• Minion

Universal Studios Singapore will fare better than HKDL??

according to CIO today

Another question is whether the Universal theme park will fare better than Hong Kong Disneyland, where attendance has underperformed expectations. Visitors complained the Hong Kong park's 296-acre lot felt too small, but the Sentosa park spans just 49 acres. [By contrast, the Universal theme park in Orlando sprawls across 840 acres.] Universal Singapore therefore feels somewhat cramped, with its Battlestar Galactica-inspired roller coaster sitting just meters away from statues of pharaohs and the Egyptian-themed attraction next door.
    is the size quoted above for Universal Studios Singapore really 49 acres??

• HKDL fan

Re: Universal Studios Singapore will fare better than HKDL??

No, the whole resort which is Resorts World at Sentosa is 49 hectares (that is 121acres). The size of the theme park itself, i'm still searching.
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com

Quote Originally Posted by josh_kslow View Post
    No, the whole resort which is Resorts World at Sentosa is 49 hectares (that is 121acres). The size of the theme park itself, i'm still searching.
    It is true that it's not a gigantic park, but a nice attraction slate nonetheless.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

They clearly don't know the difference between measuring "the park" and measuring "the whole resort".

Even though the Hong Kong resort is only 300 acres, there is more potential to reclaim more land in future decades for a Third gate or hotels or a Water Park if the HKDL and its future Second Gate become very successful, right?

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

• Minion

Universal has never devalued their theme park brand by building a park that was too small or too cheap, unlike what Disney often did between 1989 and 2005.

Disney parks at their best, are still without comparison. But in the past two decades, they frequently haven't been at their best. Universal has never reached the heights of thematic immersion seen at DLP or TDS or the older Disney parks. But they have maintained consistency in the quality and quantity of attractions that their parks offer.

I predict that Universal Singapore will be a success by Universal standards, with perhaps 6 million or more visitors per year.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

^ Well put and I agree completely.

Here's hoping USS will be a big success and an "arms race" between it and HKDL starts up. One drawback, as noted above, is USS's very small physical footprint (i.e., Sci-fi city spilling onto Ancient Egypt). I think the park would benefit aesethically from a little more separation between lands. But people that don't like to walk much will see this as a good thing.

USS's opening attraction roster is far more robust than HKDL's. It's environmental/architectural design should be a little below that of HKDL - par for the Universal-Disney course.

Here is a ten minute slideshow giving an October 26th construction update - some AA dinos are already installed in JP: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbX5EkkYlGo"]YouTube - Universal Studios Singapore Update Oct 26th 2009[/ame]

And here is a fuzzy CG tour of the park from the preview center:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EqyIP5MsgM"]YouTube - Universal Studios Singapore - opening 2010[/ame]