• someday itll be a resort.

the original expansion plans???

hey there i found the original expansion plans that had been planned acording to few on skyscrapercity forums, as disney had capital to splash 8bill hkd in but hkgov wanted to remain in majority power here are the images

[IMG]file:///Users/moesaccount2/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/moesaccount2/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/moesaccount2/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/moesaccount2/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/moesaccount2/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/moesaccount2/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

• Cool Yule

Re: the original expansion plans???

Something doesn't seem quite right to me...

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• De la Terre à la Luke

I don't understand, which are you claiming is the original expansion plan? Because the additions on the largest picture were Imagineered by a fan.

• Minion

^ Yep. I drew that second "plan" last summer when the official expansion site plan first came out. Someone at skyscrapercity may have found it and mistaken it for something official.

• Cool Yule

The inclusion of Journey is what tipped me off. No offence to you Randy for the plan - its a great idea, but it won't be happening in HKDL, well not in the park we have now any ways.

Just looking back at that image, the inclusion of WRE should have also set the ol' alarm bells ringing.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Very interesting plans, but I doubt them since Journey to the Centre of the Earth doesn't really fit the theme of Tomorrowland or Fantasyland.

By the way is there any concept art about HKDL including a Frontierland? I think I read somewhere that a Frontierland was planned.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    By the way is there any concept art about HKDL including a Frontierland? I think I read somewhere that a Frontierland was planned.
    HKDL underwent an interesting development process, glimpses of which can be seen in early press releases and concept paintings & site plans (as found in hard-to-find books like "The Making of HKDL"). Some early iterations of the park were even smaller than what was actually built, with only 3-lands - putting things like a Star Wars stunt show and Indy coaster (from Paris) right next to each other in an Adventureland.

The biggest version planned (that I've seen) was revealed in the early press release:

"The Park’s creative concept expands on Disney’s more than 50 years of designing theme parks and resorts around the world. Hong Kong Disneyland will transport guests into a world of imagination, fantasy and adventure. It is envisioned that guests entering the Park will immediately take a step back in time to Main Street USA which will capture the excitement, friendliness and energy of a community gathering place.

Designed after an old-fashioned small town, Main Street USA will include shops and restaurants and serve as the stage for live entertainment and parades as well as special events celebrating the local culture. The central icon of the Park is a fanciful castle soaring majestically in the air.

Sleeping Beauty Castle will be the signature element of the Park, evoking a feeling of fantasy and imagination. Sleeping Beauty Castle is to be the gateway to Fantasyland. Here guests will find the magical home of their favorite Disney stories. In Fantasyland guests can fly to Neverland with Peter Pan, take a spin in a teacup or go under the sea with their favorite Little Mermaid.

Adjacent to Fantasyland will be Toontown, a wacky upside-down world where the beloved Disney characters live. Guests will be transported into a three-dimensional cartoon and meet one-on-one with Mickey Mouse. They will be able to stroll through Minnie’s house, climb aboard Donald’s boat or even zip through the wacky Toontown countryside on a whimsical roller coaster.

In Adventureland guests will begin a journey to exotic regions of exploration, adventure and discovery. Here guests will have the opportunity to venture into a wild untamed world and ride a roller coaster through a dark jungle filled with mysterious surprises. Guests might explore an ancient dinosaur archeological site, voyage to a whole new world on a magic carpet, or experience the wonder and music from such Disney classics as "The Lion King."

From Adventureland guests may want to travel on to the wild American frontier. In Frontierland, they will have the opportunity to experience the American Old West of the 1880s. Here guests might climb through a Wild West fort, take a frightfully fun trip through a haunted mansion and shoot the rapids on a daring river raft.

After a trip back to the Wild West the next stop will be the future -- Tomorrowland. Guests will have several exciting opportunities to choose from sci-fi fantasies and soaring space adventures. They will be able to journey to infinity and beyond as they join such popular Disney sci-fi characters as Buzz Lightyear to save the universe, blast off on a high-speed journey into outer space or even pilot their own spacecraft."

Back to your question: On page 130 of the recently-released Imagineering book there is a painting which shows the above-described version of the park, including all the Frontierland attractions (Fort, Mansion, Raft) and the dino coaster in Adventureland

• Cool Yule

^Page 66 of that book also has a unusual take on the park (called Disneyland Asia at that point). The unconventional layout shows a Thunder Mountain, probably akin to that in DLP. It also has Toon Town and EPCOT content in the "Land of Discovery".

I guess we can lament the loss of Frontierland, but then look on the upside that Grizzly Gulch will be a very unqiue take on the Frontierland story.

Walt Disney

• Banned User

...and frontierland and adventureland combined into one land. interesting.

Edit:

also it shows Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Fantasyland.
    Last edited by icepenguin77; 06-01-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    HKDL underwent an interesting development process, glimpses of which can be seen in early press releases and concept paintings & site plans (as found in hard-to-find books like "The Making of HKDL"). Some early iterations of the park were even smaller than what was actually built, with only 3-lands - putting things like a Star Wars stunt show and Indy coaster (from Paris) right next to each other in an Adventureland.

Back to your question: On page 130 of the recently-released Imagineering book there is a painting which shows the above-described version of the park, including all the Frontierland attractions (Fort, Mansion, Raft) and the dino coaster in Adventureland
    Thanks for the answer. Are you talking about the new "Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind The Dreams Look At Making More Magic Real"? That's great, because I have already ordered the book on Amazon, unfortunately shipping to Austria will take three weeks.

• Cool Yule

^It'll be well worth the wait, trust me!

Walt Disney