Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Mystic Manor Revealed

Its a shame that it could be canned, but hey, the rest of it doesn't look too shabby without it. And I think we'd rather have one room less than a whole attraction that had its corners cut to accommodate it.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Why am I not surprised Randy Savage provided this great post.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Thanks for the great report Alain.

Sadly - and as happens with all attractions - it looks like a great concept that almost made it (the steamy Greenhouse with giant/exotic/carnivorous/attacking plants) got cut due to budget.

You can see below that the model has 13 labeled show scenes, including the large glass-topped greenhouse, while the paintings only have 12.

My hope is, as was alluded to in Semiquaver's original post, is that they keep the Greenhouse room ("As of now there will still be a few large venus fly traps snapping at guests in this spot") and ramp up the scene one day in the future when they have the budget.

Since the Greenhouse preceded the the Nordic Rooms they were trying to go for the hot/cold sensation. Looks like it will be cold only...

Cool! What's this about DELETED SCENE?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I'm so confused! A big-budget E-ticket attraction... that's not a clone... with no character tie-in... that's actually in-theme and visually beautiful...

and isn't in Tokyo...

How did this thing ever get approved!?

I agree with everything you say about the detail, no character stuff and all, but it's a clone. It's a Haunted Mansion with a mischievous magical theme replacing the ghost theme. I has two Imagineers working on it tell me so at the Expo.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I really think that Burbank and WDI should seriously consider something like this for DCA's Paradise Pier.
    Baloo, Disneyland already has this, it's right next to Splash Mountain if you want to go ride it. The theme may be a little different, but it's the same attraction, they ain't going to be build a HM for DCA to compliment the one over in DL.

ImagineerWarrior

• Minion

^^ Well of course we all have to wait a few years to see what the final product is like, but I would disagree with you on this one, Imagineer Waryur. From the descriptions and artwork this attraction seems sufficiently different to me that I would not call it a clone. By comparison I think Hunny Hunt in TDL is much more similar to the stateside Pooh rides than the Mystic Manor is to any haunted mansion...but I certainly wouldn't call Hunny Hunt a clone either.

As for DCA...I would love to see Paradise Pier...or at least the area where Mulholland Madness is today...replaced with a "Discovery Bay" theme. The Discovery Bay concept from the 1970s was inspired by San Francisco's Barbary Coast of the 19th century...so this would fit the broader theme of "California"...and I think a Mystic Manor (with appropriate architectural and cultural modifications) would be a nice fit there.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

ImagineerWaryur must have a very unusual definition of the word "clone."

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineerWaryur View Post
    it's a clone. It's a Haunted Mansion with a mischievous magical theme replacing the ghost theme.
    This statement is the exact equivalent of saying "Expedition Everest is a clone of Big Thunder Mountain, with a Himalaya theme replacing the Old West theme.

I has two Imagineers working on it tell me so at the Expo.
    The imagineers who told you it was the park's haunted mansion (note the lower case) meant that in the sense ride-type (ie., flume, coaster, spinner, haunted house).

The theme may be a little different, but it's the same attraction, they ain't going to be build a HM for DCA to compliment the one over in DL.
    Maybe you're being tongue-in-cheek and I'm taking it at face value... if not you need to reread the ride description. Mystic Manor does not replicate a single thing from Haunted Mansion. The only thing they have in common is that they are their respective park's haunted house style ride.

I think a clone of Mytic Manor - maybe featuring an eccentric 1908 Californian collector would be a welcome addition to the PP side of DCA.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Randy, I think you're right. As it is, Tower of Terror is DCA's haunted house.

• King of Los Angeles

It'd be cool to put a clone of this in DCA's Pacific Wharf section. Because of the nautical ties, it'd make sense if an eccentric (yet-to-be-named) seafaring explorer set up shop in a small fishing village. It wouldn't have to be a clone, but add to the hightower/mystic story that's already been established! Or it could be positioned as Gustav Tinkerschmidt's Mysteries of the World Museum since he is the eclectic proprietor of the pier. It wasn't uncommon to see mystical sideshows and "artifacts" from the four corners of the globe in carnivals and seaside piers.
    Last edited by BuzzedLightyear; 09-17-2009 at 06:24 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    It'd be cool to put a clone of this in DCA's Pacific Wharf section. Because of the nautical ties, it'd make sense if an eccentric (yet-to-be-named) seafaring explorer set up shop in a small fishing village. It wouldn't have to be a clone, but add to the hightower/mystic story that's already been established! Or it could be positioned as Gustav Tinkerschmidt's Mysteries of the World Museum since he is the eclectic proprietor of the pier. itw asn't uncommon to see mystical sideshows from and "artifacts" from the four corners of the globe in Carnivals and seaside piers.
    Yes Please!! they could put it where Moleholeland (sp lol) madness is and somehow make it go under the road to the PP Hotel Parking lot possibly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    Or it could be positioned as Gustav Tinkerschmidt's Mysteries of the World Museum since he is the eclectic proprietor of the pier. It wasn't uncommon to see mystical sideshows and "artifacts" from the four corners of the globe in carnivals and seaside piers.
    That is an excellent idea... would be great if TDA ran with it after the exemption period.

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

My hope is, as was alluded to in Semiquaver's original post, is that they keep the Greenhouse room ("As of now there will still be a few large venus fly traps snapping at guests in this spot") and ramp up the scene one day in the future when they have the budget.
    Thinking back, it sounded more like that room wouldn't be built. That room for the previous scene would be a little longer and have the snapping plants thrown in at the end.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Lightbulb Re: Mystic Manor Revealed

It is a petty, that it lose's one scene(If they add heat to the second tribal scene, i will be happy.)
    As for the storyline, Hightower is involved!?(this might be the first time in Disney park's history!, for the storyline cross to other parks, from TDS[TOT]to HKDL[MM]!) HMMMMMMM...

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Mystic is Hightower's rival, dontchaknow. Take a look at this other thread:

I don't know if anyone has read it yet, but Blue Sky Disney has a great article on what the SEA in DisneySEA really means. Fascinating stuff that I never knew. Those Imagineers are geniuses! And yet another reason why TDS is such an amazingly detailed park. I hope we see more of this story type detail in all the other parks.

Blue Sky Disney: The Hidden Sea...

ImagineerWarrior
    The Meaning of DisneyS.E.A.

The Mystic Point location happens to hold Mystic Manor which is owned by Lord Henry Mystic. He happens to also be a member of S.E.A. and is a club rival with Hightower.
    Blue Sky Disney: The Hidden Sea...

Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 09-18-2009 at 01:49 PM.

• Banned User

Baloo, Disneyland already has this, it's right next to Splash Mountain if you want to go ride it. The theme may be a little different, but it's the same attraction, they ain't going to be build a HM for DCA to compliment the one over in DL.

ImagineerWarrior
    This is Mystic Manor, not Haunted Mansion. They are two totally different attractions.

Mystic Manor is an enchanted home of a famed explorer with no ghosts at all and with a far more in depth story.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

HKDL's Mystic Manor does not = Phantom Manor at DLP.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    HKDL's Mystic Manor does not = Phantom Manor at DLP.
    Bingo...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast