Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An Idealist's Vision of HKDL

For fun, I’ve been working on something I call the Integrated Parks Project (IPP) to show – via conceptual site plans – my vision for an ideal collection of Disney theme parks around the globe. ‘Integrated’ is the key word, as the parks are filled out to compliment sister parks rather than overlap/repeat content.

You can view my works for WDW here:
    An Idealist's Vision of Walt Disney World

Sometimes I’ll draw a site plan for fun that is not part of the IPP (so I’m not concerned about uniqueness or overlap), such as this non-specific all-star Kingdom:

Now, on to Hong Kong.

This first (of two) concept plans I drew for HKDL is not part of the IPP in that the heart of the park is what actually exists in Hong Kong (with my additions along the extremities). The second (which I will post later) is the integrated version and is re-designed from the inside out.

DESIGNER’S NOTES

--The major Main Street addition is Haunted Mansion, in the original Harper Goff Victorian/Main Street-style. While I understand it is fairly redundant to have this attraction in the same park as its cousin, Mystic Manor, I’ve had a hankering to add the Goff mansion to one of my parks, and, for now, it will be this non-integrated HKDL.

--Adventureland, Frontierland and Fantasyland all have sub-lands. El Dorado is based on the fabled city and hosts an original Indiana Jones Adventure and a family coaster featuring animatronic toucans, macaws and other rainforest animals. Mystic Point, the other adventure-sub-land, is exactly as is being built (which in reality is perplexedly separated from the rest of Adventureland).

--Frontierland consists of two sections: Grizzly Trail – the under-construction Rocky Mountain mining settlement – and Grand Mesa, which explores the Southwest mythos of natural arches, cowboys, Indians & banditos. It hosts the Western River Expedition flume and a stunt amphitheatre.

--The next sub-land is that of Fantasyland. We leave behind the Disney characters and find a more high-fantasy adventure experience – with an indoor PotC-style boat ride, an E-ticket coaster and a family dark ride.

--Vulcania is built within a caldera similar to that of DisneySea, but there is not a large volcano here (not worth competing with the real mountains behind the park). Lava Cruisers is a test-track experience like JttCotE, but with original scenes/story. Around the World in 80 Days is a suspended (Peter Pan) family dark ride.

--Tomorrowland adds an AA revue show and Star Tours simulator.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Re: An Idealist's Vision of HKDL

Great job Randy! I couldn't be any happier to give TSL the boot it deserves to let Indy come in. This woulda been the perfect HKDl if it wasn't for Eisner's 'small parks earn more $' philosophy.

In reference to the original expansion plan I still think that Mystic Point shouldn't be in between Grizzly and TSL because the transition isn't smooth enough. You exit Adventureland, enter a Frontier themed-land and then go back into an 'extension' of Adventureland and then are thrust into the horrid TSL.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    For fun, I’ve been working on something I call the Integrated Parks Project (IPP) to show – via conceptual site plans – my vision for an ideal collection of Disney theme parks around the globe. ‘Integrated’ is the key word, as the parks are filled out to compliment sister parks rather than overlap/repeat content.

You can view my works for WDW here:
    An Idealist's Vision of Walt Disney World

Sometimes I’ll draw a site plan for fun that is not part of the IPP (so I’m not concerned about uniqueness or overlap), such as this non-specific all-star Kingdom:

Now, on to Hong Kong.

This first (of two) concept plans I drew for HKDL is not part of the IPP in that the heart of the park is what actually exists in Hong Kong (with my additions along the extremities). The second (which I will post later) is the integrated version and is re-designed from the inside out.

DESIGNER’S NOTES

--The major Main Street addition is Haunted Mansion, in the original Harper Goff Victorian/Main Street-style. While I understand it is fairly redundant to have this attraction in the same park as its cousin, Mystic Manor, I’ve had a hankering to add the Goff mansion to one of my parks, and, for now, it will be this non-integrated HKDL.

--Adventureland, Frontierland and Fantasyland all have sub-lands. El Dorado is based on the fabled city and hosts an original Indiana Jones Adventure and a family coaster featuring animatronic toucans, macaws and other rainforest animals. Mystic Point, the other adventure-sub-land, is exactly as is being built (which in reality is perplexedly separated from the rest of Adventureland).

--Frontierland consists of two sections: Grizzly Trail – the under-construction Rocky Mountain mining settlement – and Grand Mesa, which explores the Southwest mythos of natural arches, cowboys, Indians & banditos. It hosts the Western River Expedition flume and a stunt amphitheatre.

--The next sub-land is that of Fantasyland. We leave behind the Disney characters and find a more high-fantasy adventure experience – with an indoor PotC-style boat ride, an E-ticket coaster and a family dark ride.

--Vulcania is built within a caldera similar to that of DisneySea, but there is not a large volcano here (not worth competing with the real mountains behind the park). Lava Cruisers is a test-track experience like JttCotE, but with original scenes/story. Around the World in 80 Days is a suspended (Peter Pan) family dark ride.

--Tomorrowland adds an AA revue show and Star Tours simulator.
    Do you mean, Plectu's Galatic Musical Revue? Also, is everything in the current TL at HKDL staying?

Timekeeper

• Minion

The HKDL layout is very practical and well thought out.

Some alternatives to the Dark Kingdom area are either a Fantasy Forest such as at the MK, except with real rides instead of meet n greets, or simply building Beastlike Kingdomme as intended for Animal Kingdom.

In an idealized universe, I would keep your layout but instead of a futuristic Tomorrowland I would have a Vernian look like Discoveryland in Paris. So...Earth to Moon instead of Space Mountain, some other dark ride in place of Buzz (I'd love to see a "Chinese" version of Journey into Imagination with appropriate changes in the appearances of both Figment and Dreamfinder), and some other simulator ride in place of Star Tours (perhaps "Journey Through Time" or something like that). Having a Vernian look would also tie into Vulcania next door.
    Down with the Hat

Tasman, I like your ideas for HK & Tokyo... do you ever put them to paper?

• Minion

Tasman, I like your ideas for HK & Tokyo... do you ever put them to paper?
    Just scribbles on pieces of paper ... haven't got the skill that you have in that regard, also this is a busy time in my life...

HKDL is such a lost opportunity, what with that fantastic location...the park looks nice enough but the Imagineers could have done so much more if given free reign. I wonder what the second gate would be?...the site is perfect for a DisneySea, even more so than Tokyo's, though I doubt that kind of money would ever be spent here. I definitely look forward to visiting Hong Kong some time in the future...hopefully by that time the first park is fleshed out, plus / minus that second gate. First up Tokyo though, perhaps next year...we'll see...
    Down with the Hat

Edit: concepts under revision.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 07-18-2010 at 12:41 AM.

• Not here to help

The second gate in Paris is WDS
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Why the Century III name for the "real world techno-futurism" area? That name signified the third American century.

^ Here it represents a vision of Hong Kong's third century (after Treaty of Nanking).

• Dreamer

Wow, just wow.

My only issue is the transition/space between Mythic City and Shah's Realm. You can't really make a suitable transition, except if you put the Realm on a separate island. Think of Mythic City as the harbor that leads way to the realms of dreams.

Otherwise, brilliant idea. =D

Spectacular, just, spectacular. This is a park that I would do anything to visit. I especially love the idea of taking Horizons' concept and expanding it into an entire land.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    My only issue is the transition/space between Mythic City and Shah's Realm. You can't really make a suitable transition, except if you put the Realm on a separate island.
    I see what you're saying. But there is a pretty wide area of landscaping between the two areas. I envision it as a transition from an ordered city park (Central/Prospect) to wilder, mature greenery at the base of the fortress and rolling terrain (elevation-wise), with an aspect similar to Belvedere Castle in Central Park.

The equivalent to the hub separating victorian American MSUSA from European medieval Fantasyland.

• Minion

Great job as always...

Let's hope that the real second gate turns out to be the amazing park that the first gate should have been...

For me I would be sufficiently content if they built either the version of DisneySea originally planned for Long Beach or something similar to the early concept for Tokyo seen in the new "Imagineering" book. I like the idea of another DisneySea because the location is so perfect for one...I doubt Disney will ever have such an incredible seaside location again. I lean towards to Long Beach version because it is more unique, featuring marine exhibits and water activities to go along with more traditional theme park elements, plus serving as a base for potential Disney cruise line for Asia (all these were intended elements of the Long Beach version). Of course, with sufficient commitment, a brand new concept with wow factor like the one you propose, would be quite welcome...
    Down with the Hat

• Dreamer

The equivalent to the hub separating victorian American MSUSA from European medieval Fantasyland.
    It'd be quite a challenge making the transition from a temperate city park to a rocky desert area, but I see where you were going with this after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast