansion, and it's better than nothing.

• Circle of Ancients

I think all of the lands look fine, however, the placement of the Toy Story land is what I have a problem with. It just sticks out like s sore thumb.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast