• Pongo is my hero.

Re: Mystic Manor Revealed

Clones ^
    Not Clones v

one hundred and one

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think Mystic Manner ride vehicles are going to feel a lot like Midway Mania, I don't know why.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Timekeeper View Post
    It is a petty, that it lose's one scene(If they add heat to the second tribal scene, i will be happy.)
    As for the storyline, Hightower is involved!?(this might be the first time in Disney park's history!, for the storyline cross to other parks, from TDS[TOT]to HKDL[MM]!) HMMMMMMM...
    Over the years TDR has built up a strong fanbase in Japan...this may be one way to entice some of them to make a trip to not-so-far-off Hong Kong.
    Down with the Hat

• Current CM

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Over the years TDR has built up a strong fanbase in Japan...this may be one way to entice some of them to make a trip to not-so-far-off Hong Kong.
    There're quite a lot of Japanese guests in HKDL. It's funny to see them wearing kimonos and ride Space Mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ImagineerWaryur must have a very unusual definition of the word "clone."
    First off, I call it a clone because it's a variation on HM theme, not an exact copy. I never said it was. And I don't consider calling it a clone an insult like some here seem to be insinuating. It's the basic them of a HM that the Imagineers started out with. They wanted it to be different and I'm glad they did. I don't like every attraction being the same. I love how TOT is different at Tokyo, Orlando and to a much smaller degree Anaheim and Paris. Although I wish ours was even more different out here at DCA. My fav TOT is the DisneySEA version, but it's still very much that style. But as the Imagineer told me, (one of the two I talked to) it started out as a HM attraction and they worked on how to make it different, but it is a HM, but one that has been reworked in both story and technology. And I applaud them for doing so.

The imagineers who told you it was the park's haunted mansion (note the lower case) meant that in the sense ride-type (ie., flume, coaster, spinner, haunted house).
    I'm glad you know how to read the minds of the Imagineers I talked to. I take it you were there watching my conversation and was able to pick up the "vibs" of the Imagineers and translate what they "really" meant to me. Randy, please don't try and tell me what I heard when you weren't there. I trust what the Imagineers said. It's a HM. Not a exact clone of any other, but one that has strayed far from the original concept.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    This is Mystic Manor, not Haunted Mansion. They are two totally different attractions.

Mystic Manor is an enchanted home of a famed explorer with no ghosts at all and with a far more in depth story.
    Thanks ICe101, next time I see those Imagineers, I'll walk up and scream at them: "You LIED to me! You LIED to me! ICe101 says different. You are just some Imagineer who doesn't know what he's talking about. How could you, you only work at WDI!"

You people really need to not get in such a fuss because I called it what the Imagineers were calling it. It's not an insult to call it that. We all agree that it looks great and will be a wonderful addition to HKDL, but it's the HM that everyone heard about years ago that was going to be in the expanded Adventureland. The one they said was Voodoo themed? I think all those enchanted items are what they were talking about. It's that attraction, but for some reason some people think it's bad to say so.

Such is life. Eh, whatever..

ImagineerWarrior
    Last edited by ImagineerWaryur; 09-19-2009 at 11:14 PM.

• Banned User

ImagineerWarrior, they never said it was Haunted Mansion, they said it was Mystic Manor.

• Minion

ImagineerWaryur, I know what you mean regarding the origins of MM, and it's not worth arguing semantics.

But surely you can admit that the attractions (HM & MM) are different enough to make the following statement farcical:

Quote Originally Posted by ImagineerWaryur View Post
    Disneyland already has this, it's right next to Splash Mountain if you want to go ride it. The theme may be a little different, but it's the same attraction
    By riding the attraction next to Splash Mountain, Baloo is not going to get the anything close to the same experience as riding Mystic Manor. So this statement had to be addressed/corrected.

ImagineerWaryur, I know what you mean regarding the origins of MM, and it's not worth arguing semantics.

By riding the attraction next to Splash Mountain, Baloo is not going to get the anything close to the same experience as riding Mystic Manor. So this statement had to be addressed/corrected.
    I agree with you Randy that the experience is going to be different. I'm not trying to get into a semantic contest with people. I just think people saying it's a whole new attraction are off base. The term clone that I used wasn't meant to be a pejorative like it is in other cases. But its a cultural case I believe that they decided to go the route they did with the MM attraction for China. It certainly was cultural reason as to why they didn't build a Pirates ride, but that's another story Imagineers shared with me. But I don't think there is enough difference to justify having one in DCA across from HM. This has nothing to do with my love of the ride, since I think it's going to be the best attraction in the park. Just my opinion.

ImagineerWarrior, they never said it was Haunted Mansion, they said it was Mystic Manor.
    Ok, somehow this isn't getting through to you ICe101. The Imagineers I talked to SAID, I repeat, SAID that this was the equivalent of HKDL's version of the Haunted Mansion. They said THOSE words to me. Don't tell me they never said it. I was there, I saw it, I heard it. It was said to my face. Are we clear now? You weren't there when I was talking to them so please don't tell me they never said something that you weren't around to hear. They said it and they work for WDI, not you. I trust what they told me since they're in the position to know. Plain and simple.

ImagineerWarrior
    Last edited by ImagineerWaryur; 09-20-2009 at 05:03 PM.

• Mouseketeer

The imagineer I talked to said that the idea for Mystic Manor came about when they asked themselves, "What if the Haunted Mansion was in Adventureland?"

MM can definately trace it's family tree back to HM, but perhaps "cousin" would be more accurate than the term "clone"?
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Ok, somehow this isn't getting through to you ICe101. The Imagineers I talked to SAID, I repeat, SAID that this was the equivalent of HKDL's version of the Haunted Mansion. They said THOSE words to me. Don't tell me they never said it. I was there, I saw it, I heard it. It was said to my face. Are we clear now? You weren't there when I was talking to them so please don't tell me they never said something that you weren't around to hear. They said it and they work for WDI, not you. I trust what they told me since they're in the position to know. Plain and simple.

ImagineerWarrior
    Oh really? I sure heard otherwise. The Imagineer I talked to said it was similar to Haunted Mansion but a much bigger blend of Tower of Terror Tokyo, the Enchanted Tiki Room, and several other attractions. I am defending what I heard from an Imagineer, what I saw from the concept art and storyboards.

I'm just glad this attraction was announced more fully so I can finally feel safe talking about it without violating anyone's NDA or whatever :B

I heard about this attraction last year around this time actually there used to be a dinosaur skeleton that would come to life in one scene but it was cut and at that time they were fighting for the garden scene which I guess was also cut.

At one point the attraction was supposed to come to life while the night watchmen slept with the final scene being him snoring as the sun rose back up in the background but that was obviously scrapped. I'm glad though this setup works so much better for telling the story cohesively and it will match whatever time of day guests visit.

Oh really? I sure heard otherwise. The Imagineer I talked to said it was similar to Haunted Mansion but a much bigger blend of Tower of Terror Tokyo, the Enchanted Tiki Room, and several other attractions. I am defending what I heard from an Imagineer, what I saw from the concept art and storyboards.
    Defend your encounter all you want, just don't tell me that both of my encounters with them never happened.

You seem a little too picky when someone calls it a clone; as if I'm directly trying to insult it. Clearly it's different from the original HM and it's moved into much different territory which is great, but the origins are that place up in the original DL.. I simply don't want one here because it is too close to the original attraction. I don't want both parks having mysterious manors with one having ghost to scare you and another having artifacts to scare you. While we're at it, let's put in a third so we can have lots of mansions or houses with magical elements.

That was one of my main points. That it's not so original that it needs to be duplicated here. Clone, cousin, whatever.. it's a variation on a classic them, updated for the Chinese culture. Good for them and good for Disney. I look forward to going to ride it some day and I hope it never comes here so that HKDL remains unique and a reason to book a flight there. All Disney parks should be as original as Tokyo DisneySEA if you want my opinion.

ImagineerWarrior

• Five-Legged Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    I heard about this attraction last year around this time actually there used to be a dinosaur skeleton that would come to life in one scene but it was cut and at that time they were fighting for the garden scene which I guess was also cut.

At one point the attraction was supposed to come to life while the night watchmen slept with the final scene being him snoring as the sun rose back up in the background but that was obviously scrapped. I'm glad though this setup works so much better for telling the story cohesively and it will match whatever time of day guests visit.
    I hope they keep the room where the garden was supposed to have gone, even if it's underthemed or even an unthemed, transitional space. I'd rather HKDL have the opportunity some years down the line, when money becomes available, to fully flesh out the room (along the lines of what WDW finally did with the spiderweb room in MK's HM), than change the layout of the attraction in such a way that the "deleted" scene can never be added in.

I'm glad they went with the monkey/musicbox idea. The night watchman story seems a bit too much like Night at the Museum -- as does the dinosaur bones coming to life.

And, in any case, this way we can have Albert the monkey plushes...

Smile Re: Mystic Manor Revealed

Baloo, Disneyland already has this, it's right next to Splash Mountain if you want to go ride it. The theme may be a little different, but it's the same attraction, they ain't going to be build a HM for DCA to compliment the one over in DL.

ImagineerWarrior
    That arguement can be used for many attractions that have similar ideas but with completely new experiences.

Why ride Midway Mania in DCA when you could go ride Buzz lightyear in Disneyland. Why another movie darkride in DCA when you have three or four in Disneyland. Forget about the carousel in DCA along with the spinners when they have similar ones in Disneyland. All attractions with similar ideas and ride system yet they each offer a diferent experience.

The experiences between both the original Haunted Mansion and the Mystic Manor are so diferent that they could easily work in two seperate parks.

Another great example of how much diferent an experience could be even with identical ride systems is TOT. Riding Tower of Terror here in the states and then riding the same attraction in Tokyo are two completely unique experiences because of their completely diferent storyline and theming.

Even now the Huanted Mansion has two seperate experiences within the sam building within the same park. The nightmare overlay on Haunted Mansion completely changes the mood and experience of the same attraction so much that wait times double and triple for the few months that it is presented.

I am not sugesting that a direct clone should be considered for DCA but the overal idea of the attraction with its very unique ride system automatically changes the experience that the original Huanted Mansion does not offer.

Its all about the creation and imagination of making sure that these two attraction with similar foundations each create unique experiences for the guests.

If we're going to clone something, Baloo, let's clone Tokyo DisneySEA for the third park..

Or at least clone that kind of quality in a disney park. I'd love to see Lasseter in charge of the third park, perhaps especially if it were a Disney Villain's theme park with TDS quality.

For what it's worth Baloo, I love the MM attraction, but one creepy old mansion with mysterious things going on is enough for the DLR for me.. I think it's great that they deviated from a traditional HM and expanded it out to what this attraction has become. WDI is showing they can still make top notch stuff AND top notch stuff that doesn't involve cartoon characters. Now, let's have a little more of that for DCA specifically and DLR in general.

ImagineerWarrior

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast