Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Toy Story Land low Capacity !

A Disneyland Paris website is reporting via its Twitter page some rather concerning details about the new Toy Story Land which will also have an impact on the Hong Kong version too. It involves how many Guest each new ride in the land will get though in one hour. Slinky Dog ZigZag Spin has an hourly capacity of only 874 guests per hour, while RC Racer is even worst with an hourly count of just 600 Guest. Source WDSfans (wdsfans) on Twitter

Hong Kong Disneyland is hoping this new land will not only increase attendance but keep Guest entertained inside the park for longer. But attractions with a low capacity count usually mean longer lines and will Guest appreciate having to queue for so long for what is a carnival ride with some cute Toy Story theming attached. I feel Disney are seriously overlooking the bigger picture here and longer waits are only going to prevent people from spending more money on food and merchandise.

• Cool Yule

Re: Toy Story Land low Capacity !

I don't see it being a huge problem. Sure it will cause lines but its not as if Playland is the only addition to the park. There will be plenty of other attractions to try.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Banned User

But if the Guest see the wait times to long for the three attractions at Toy Story Land and do decided to skip Toy Story Land, than what is the point in building it in the first place?

Toy Story Land is a horrible concept that is going to add very little value to the Guest experience and in some ways will actually end up making the Guest frustrated at having to wait so long to ride something that spins you around for a about a minute and a half. This is not the way to run a themepark !

• Banned User

Hong Kong Disneyland isn't even too crowded in the first place, I don't think a 15 minute line is that bad really. it's just like Dumbo or the Teacups, and those are wildly popular.

• Banned User

Hong Kong Disneyland is not too crowded at the moment, but is the whole purpose for Toy Story Land not to increase attendance. Big Grizzly Mountain and Mystic Point will be able to handle the extra crowds who are turning up to see the new lands. But Toy Story Land and its attractions will unlikely be able hold its own here and with RC Racer only having a capacity of 600 per hour, its going to mean most Guest will end up leaving the park without having the chance to ride it.

• Cool Yule

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    But if the Guest see the wait times to long for the three attractions at Toy Story Land and do decided to skip Toy Story Land, than what is the point in building it in the first place?
    I know this is splitting hairs, but by that same argument some guests might as well skip Mystic Manor if there is a queue.

Toy Story Land is a horrible concept that is going to add very little value to the Guest experience and in some ways will actually end up making the Guest frustrated at having to wait so long to ride something that spins you around for a about a minute and a half. This is not the way to run a themepark !
    Toy Story Land is never going to be the next big thing at Hong Kong Disneyland, its just a few extra attractions to make it seem like you get more for you HK-Buck.

and with RC Racer only having a capacity of 600 per hour, its going to mean most Guest will end up leaving the park without having the chance to ride it.
    Some how I don't think that's a deal breaker, neither for Hong Kong nor any other park in the World.

If Toy Story Land was the only addition to the park then we'd have big problems, but seeings as its a pickle on the burger (some don't mind it, some could do without) then its no problem.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Banned User

I know this is splitting hairs, but by that same argument some guests might as well skip Mystic Manor if there is a queue.
    Not really because Mystic Point is an E Ticket attraction that Guest will not mind waiting for, also chances are the lines will move much faster because it can handle more people each hour and it will also likely offer Fast Pass. Non of which the Toy Story Land rides will be able too !

Toy Story Land is never going to be the next big thing at Hong Kong Disneyland, its just a few extra attractions to make it seem like you get more for you HK-Buck.
    I quite agree but unfortunately its not being billed by the park as just a little something more for your money, its being billed as something Disney and the HK Govement hope you visit the park to see.

Some how I don't think that's a deal breaker, neither for Hong Kong nor any other park in the World.
    I Think that really depends if your visiting the park with kids who love Toy Story or not. You may be able to do without riding RC Racer but not everyone visiting is going to want to give it a miss, especially for attractions that the visitor has probarely repeated on several trips in the past.

• Cool Yule

Not really because Mystic Point is an E Ticket attraction that Guest will not mind waiting for, also chances are the lines will move much faster because it can handle more people each hour and it will also likely offer Fast Pass. Non of which the Toy Story Land rides will be able too !
    But on an attraction level that's apples and oranges. Or E-Ticket vs. C-Ticket.

Both will have lines, FastPass or not. What I was trying to say in the first reply, (admittedly deliberately splitting hairs for the sake of discussion) is you can't argue against building RC Racer just because it will have lines. OK, the per hour is not great but its still added capacity.

If its a walk on on opening day, then you've got a problem.

I quite agree but unfortunately its not being billed by the park as just a little something more for your money, its being billed as something Disney and the HK Govement hope you visit the park to see.
    Of course it is. They're not going to pretend otherwise, they have a vested interest in getting people through turnstiles and stating that Toy Storyland is anything less defeats the object.

But on the flip side its not the sole addition that they are going to promote, just one of three, and the other two are big deals for the park.

I Think that really depends if your visiting the park with kids who love Toy Story or not. You may be able to do without riding RC Racer but not everyone visiting is going to want to give it a miss, especially for attractions that the visitor has probarely repeated on several trips in the past.
    Perhaps this sounds cynical but it could be seen as a good thing. Its a reason to visit again - particularly in one of the quieter seasons.

Walt Disney

• Mouseketeer

There might be a quick service restaurant or something added in the future.

Look towards the bottom (which is really the northern end) of the model shown at the expo.

Note: I found the pic through google and is from dlfreak on another Disney fan site.

It says "Future 200 Seat QSR." The imagineer I talked to had no clue about the land since it wasn't his project, but thanks to Randy we know it means a new restaurant. Keep in mind it is on the border of the land, so it could reasonably be a part of another land from some future expansion.

Otherwise, yeah, the land doesn't have much. Nothing to really draw people back there.
    Last edited by Semiquaver; 12-27-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: wild guess was wildly wrong
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Both will have lines, FastPass or not. What I was trying to say in the first reply, (admittedly deliberately splitting hairs for the sake of discussion) is you can't argue against building RC Racer just because it will have lines. OK, the per hour is not great but its still added capacity.
    But here's the thing you can argue against it because Hong Kong Disneyland is wanting to attract millions of Guest to its gates each year, and by building crap like RC Racer its failing to meet that demand. Providing RC Racer doesn't go down during the day you could if your lucky maybe get though 6000 Guest over a 10 hour period. Its A Small World can acheive that figure in about 2-3 hours. That means the majority of Guest are unlikely to even ride this attraction during a day trip, so does the park need it. Don't get me wrong I see no problem with them wanting to add capacity to this park, but for only 600 Guest an hour is it worth it, when you have 30,000 Guest in the park that day ?

If its a walk on on opening day, then you've got a problem.
    So you don't see a problem with Guest having to wait 1-2 hours for these attractions, where there time could be better spent spending money. If these rides are anything like the ones in A Bugs Land at DCA your ride time will be 1-2 minutes, how are you going to feel waiting in line for so long for it to be over in a matter of seconds. At least with attractions that use Fast Pass you can go off and do something else, but these TSL rides have such a silly capacity rate, that its unlikely any of them will offer FastPass.

Of course it is. They're not going to pretend otherwise, they have a vested interest in getting people through turnstiles and stating that Toy Storyland is anything less defeats the object.
    Unfortunately hyping it up is only going to put people off visiting it even more. How do you think Guest will react standing in line on a hot summers day for up to an hour's wait for a ride that you can find in any Six Flags style themepark. Do you think they are going to leave the park and recomend it to everyone else.

But on the flip side its not the sole addition that they are going to promote, just one of three, and the other two are big deals for the park.
    Sadly TSL is opening first and with its potential issues that I have pointed out, bad word could get out and like before during its opening year, will put people off visiting. I would actually be interested to know from any Hong Kong Members out there what the general sort of impression is in regards to TSL.

Perhaps this sounds cynical but it could be seen as a good thing. Its a reason to visit again - particularly in one of the quieter seasons.
    Or the Guest may just decide that the three TSL rides don't seem worth the wait and decide not to visit again. Because if I have to wait more than 5 minutes to ride Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop, I too would probarely not come back. And this is the main point you may not see a problem with these attractions having low capacity but from a parks perspective its going to be an operations nightmare and will make for a very unpleasent experience for the Guest.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I agree with you, Malin, duckling. If Hong Kong Disneyland is going to expand--as it should--it needs to expand with a major attraction first. It's too bad they didn't build ToyStory Mania instead of all these side dish attractions that don't really do much for the guest experience. It's as though they're afraid to spend any real money very soon on the expansion. By the time they get around to doing what they should, the park's reputation will become worse than it already is.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Semiquaver View Post
    It says "Future 200 Seat QSR." The imagineer I talked to had no clue about the land since it wasn't his project, but we agreed that it probably meant a venue for a 3-D film. Keep in mind it is on the border of the land, so it could reasonably be a part of another land from some future expansion.
    In blueprint jargon, QSR stands for "Quick Service Restaurant" (i.e. a fast food place). Nice find, though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

I live in HK and I am an AP at both Ocean Park and HKDL. The most popular rides in Ocean Park are in the stupidly babyish carnival land with wait times for each ride on average ranging from 1 hour to 3 hours for stuff like a giant swing and other stupid things. I see no problem with TSL if this situation presents itself at HKDL. All TSL is meant to do is to KEEP THE GUESTS INSIDE and GET MORE PEOPLE, It isn't meant to make huge newspaper articles or break records or anything. This is pure business.

Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor are already generating hype in Hong Kong with all local newspapers chinese or english, raving about their high-tech state-of-the art technology. I believe i posted that article in a thread a few months back on MC.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: My sisters and I agree with you, Malin, duckling. If Hong Kong Disneyland is going to expand--as it should--it needs to expand with a major attraction first. It's too bad they didn't build ToyStory Mania instead of all these side dish attractions that don't really do much for the guest experience. It's as though they're afraid to spend any real money very soon on the expansion. By the time they get around to doing what they should, the park's reputation will become worse than it already is.
    I with the witches on this one. I can't believe that they do not want to build a ToyStory Mania along slide these others attractions.

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    In blueprint jargon, QSR stands for "Quick Service Restaurant" (i.e. a fast food place). Nice find, though.
    Thanks for the info! That is one massive quick service restaurant on prime location though. One thing I've noticed on all recent concepts coming out of WDI lately is the immense waste of real estate going on. For parks in WDW it's almost forgivable since they have so much land, but in HKDL it's not. The other big rectangle of land with nothing on it in that photo I posted earlier says "Future Merchandise Shop." More wasted space...
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast