Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Future Disney CM and WDI

Photo TR: HKDL Sep'09

In September last year, I made the trip to Hong Kong in search of a Disney fix whilst I awaited returning to California.

Here's what I have to show for it:-

Walking from HKDL's Hollywood Hotel to HKDL.

Self explainatory.

Water! It's so hot in Honkers.

More water... and statues.

In fact, I think these great character statues are in place of the character busts one would normally find in the plaza near Sleeping Beauty Castle.

It takes a while to get used to looking at HK$ values.

Jack.

All decked out for Halloween.

No expense spared.

Despite being the smallest global Disney property, the detail and themeing far outways anything remotely similar in Australia.

This decoration isnt so crash hot -- just a bit tacky.

Following in Movieworld's footsteps... Park open. Rides Shut. Not the best concept, made worse by the swealtering heat.

Long lines of sweaty tourists waiting for meet'n'greet photos. Why doesnt HKDL have PhotoPass!?!

Main street pavers. Thank god actually, bitumin would have made it much hotter!

Where's the statue of Walt and Mickey?

Wonder if I actually thought I was taking this photo straight!?

Adventureland. Pity I missed seeing this as Pirate Island.

So, there's plenty of nice themeing... and not much else.

This is good.

Takes up alot of prime real estate. The queue/waiting areas are vast, but not really confined to lines. Different culture, but explains why Asian tourists in Aussie themeparks are not accustomed to waiting.

Showtime.

More queues for little attractions. I dare say Tarzan's Treehouse is only in the centre of the Jungle Cruise so that it forces people to actually ride the Rafts, otherwise it'd propably be a quiet attraction.

Jungle Cruise. Very nice themeing in this ride, the differences to Disneyland are also nice.

Kraken!

Another show. Wonder if this is any better on the cruise ships?

In fact, HKDL has a few good shows, in place of more rides, but it makes for a nice change of pace. Seemed to be more fitting of the culture here too.

"You've got a friend in me"... whilst I'm on the Toy Story topic... at least the 3D double feature is finally coming to cinemas in Australia!

I don't have much to compare this scene to until I finally get a trip to Walt Disney World.

Pyro!

My first Small World experience since Disneyland in '97 - seeing as it was closed at DL in November 2008 for the Holiday refit.

"Small" Batman Building -- since everyone was still TDK crazy.

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Purple Koala?

Like castle, like hedge.

Time for a Parade.

This has nothing on Parade of Dreams.

The band was the best part...

...and always ready for photos!

This balloon has seen better days. Dirty much.

I blame Briberry for my latest Alice/Hatter obsession. Although Hatter was noticably absent from HKDL. And despite trekking from Oz to LA twice in 2yrs, I've still only glimpsed them at DL before the Christmas Fantasy Parade.

One of the better floats.

Float reminiscent of POD?

Space Mountain.

Ghost Galaxy. The Halloween themeing was nicely done, simple yet effective. This concept should be adopted on rides in Australia!

Autopia.

This whole area of the park is well kept.

Just like Disneyland. Always fun!

A good excuse to get out of the sun -- all the attractions here are covered/shaded.

Spinning.

Motion blur.

For the Fantasia fan in me.

Cant miss the Castle photo.

All lit up for Halloween.

Ready for another parade.

Hello Jack. HKDL's Glow In The Dark Parade.

better than the daytime parade.

Not quite Murphy...

but the closest thing HKDL has to offer. Making me wait until NYE @ Disneyland.

"Mr. Crocodile, do you like codfish?" -- wrong show again.

Back to the band again.

What'd I say about photos...

Pirates. Always a great way to finish.

Ready for some fireworks.

For the BTS junkies. Setting up for the fireworks display.

CM's on the castle setting fireworks.

It's starting...

my first Disney fireworks show since '97, seeing as winds cancelled the LA show during my 2008 visit.

A good light show...

... the soundtrack unfortunately, wasnt so great.

Red.

KABOOM!

All lit up.

Looking just as good at night time.

Good night HKDL.

So we fronted up for a second day at HKDL, not that you need one, but it was free with the hotel booking so why not. How cool is the Jack costume.

It's just not the same when its not in english.

Posers.

Everyone else was doin' it.

Stitch was cool, but Crush at DCA was better. Interestingly enough, Stitch did pick me out of the crowd and gave me the third degree about why I had yet to propose to my gf. Little did he know...

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• Minion

Re: Photo TR: HKDL Sep'09

interesting. it looks exactly like DLR. Love Jack. it's like they have more entertainment then rides.
    but you make it seem like Australia is boring.

• De la Terre la Luke

Great TR, love the pics!

I LOVE how they did the landscaping for Autopia at HKDL! It looks far more 'futuristic' than it does in CA or FL. *envious*

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Great trip report!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Cars Land Rocks!

Love the trip report ... Great photos! I believe I'll be going to China in October, I'd love to make another trip to Hong Kong Disneyland, but not sure if it will work out for that trip. Thanks for posting.

• You have much to learn...

Great photos- I sure wish DL & WDW would get more into the Nightmare Before Christmas decorations at their parks.

My friend went to Hong Kong last month and liked it- but he probably would have killed to be there for the Halloween stuff

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    but you make it seem like Australia is boring.
    Im jaded. My international travels have shown me true magic (and quality!). Australian parks are small, and the companies are cash cows, not in the business for the happiness of guests. Its sad and regretable, but makes the magic of travelling and the journey just to get to Disneyland all the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiko View Post
    I LOVE how they did the landscaping for Autopia at HKDL! It looks far more 'futuristic' than it does in CA or FL. *envious*
    It's fantastic. One of my favourite parts in all the parks I've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    My friend went to Hong Kong last month and liked it- but he probably would have killed to be there for the Halloween stuff
    I was glad I was there for an "occasion" just to see it dressed up a bit, and the extra parades/entertainment.

1. Disneyland 1997;
    2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

• former CM

Thank you!

The photo of the daytime parade band (with the trombone player in front) was my favorite.

• Banned User

I have to say.. the photos in the trip report are very nice but seems to me the holiday at HKDL was not all "that" since most all captions to the photos are negative slams on what HKDL has to offer. Then I had to laugh at the Beauty and the beast reference to WDW.. Trust me Mr. Rya86n when i tell you... you will appreciate HKDL's more meticulous attention to details and higher show budgets when the day comes for you to see how pathetic most shows and theming is at WDW, especially their puny B&B show at the Studios park. But you having been to DL in CA first, I can see why you were not all that thrilled since the original DL is still a much better experience.
    All in all, HKDL I feel is a very good start for Disney in China and it should get better and better. Be glad you enjoyed the halloween event at regular prices because at WDW, you would have had to pay an extra ticket to enjoy their halloween event, which I have always ranted about.
    Maybe next time you find yourself in northeastern Asia, you should pay Tokyo Disney Resort a visit and experience disney at it's very best.

• Banned User

Oh one more thing.. you asked why they don't have Photopass at HKDL. I asked the same question, even though I am not a fan of disney charging folks for so called "professional" photos taken by not so professional photographers.
    But I was told that Photopass in the US parks (DLR/WDW) was administered and operated by a separate company under contract by disney to provide the services in the park. Such company does not operate at HK. That is what i have heard and I am not sure if that is correct since the photo op service is also offered in Paris and Tokyo similarly to the way being administered in HK.

Someone knowledgeable about this correct me?

• MiceChat Moderator

The photography at Universal parks is outsourced -- and that is terrible far beyond that of any Disney park I have seen.

TDLFAN, I plan on getting to TDL and would have liked to whilst in the region, but financially that will have to wait for another time. At the time of visiting HKDL, i was also furiously saving to ensure I could end up at DLR for NYE.

As I said earlier, I am jaded. I have been lucky with travelling and theme parks around the world. I have also worked in what Australia has to offer. My comments are alwasy in comparison to what I know, have experienced and hope to experience.

1. Disneyland 1997;

Wow, I loved your trip report, I live in So Cal so HKDL seems so exotic and far away!

• TheDisneyMagic

Ahh was looking forward to seeing the photos but it looks like the account has run out of bandwidth.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyMagic View Post
    Ahh was looking forward to seeing the photos but it looks like the account has run out of bandwidth.
    indeed it has; got the email this afternoon. surprising how quickly 10GB disappears! sorry about that. should be back up on 20th, unless I rehost elsewhere between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobucket
    Your images and videos have not been deleted but will be reactivated on the 20th of the month, when your bandwidth usage resets to zero.
    Might have to settle with my DLR TR until then.

1. Disneyland 1997;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast