• someday itll be a resort.

did disney really get the bumper deal in 1999?

hey just realised the HK government keeps mentioning the amount of money it had spent in the project yet a large part of that investment was to do with government land and rail and other utilities which are usually available in other countries and talking about the rail was it required? isnt that quite SHORT-SIGHTED a number of buses would have suffice and the train should have only been brought in when visitor numbers to require mass transit, i think that would have reduced the cost signigficantly and when it comes to the resort itself the hk gov have invested 1.8 bill(us) and disney had invest 325 mill but a additional 690mill over the next 5 years? which would make just over a billion i dont think hk got too bad a deal considering they wanted disney in hk

what do u guys think?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: did disney really get the bumper deal in 1999?

and talking about the rail was it required? isnt that quite SHORT-SIGHTED a number of buses would have suffice and the train should have only been brought in when visitor numbers to require mass transit,
    Disney would of never agreed to the park without it having access to and from using the MTR. This was always a bargaining chip. And will be the same for Shanghai.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

talking about the rail was it required? isnt that quite SHORT-SIGHTED a number of buses would have suffice and the train should have only been brought in when visitor numbers to require mass transit,
    No, you have it backwards. Short sighted would have been to have NO TRAIN. They planned for the long-term. Will buses work? No. The traffic in China in horrendous. Having a new, clean, safe & efficient mass-transit system in place from the beginning was smart intelligent design by Disney. So was the proper amount of hotel rooms, the proximity to the airport and the ferry station. In fact, the only thing I think Disney didn't get perfect on the resort was the theme park itself.

The buses in WDW have become an epidemic. The number of buses required to equal the capacity of the train would be absurd.

Besides, who doesn't love a good train and quick efficient mass-transit? I loved the Metro in Shanghai, I'm sure the one in Hong Kong is just as awesome.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The MTR in Hong Kong is by far the easiest transportation system I've ever used. Its also a great introduction to the park. The train from Sunny Bay to Hong Kong Disneyland is full of magical Disney detail. Just thinking about it makes me want to return to Hong Kong. Maybe next year perhaps.

Ocean Park has the bus system and its a bit of a nightmare. You need to take the bus from a particular MTR station. Even that park knows the true vaule of the MTR and are in the process of building a line to and from the park. The fact Hong Kong Disneyland is one step ahead on its nearest competitor and already has the MTR in place is enough to realise it was right to have access to the MTR from day one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

And also not to forget that the majority of HKDL's patrons use the MTR as transportation...

• someday itll be a resort.

hmmmmm....all good arguments here

i personally dont use the mtr so i didnt know most arrive by train to the resort, but my point really is the park was likely limited in size because of finance on both sides so is tere a poin in having a rail line to a park that isnt really tht popular? that money would have been better spent on the park not on other things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLR... View Post

i personally dont use the mtr so i didnt know most arrive by train to the resort, but my point really is the park was likely limited in size because of finance on both sides so is tere a poin in having a rail line to a park that isnt really tht popular? that money would have been better spent on the park not on other things...
    I think HKDL is a very well balanced resort for a city that is very limited in space (dont forget its built on reclaimed land). There is enough space for a third hotel, downtown Disney, and quite some land left for further expansion of the park itself. And if you count in the unused large chunk of land next to it, the possibilities are endless. There is enough space for a DisneySEA in that area!

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLR... View Post

In my opinion, the mtr station actually helps saving land in the resort. The parking lot of HKDL is significantly smaller than all other Disney Park. Originally, they worried that the lot would not be big enough and prepared an extra one in Sunny Bay, however it has never been used. This is because most of the visitors use mtr as transportation.

Moreover, according to government document, the cost of building the resort line was born by mtr corporation, a partly government owned company, but not the government nor disney. Therefore it should not affect HKDL's capital.