Cool Going in May - need advice

Hey guys great posts (esp Barry's pictures)
    My wife and I plan to see HKDL on May 9th 2006 at the end of a 20 day China/Tibet tour. A couple of questions for those that have been to HKDL:

Weather around May 9th?

Which hotel do you reccomend DL or Hollywood?
    View of Ocean/Bay or park?

MY AAA travel agent wanted 800 for a room and tickets - ugh!
    I'll book it myself!

How far from the HK Int Airport?
    Taxi or Train to Airport?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jeff in Orange County

• Watch Your Language

Re: Going in May - need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff In Orange County
    Hey guys great posts (esp Barry's pictures)
    My wife and I plan to see HKDL on May 9th 2006 at the end of a 20 day China/Tibet tour. A couple of questions for those that have been to HKDL:

Weather around May 9th?

Which hotel do you reccomend DL or Hollywood?
    View of Ocean/Bay or park?

MY AAA travel agent wanted 800 for a room and tickets - ugh!
    I'll book it myself!

How far from the HK Int Airport?
    Taxi or Train to Airport?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Jeff in Orange County
    pls check it out at www.hongkongdisneyland.com

they have information on transportation and HKDL resort.

May is quite hot and humid, but not as hot as July/August. Summer is typically a rainy season.

HKDL is not far from HK Int. Airport. Approx 10 mins by train (MTR - Mass Transit Rail), but they are not on the same train line. HK Int Airport on the Airport Express Line and HKDL on its own HKDL Resort Line. To get to HKDL Resort Line, make your connection at Sunny Bay Station (Tung Chung Line).
    Pls note that Airport Express Line don't stop at Sunny Bay Station, so you might have to get off at TsingYi Station, take the Tung Chung Line to get to Sunny Bay.

For transportation...cheaper and faster to get a taxi from airport to Tung Chung MTR (about HK$30) and MTR up one stop to Sunny Bay. Airport Express to Tsing Yi is HK$60.

I would say stay at the Disneyland Hotel with a sea view. I've stayed in both and the sea view is REALLY spectacular. Cool to see fireworks from your room, but you're going to see them at the park anyway and they lose something without the soundtrack! Also, easier to walk to the park form the DLH than Hollywood. Both are great, tho...

Have a great time!

Hi Jeff,

Glad you're enjoying the photos from my trip!

We stayed in the Hollywood and would highly recommend it. The cast members were amazing and the hotel was a fun place to be.

We had what was considered to be a sea view room (our view: http://www.barrybedford.com/hongkong.../target57.html ). It looks over to Discovery Bay and you see the ferries running over to Hong Kong city.

The food was very good in Chef Mickey's with an international - western to asia - buffet so the choice was great if you fancied something other than chinese.

The pool was amazing, photos don't do this justice and we used to spend our mornings lounging around here with a great soundtrack playing in the background!

Unlike the HKDL Hotel, this hotel does not have a gym and you are not permitted to use the facilities in HKDL Hotel (no pool hopping etc).

Also it takes arond 20 minutes to walk to the entrance of the park. Okay if you want a walk! The bus service was excellent and ran every 10 minutes. It would then take 5 minutes to walk from the PTI (Public Transport Interchange) to the gates.

The Disneyland Hotel is beautiful with all the facilities - gym, indoor and outdoor pool etc - however I perferred the Hollywood because it's just different. There is nothing like it in the US Resorts and I felt its a bit of the same old Grand Floridian, DLP Hotel feel about it. Nothing wrong with these but nice to try someting new.

Take a Taxi from the airport!!! It cost us HK$32 and took about 10-15 minutes door to door. We had planned to use the train but it costs the same per person and you have to change a couple of times and then either bus it or walk to your hotel from the PTI - painful with bags!!!

I'm getting excited again just thinking about the trip!

Enjoy!
    BarryB
    Long Time No Speak!! In its day http://www.barrybedford.com was home to over 90 minutes of video and hundreds of photos of Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong Disney Resorts. I'm older now but still love all things Disney and lucky enough to still travel them all. Just don't have the same time to record, edit and share my experiences! BB.

Talking Re: Going in May - need advice

Thanks so much everyone.

I'll keep you posted on plans and a trip report afterwards.

Jeff

• Banned User

I jst got back and had a blast. I know you will enjoy it as well. Hope you are out there for Xmas. We need xmas pics from HKDL!!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

So I take it then nothing Xmas was up when you went TDLFan?

I also *hope* that you had your camera with you too.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    So I take it then nothing Xmas was up when you went TDLFan?

I also *hope* that you had your camera with you too.
    No, there was nothing at the parks for Xmas. No garlands, no tree... nothing! Only some merchandise (most of which can also be found at WDW/DLR)
    And yes... I did take pics of my personal vacation at the park. Many have my partner and I on the shots and he's not much into sharing personal photos online... Gotta get clearance first.

However... I was at WDW today...DAK and D/MGM are already decked out for Xmas. Osborne Lights go on tomorrow.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

TDL to HKDL to WDW...god I wish I could do that.