Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Groundbreaking Ceremony for HKDL Expansion

Here is the official excerpt from HKDL's press room:

Hong Kong (December 13, 2009) – To celebrate a significant step in the expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland, a groundbreaking ceremony was held today at the Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. John Tsang, Financial Secretary of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China, and Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts officiated the ceremony with representatives from the Government, The Walt Disney Company and the Hong Kong community in attendance.

The ceremony represents a major milestone in the Resort’s expansion plan. The expansion will bring the total number of attractions, entertainment and interactive experiences at the Park to more than 100, create 3,700 jobs during the construction phase and 600 new full-time jobs after expansion.
    “Today marks the beginning of another exciting phase for Hong Kong Disneyland,” said Mr Rasulo. "The new themed areas will showcase the best in creativity, technology and story-telling. The planned attractions and rides will position our youngest Disney theme park for future growth and success.”
    Mr. Tsang said that a larger park with more attractions will continue to draw the crowds and provide even more fun and excitement for visitors.

"Together with the magic of an expanded Hong Kong Disneyland, I am confident that Hong Kong will continue to be a premier destination for our friends of all ages from all corners of the globe," he added.
    Expansion work will begin immediately on the primary infrastructure and road work that will support the construction of the three themed areas.

“Our entire team is excited to be part of expanding the magic at Hong Kong Disneyland,” said Andrew Kam, Managing Director of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. “This expansion will enhance Hong Kong’s competitiveness in the international tourism sector and allow us to contribute further to the local economy and labor market.”

Two of the three themed areas, “Grizzly Gulch” and “Mystic Point,” will be exclusive to HKDL for the first five years after their respective openings. The third, “Toy Story Land,” will be exclusive within Asia for the first five years after opening.

Also officiating at the opening ceremony were Rita Lau, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Yvonne Choi, Permanent Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development (Commerce, Industry and Tourism); Joey Lam, Acting Commissioner for Tourism; Jim Hunt, Executive Vice-President/CFO of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts; and Bill Ernest, President and Managing Director, Asia of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

source: Groundbreaking Ceremony Celebrates Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Groundbreaking Ceremony for HKDL Expansion

Thanks for the link

So Grizzly Trail is now named Grizzly Gulch ?
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Minion

here comes the pic of Toy Story Land

Source : Takungpao News

I'm going to remain hopeful for Toy Story Land. This picture isn't as bad as I would expect it to be, and I'm sure they could always expand it to include Midway Mania or a brand new Toy Story dark ride. The other two lands will blow it away regardless though.

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

• Minion

According to another newspapers (takungpao news)

there will be some features (Toy Story Land) unique to Hong Kong, in order to offer some differences from Toy Story Playland at DLP.

for example, there will be a themed restaurant, shops and washroom for Toy Story Land at HKDL.

全球最小的香港迪士尼樂園正式展開首期擴建,華特迪士尼幻想工程創意部資深副總裁林思朗介紹說,三個新增主 題區各有特色,率先落成的是反斗奇兵大本營,雖然法國迪士尼亦有此園區,但本港將會加入獨有元素,如主題餐 廳、精品店和廁所等,這些都是法國方面欠缺的。 林思朗透露,以科技為賣點的迷離莊園,將有十多個不同場景,以古怪氣氛為主,並引入全球獨有的無軌道列車, 遊人坐在列車上不會知道列車行走方向,列車或會突然加速、減速、轉方向或三百六十度旋轉,增加驚喜刺激的感 覺。他說,無軌列車還會配合不同視覺效果,保證讓大眾耳目一新。 至於灰熊山谷,林思朗說,將會以荒廢偏遠淘金小鎮為主題,區內有首創、會向後退的過山車,過山車行走時多處 有噴泉湧出,部分從木屋和小橋等噴出,然後進入礦洞,遇見不同形態的大小灰熊。他表示,新擴建的主題區會提 供更多高速遊戲,配合市場需要。 林思朗還說,每個迪士尼樂園雖然概念一致,但都會有它們獨特的元素,本港的迪士尼樂園將會加入更多中國元素 ,以顯示它的獨特之處。

FINALLY! x

Are there any other pictures of Toy Story Land. Hopefully, the land will be finished in time for the park's 5th anniversary!!

• Minion

Thanks for that pic of Toy Story Land! Are there any more pics? If so, please post them here.

On another note...these HK execs need to stop talking BS such as "100 plus" attractions. Per my count there are 3 big rides (Space, Small World, Jungle Cruise), 2 big shows (Lion King, Golden Mickeys), 3 medium rides (Buzz, Pooh, Autopia), 1 medium film attraction (Philharmagic), 1 small film attraction (Stitch), 1 decent interactive area (Tarzan's Treehouse), plus a few spinner rides, smaller interactive areas, and smaller attractions like Main Street Vehicles, etc. If they said...."this will bring our attraction count to 20"...or even "25" I would think that more credible.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

I was doing a Google search...and I think the model in the picture above is not new...it has been used for some time as a banner by the site "Photosmagiques" (a Disney Paris site). The banner can be viewed at the following link:

Toy Story Playland project tracker | WDSfans

I would still love to see more / higher res pics of the model.
    Down with the Hat

• Minion

I always find it dumb and yet amusing when HKDL execs hawk their "over 100" attractions line. Pretty unsound marketing to me, but maybe things work differently in China (ie., say anything to get them in the door). Clearly there are some major media/reality disconnects - similar to how the 95% of the press has been incorrectly associating total resort acreage with how fulfilling a park may be.

That said, it is good to see expansion officially get underway... hopefully there is some truth to the rumors about accelerated timetables and a 2nd, further expansion (which this little park will still require after this one).

Here is a sampling of HKDL development artwork showing what the park should have been from Day one (including unique castle proposal, expanded Adventureland, dino coaster, etc).

And below is a visual representation of what was announced by Disney in the HKDL press release:

Last edited by RandySavage; 12-13-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Seeing Pride Rock in Adventureland almost brought a tear to my eye, even if it was probably just proposed as a facade for the show. Lion King flume ride...Shanghai Disneyland...Let it be so Iger, Let it be so....

Long Live the Disney Renaissance

The smallest disneyland but the one of the best!

Hi:
    Here is the link of ATV news report:

ATV News - 2009-12-13 Part 2 (78769)

• HKDL fan

Good...hope the construction will finish asap with good quality rides.

anyone else have photos on the ground breaking or upcoming 'lands'.
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post

Thanks for the concept work, Randy...I had not seen this render of Adventureland before...it's both inspiring and saddening. So rich with detail...and that Chinese-style boat on the river plus double-Pirate-ship thingy are drool-worthy. This is the kind of work that makes me a fan of Imagineering...not the Toy Story garbage that's getting built.
    Down with the Hat

This concept art looks great. It's really sad that it didn't get built this way. The castle looks a little bit like Sleeping Beauty's castle in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Thanks for that pic of Toy Story Land! Are there any more pics? If so, please post them here.

On another note...these HK execs need to stop talking BS such as "100 plus" attractions. Per my count there are 3 big rides (Space, Small World, Jungle Cruise), 2 big shows (Lion King, Golden Mickeys), 3 medium rides (Buzz, Pooh, Autopia), 1 medium film attraction (Philharmagic), 1 small film attraction (Stitch), 1 decent interactive area (Tarzan's Treehouse), plus a few spinner rides, smaller interactive areas, and smaller attractions like Main Street Vehicles, etc. If they said...."this will bring our attraction count to 20"...or even "25" I would think that more credible.
    The Disney company considers anything that keeps people entertained for a certain amount of time as an attraction.

Areas like grizzley Gulch is supposedly going to have several interactive areas similar to the already built lands.

When they say 100 attractions they are also considering interactive areas that use up guest time during the day.

Yes i know its wrong but it is nothing new. It has always been done that way in other Disney parks. Remember Cosmic waves in Disneyland? Yep that was counted as an attraction for the re-opening of tomorrowland several years back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast