Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Hong Kong Hits and Misses

Howdy MiceChatters,

I've just returned from a two day trip to Hong Kong Disneyland, thus completing my Disney world tour. In the last 12 months, I've visited every Disney park in the world (some more than once). It has been an exciting year indeed.

By now, you've all seen the pictures of the lovely Hong Kong park, so I thought a different type of review was in order. Attached is the start of my Hong Kong Hits and Misses. I'll cover the Attractions, Food, Shopping, Cast Members, Hotels, and some of my general opinions of the park.

I have lots of photos to share and a few from outside the park that I thought you'd enjoy as well.

As has been mentioned by everyone who has seen this park, it is currently quite small. There are only 3 lands (Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and a huge Adventureland) plus a familiar Main Street, U.S.A..

Attractions:
    The park map lists 23 attractions. However, I don't consider the following to be attractions:
    • City Hall (No other park lists City Hall as an attraction)
    • Liki Tikis - a circle of totems that spit water (essentially an interactive fountain)
    • Sleeping Beauty Castle (This is a photo spot at best)
    • Snow White Grotto (A photo spot, but not an attraction)
    • Autopia - It isn't open until next year and construction is just getting under way

That makes 18 attractions:

Rides (or other serious attractions)
    • Jungle River Cruise
    • Mickey's PhilharMagic
    • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    • Cinderella Carousel
    • Mad Hatter Tea Cups
    • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    • Space Mountain
    • Orbitron
    • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Transportation
    • Main Street Railroad
    • Main Street Vehicles
    • Rafts to Tarzan's Treehouse
    • Fantasyland Train Station

Shows
    • Festival of the Lion King
    • The Golden Mickeys
    • Disney on Parade (once daily during the week and twice a day on weekends)
    • "Disney in the Stars" - Fireworks

Experiences
    • The Disneyland Story
    • Tarzan's Treehouse
    • Fantasy Gardens

That's 9 real attractions and 2 shows (Plus parade and Fireworks). While it doesn't sound like much, it just manages to fill a short day in the park if you make a point of doing everything. Don't ruin your trip by making a sightseeing lap around the park first (as I always do in a new park), it only serves to make you realize how tiny the park really is.

There are some knock-outs here. Among them (in order of importance):
    • Space Mountain
      Next to Paris, the best of the Space Mountain rides. While they have skimped on the queue (much of it an ugly outdoor switch back), the special effects on the ride itself are fantastic. This ride tells a vague story that is just enough to really get you involved in the ride in a way that Florida and even Disneyland Ca don't. Exploding galaxies, dodging meteor fragments, excellent star projections, stellar launch and re-entry sequences. This ride has it all. For those wondering, the track is the same layout as Disneyland Ca and uses the same soundtrack.

• Jungle Cruise
      While this ride had one of the shorter lines in the park, it is very much the icon of Adventureland and an advance in this ride in general. Occupying the spot that Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island lie in the US parks, Jungle Cruise interacts with the land in a way that no other Jungle Cruise does. At one point, the boats may have to wait for the Rafts to Tarzan's Treehouse to cross the river. No attempt is made to make you think you are anywhere other than in Adventureland. This works well for a park that must communicate in three languages at once. Currently, the ride is offered in three languages. You simply pick the line for the language you want to hear and are loaded into a boat which will be hosted in that language. Although, the script really isn't needed for this ride. The silly set-ups of the other Jungle Cruise rides are not used here. All of the scenes have a true to life look to them. The real thrill of this ride is its explosive ending. The only Jungle Cruise to have a truly thrilling finish.

• Festival of the Lion King
      Not only the best show in the park, quite possibly the best of Disney's permanent theme park shows. While Lion King is loosely based upon the Animal Kingdom park show, it is significantly different and much improved. With moving stage, fire effects, moving soundtrack, and interesting costumes and props, this show is a not to be missed attraction for this park. The crowd seemed to enjoy it regardless of the language barriers. Pageantry and beautiful sounding music play well in any language.

• The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - While this is essentially the same ride as WDW's Magic Kingdom, it is still a fantastic, and much needed, addition to this park. Much more completely realized than the California version and one of the biggest hits in the park. Although the park was empty on both days of my trip (a Wednesday and a Friday), this ride was the only one that consistently had a wait longer than 30 minutes.

• The Golden Mickeys
      This stage show, based upon the cruise line version, is an entertaining romp that masquerades as an awards show. It is lively, fun, filled with great music, props, and appropriately cheesy awards show style choreography. Although this is the rare attraction that does not play well to an English speaking audience, I still thoroughly enjoyed myself and highly recommend this fun little show.

All other rides and attractions are direct clones of other parks, but all of the rides are completely acceptable. I was not disappointed by the few rides and attractions that they did build for this park.

Please stay tuned for my review of the Parade, fireworks, and what is missing from the Attraction line-up, along with restaurant, hotel, and shopping information.

Click here for Part 2
    Fireworks clips are located here
    Last edited by Dustysage; 10-28-2005 at 05:29 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Hong Kong Hits and Misses

Thanks for the update. Can't wait for the pictures.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    I was going to give you some positive rep ...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Howdy MiceChatters,

[Clip]
    Stunning report, Rusty. Space Mountain's exploding galaxies and menacing meteor fragments sound emersive and surreal. The Jungle Cruise sounds wild. Interacting with the Tarzan's Treehouse rafts would make the safari that much cooler. You forgot to tell us what that thrilling finale is. I, for one, can keep a secret. hee hee

The Lion King show sounds like an innivative visual delight. What people are likely most anxious for is the Pirate Mountain ride to be installed. Since the park is doing so well, do you think it and other attractions might be built ahead of the initial projected schedule? Again, thanks for the vibrant report. Which attraction does that pink car belong to that you are featured with at the beginning of the thread?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-25-2005 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Don't Quote Large Posts, Thanks!

• Banned User

Dusty, that was a great review of HKDL's attraction lineup so far! Kudos! You made some great observations and I totally agree with you on your choice of rides as the best they have going. I am eagerly waiting to hear what you thought of the fireworks (which were a park highlight for me)
    Thank you for your time reporting your experiences... Looking forward to the next installment.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Great review! I've already seen a video of some of the rides (it doesn't do the, justice but meh) And the jungle cruise finale is amazing! I also really like the fireworks, an original!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Awesome review, Dusty! Thanks SO much! You are awesome!!!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    At one point, the boats may have to wait for the Rafts to Tarzan's Treehouse to cross the river. No attempt is made to make you think you are anywhere other than in Adventureland.
    Could you expand upon that more?

So the Jungle Cruise doesn't use the puns at all or not as much? On BarryB's site the Jungle Cruise skipper made some jokes, so that comment was odd.

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks Dusty Hugs

• Minion

ORGOCH: Who in the Heck is Rusty?

ORDDU: Rusty is what they call a 'typo'--for ducklings who use those fiendish contraptions known as computers. But, Dustysage, duckling, my sisters and I are counting on your taking us WITH you the next time you go.

ORWEN: Not me. I'm not going ANYWHERE if they don't have Krispy Kremes.

ORDDU: The main thing is to have our Darling Dustysage back--safe and sound and in the loving arms of Fishbulb and everyone else who's had the opportunity for a hug...which reminds me; where's mine?

• Still wants to be a cat!

Waiting patiently for Chapter 2!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Could you expand upon that more?

So the Jungle Cruise doesn't use the puns at all or not as much?
    I understood where Dustysage is coming from with that comment... What he meant is that by exposing the Jungle Cruise boats to the other elements of Adventureland, it does take away from the storyline of "being in some jungle somewhere away from here..." In other words...a skipper can not say "We are now embarking into the jungles of the far east..." when you have to yield to the Tarzan Treehouse rafts to cross the river... Get this at all?

• Watch Your Language

Looking forward to 2nd part of your report....

by the way, i was also in the park last wednesday...

• Banned User

Yeah yeah.. we know you live in Hong Kong.. jada jada...
    I am going to WDW tomorrow and next month I will be at TDR next week on the 3rd, HKDL on the 8th and DLRP on the 30th. So STOP bragging. It's not becoming.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Yeah yeah.. we know you live in Hong Kong.. jada jada...
    I am going to WDW tomorrow and next month I will be at TDR next week on the 3rd, HKDL on the 8th and DLRP on the 30th. So STOP bragging. It's not becoming.
    i didn't brag..but u just did.

at least, I didn't mention how many times i have been TDR,DLP, DL, WDW...LOL

by the way, I also live in Canada!!!

i am not afraid of u bullying me!!!
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 10-25-2005 at 08:45 PM.

• Banned User

By golly.. he ^^^actually GOT my sarcasm... But if you are Canadien... how come your location is Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast