Thread: Hotel advice??

Question Hotel advice??

Hi Micechatters! We had a wonderful trip to Tokyo Disney last year - thanks to the Micechat forums - and we now want to try to do HDKL. There is a 3/2 special package from Guam for airfare/hotel at less than 700 during May and June......I would love some advice on the hotel choices!

We can choose from Royal Pacific, Rosedale on the Park, Regal Kowloon and Regal Hong Kong.....are any of these familiar to any micechatters??

I have looked them all up as far as MTR access and such, but I'm having trouble finding maps or much info on proximity to HKDL or other attractions.

Thanks in advance for your tips!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Re: Hotel advice??

Hi, I think this website will really answer your needs as it did to my family and I when we were in the process to moving to HK:

Discover Hong Kong - Official Travel Guide from the Hong Kong Tourism Board

The website basically lists almost every major attraction/stuff to do in Hong Kong, and provides a map and instructions on how to get to each attraction.

Out of the hotels given, Regal Hong Kong stands out to me personally because relatives of mine were staying at the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

MTR access from this hotel to HKDL should be simple as its located in Causeway Bay. For the least complicated method to traveling to HKDL via MTR without getting lost would be to take an MTR to Central and then take the MTR from IFC (buy a specific HKDL MTR ticket) to HKDL. A much more in-depth guide is available at the HKDL website:

Transportation

There are many other attractions to see, you might have heard of 'Ocean Park', a marine-themed theme park that is more popular than HKDL.

Hope this helped!

Fantastic! Thanks so much HKDL......it's definitely harder to find info for HK than for Tokyo....I really appreciate the link!

Royal Pacific is in Tsim Sha Tsui and it is also very good location. It is right on Canton Road where all the shops are. It is also convenient for Star Ferry, Cultural Centre...etc. Plenty of good restaurants in the area. Not very near MTR though.

Thanks Asa - I was reading some tripadvisor.com reviews of that one and the Regal Kowloon today, most of the reviewers said it was about a 10-15 min walk from either one to the TST station....it does sound like there is a lot more to do in that area than there would be in Causeway Bay (as I am not a shopper)....

Quote Originally Posted by rkj1969 View Post
    Thanks Asa - I was reading some tripadvisor.com reviews of that one and the Regal Kowloon today, most of the reviewers said it was about a 10-15 min walk from either one to the TST station....it does sound like there is a lot more to do in that area than there would be in Causeway Bay (as I am not a shopper)....
    If you are not a shopper then you probably won't enjoy Causeway Bay, either. It is full of shoppers everyday. On Sunday, there are lots of Indonesian maids enjoying their day off there.

Where you want to stay really depends on what you want to see and do, but you haven't specified.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    If you are not a shopper then you probably won't enjoy Causeway Bay, either. It is full of shoppers everyday. On Sunday, there are lots of Indonesian maids enjoying their day off there.

right - that's why I said I don't want to stay there....

Where you want to stay really depends on what you want to see and do, but you haven't specified.
    I think I'm getting a handle on things now - I appreciate the references. I am calling the travel agent today to get either Royal Pacific or Regal Kowloon - as most everything that we want to do (besides Disney) is over on that island!

Thanks again! I'll post a trip report when we return to try and help out other travellers!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by rkj1969 View Post
    READ before booking the Regal Kowloon!!!! It is a nice hotel and OK location about 10 mins way from the red line of the MTR. However, the hotel is close to what I would consider a small "red light" district, with adult stores nearby, and located next to a park where "ladies of the night" do walk at night and pester western men for sex. I would only recommend that area if you are traveling without very small children. Other than that, the Regal Kowloon is a reputable hotel and the location is convenient. The hotel itself is OK and the rooms were recently refurbished. It's conveniently located (about 5 mins walk) to Victoria harbor. Once on the river front, you can walk to the "walk of fame" area by the harbor and enjoy the spectacular views of the city at night, as well as the Symphony of lights at 8pm over the city. Shopping galore in that area just steps away from the hotel. There are many 7-11 convenience stores close to it, a Starbucks cafe, Outback steakhouse, and Sticky Fingers restaurants across the street. Once you walk to the MTR, you have to options to get to HKDL: 1) take the purple line from East Tsim Sha Tsui station, then connect to the orange line at Nam Cheong station. Change from the Orange line to the HKDL Line at Sunny bay station. The trip takes about 30 mins. Or 2) take the red line from Tsim Sha Tsui to Lai King station, then change to the orange line, and change again at Sunny Bay to the DL line. That takes about 40 mins because the red line makes more stops than the purple line. (NOTE: East Tsim Sha Tsui and Tsim Sha Tsui are TWO DIFFERENT stations located near the Regal Kowloon hotel, so choose wisely. You can find more info and system maps here: MTR

Also, from the Tsim Sha Tsui stations, you can go to just about anywhere in Hong Kong island and Lantau and enjoy the many other tourist areas of interest besides HKDL.
    Causeway bay however, in relation to HKDL, takes a little longer to get to. You have to take the MTR and then change at Central Station.. but be advised, that you have to walk about 10 minutes in the underground tunnel to get on the MTR that goes towards HKDL and the HKG International Airport.

So it would be wise to stay in the Tsim Sha Tsui area, and use the MTR to get around town, and I even recommend taking some trips from Kowloon to HK Island on the Star Ferry.

Once you arrive in HKG Airport, you will see many tourist brochure stands on the way to Customs and in the Baggage Claim areas. Do yourself a favor and collect some of these very handy and informative FREE tourist guides, as they are very useful and contain lots of information about what to do, see and how to move around town efficiently. They will also provide information on what's currently happening around town... such as festivals and events etc etc.

So yes, BOOK that trip and go to Hong Kong.. DL is a perk but honestly? The city itself is one of the most vibrant "must see" metropolis in the World. And do not miss the view from Victoria's Peak. Breathtaking.

Have fun and HAFA ADAI!! Can't wait to come to Tumon bay's Hilton (my fav hotel on your neck of the woods) and frolic in the Sun.

Hafa adai and thanks for all the info TDLFAN....AGAIN, I should say - as you were my number 1 expert for the Tokyo Disney trip as well! The water was a beautiful 79 degrees yesterday on our scuba dive at Gun Beach (just down from the Hilton) - so come on over and enjoy!!

I won't worry too much about the red light district - as my daughter is 18 now, but that's a good warning that I haven't seen in the tripadvisor reviews!

I definitely appreciate the specifics on the MTR directions, sometimes maps can seem deceptively simple - but it sounds like the trip will be as easy as it looks this time!

Happy to know there are no Shinjuku-type Stations for us to get lost in (for hours)!

We definitely plan to ride the ferry over at least a couple of times - Hong Kong Park is on our list, and the Peak depending on weather - though I have read reviews that say it has gotten terribly touristy.

We'll visit the Po Lin monastary on Lantau, though probably on a separate day from Disney because I'd hate to feel rushed through either one.

The the night markets and harbor light show will be so convenient to visit from our TST hotel base that they'll easily fit in after our day trips!

We are SO excited!! if this trip goes even half as well as our Tokyo trip, it will be an incredible adventure!!

Si'yuus Maase!

• Banned User

It should be a fun trip and I am just as excited for you. HKDL in fact, may be the only disappointment because it is still a very very very small park, and not quite as mind blowing as a trip to TDR in Tokyo. Still, you will have a fun time there.

Like I said before.. the TST area is probably the best area to stay in relation to convenience. You will not be disappointed, even if the area behind the Regal Kowloon is ...well, questionable. But I never felt unsafe, so you should be OK. Also, FYI.. there is a supermarket right behind the Regal Kowloon hotel.. in case you need something close and convenient to buy munchies, beverages or food.

As for the Po Lin monastery. I believe they sell a combo train ticket that allows you to access HKDL and the last station of the orange MTR train (located a mile away from the airport), which is next to the outlet mall and cable gondolas that travel up the mountain and to the monastery. I highly recommend the gondola ride up the mountain for a breath taking 20 mins trip. But if you are afraid of heights, then take the bus to reach the monastery.

Finally.. the Peak. yes, it is touristy and so on.. but trust me, the view from up there is worth the trip. may I suggest taking the Peak Tram one way, and then riding back on the city by bus. or vice-versa. The trip on the bus is fun, especially if you are sitting on the upper deck, as the bus travels in tight road lanes and takes tight turns very close to the edge of huge mountain dropoffs...giving you a thrilling trip that can be white-knuckles at time.

Also, you may want to consider visiting Ocean park, just so that you can appreciate your DL parks much more. If you go to Stanley market (a popular spot for shopping) be advised... I find this place no longer offer great deals so I would not go there to shop, but the trip there takes you close to Repulse bay Beach area, which is a beautiful spot and where a lot of affluent folks live in gorgeous mansions and high rise condos.

Night Markets.. well there is one close to the Regal Kowloon (one red-line train stop away from Tsim Sha Tsui, at Jordan Station). Walk west a block away from Jordan Station and Nathan Road, and you will find it.

It should be a fun trip for you and I hope you enjoy it to the fullest. As for me, not sure when I will get back to Guam or the marianas. But looking forward to visiting again soon and having my huge bowl of spaghetti at Capprisiosa. Yum.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-21-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    It should be a fun trip and I am just as excited for you. HKDL in fact, may be the only disappointment because it is still a very very very small park, and not quite as mind blowing as a trip to TDR in Tokyo. Still, you will have a fun time there.
    <snip>
    It should be a fun trip for you and I hope you enjoy it to the fullest. As for me, not sure when I will get back to Guam or the marianas. But looking forward to visiting again soon and having my huge bowl of spaghetti at Capprisiosa. Yum.
    I refuse to be disappointed in anything Disney - LOL! I do understand it's no TDR, so I'm going in with low expectations.....but I just love the mouse! Of course we're terribly excited about the whole adventure - HKDL was just what pushed Hong Kong to the top of the list over all our other choices....

And you HAVE to try Vitale's next time you come to Guam (also in Tumon Bay, in the shopping center across from DFS on the second floor) - they've been here forever and I promise it's the best, most authentic Italian spaghetti on the island!!! Less expensive and less crowded than the Cap as well - I think people forget to look up and see it.....

Thanks again for all the help with our trip planning! It's almost time to start our one month countdown to May 28!!

• Banned User

Thanks for the tip! I will have to check that place out next time I come down to Guam!