Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Summer Fun at HKDL (A Photo heavy TR)

The weather was warm and humid, and the crowds were lite. But it was a fun fun fun day at HKDL, the little park that can, with charming atmospheres and special summer entertainment and decor.

Stitch Summer Dance Bash takes to the street!

A Cool Leaky Tiki.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 06-25-2010 at 10:46 PM.

• Banned User

Re: Summer Fun at HKDL (A Photo heavy TR)

Below.. a look at Waterworks Parade, and some interesting character meet and greets in the castle forecourt.

Everybody wants to get wet during Mickey's Waterworks Parade. The Dry Zone is a Dead Zone as seen here.

Mickey's waterworks parade is one of the cutest and most fun Disney parades ever!

The crowds were lite today.

No, it was not Pride day at HKDL..

Last edited by TDLFAN; 06-25-2010 at 10:55 PM.

• Banned User

Night time over HKDL, and the park looks wonderful all lit up.

Take us home with you please.

The customary last look down Main Street before leaving the park.

The perfect cap of the day after a fun HKDL visit is to take a stroll down the Stars Walk of Fame by Victoria Harbour, and enjoy the spectacular night time Skyline of Hong Kong before calling it a day.

Thanks for the great pictures. The park is really beautiful and has so much potential. It just needs more great attractions. Hopefully the Grizzly coaster and Mystic Manor will pull in more people.
    I'm really sorry that this nice park gets TSPL. I'm glad that in Paris it is built in WDS.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Thanks for the TR, you always make great ones. You must have enjoyed HKDL a lot as seen from your comments since you're used to TDR top notch quality deal.

And did the TL area music sit well with you? I think its horrid beyond doubt.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    And did the TL area music sit well with you? I think its horrid beyond doubt.
    Agreed, the pop Disney hits are not appropriate for Tomorrowland. This is the type of crap that we are more used to from inferior parks like DHS at WDW. The whole idea of the "club" atmosphere and horrible TV equipment and cables all over the place simply ruin what is otherwise one of the best realized Tomorrowland atmospheres. I would pull the plug on that right away.
    Also, I must mention that over in the MTR Sunny Bay station, I heard Disney music now playing and I don't recall that being the case before... so while I waited for the DL Line to arrive, they were playing DLP's Le Visionarium theme song, and TDL's Fantillusion's Main theme. THAT put a smile on my face.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I'm really sorry that this nice park gets TSPL. I'm glad that in Paris it is built in WDS.
    Same here. I've warmed to it going to Paris as it will exist along side all the other Toon Studios attractions. A land within a land. But HKDL is better than TSL and I really think its going to ruin the views. Grizzy and Mystic on the other hand are perfect additions to this park. But what this expansion is really missing is a fun water ride. Perhaps WDI should of gone with an updated version of DCA's Grizzly River Run. Although the Coaster looks great.
    Last edited by Malin; 06-26-2010 at 12:40 PM.

• The Study of Wumbo

Nice pictures. HKDL looks awesome at night. WaterWorks looks great.

Hey, how often do you get Hunchback characters right down the road from Carl and Russell? That's weird...
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    Nice pictures. HKDL looks awesome at night. WaterWorks looks great.

Hey, how often do you get Hunchback characters right down the road from Carl and Russell? That's weird...
    This is part of the Stitch Summer promotion called "Meet new friends". These characters are lesser known to the chinese guests I'd suppose, reason why they are being highlighted at the castle forecourt during the summer season.

On other news... things I neglected to mention but you might be interested in knowing..
    Seems like management at HKDL is trying to please the western guests with more western snacks and food in some of the restaurants that usually featured asian choices. Example.. over at the Royal Banquet, they are now serving burgers, and seafood pizza among other asian delicacies like dimsum and noodles. In TL, the Flying Saucer Snacks is offering nachos with chili and cheese, and foot long hot dogs in wheat bread. APers are getting a free souvenir jigsaw puzzle when they present their Ap at the processing center. A special summer character trading card set is being given out by Cms around the park.. but if you want to complete the set, you have to ask several CMs and then hope that you can trade card with other guests in order to complete your set. Then buy the card holder at any of the shops. Over at the Jungle Cruise... the pirahna attack is inop. not sure if this effect has been deleted altogether. Anyone knows anything? Bad show over at IASW last week.. the entire finale set on the left side of the boat was inop and sitting still. Definitely a very bad show for guests, and personally? I would have closed the ride. I sure hope it's up and running again this week. Finally, over in Tomorrowland... guests who attain the highest scores while riding Astroblasters are being given a recognition certificate and these guests are invited to a small gathering in the late afternoon for a photo spot with Buzz and some lovely intergalactic gals in wacky space outfits. Astro-Orbiter was clsoed for refurbishing but should be opened by now. The Pin Trading tables in center street on Main Street have been removed, or at least, there is no CM there pushing Pin Trading as was the case before. Personally I think Pin Trading is dead in the water, and if WDW's removal of pins from some stores is indication (plus the removal of pin trading tables in their DTD Pin Store indicates) I think Pin Trading might be on the way to extintion.. not a moment too soon!!! One observation.. there were LOTS of indian families visiting the park on this day. I personally have never seen so many guests from India at HKDL before and I wonder if HKDL is advertizing in India. Last but not least, and certainly not related to HKDL at all... I have been seeing a lot of people with "Universal Studios Singapore" teeshirts, bags, umbrellas and hats in and around Hong Kong in the past few weeks.. Hmmm.. Obviously USS is getting some exposure via people who have been there recently.
    Almost forgot!! If you go to HKDL, use your Visa card and get the chance to win little souvenirs, like special Visa card holder exclusive sticker set. But you must purchase a minimun of HK$600 on one single receipt to receive the gifts.

And that folks is the update on this topic.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 06-28-2010 at 06:04 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    This is part of the Stitch Summer promotion called "Meet new friends". These characters are lesser known to the chinese guests I'd suppose, reason why they are being highlighted at the castle forecourt during the summer season.

On other news... things I neglected to mention but you might be interested in knowing..
    Seems like management at HKDL is trying to please the western guests with more western snacks and food in some of the restaurants that usually featured asian choices. Example.. over at the Royal Banquet, they are now serving burgers, and seafood pizza among other asian delicacies like dimsum and noodles. In TL, the Flying Saucer Snacks is offering nachos with chili and cheese, and foot long hot dogs in wheat bread. APers are getting a free souvenir puzzle when they present their Ap at the processing center. A trading card set is being given out by Cms around the park.. but if you want to complete the set, you have to ask several CMs and then hope that you can trade card with other guests in order to complete your set. Then buy the card holder at any of the shops. Over at the Jungle Cruise... the pirahna attack is inop. not sure if this effect has been deleted altogether. Anyone knows anything? Bad show over at IASW last week.. the entire finale set on the left side of the boat was inop and sitting still. Definitely a very bad show for guests, and personally? I would have closed the ride. I sure hope it's up and running again this week. Finally, over in Tomorrowland... guests who attain the highest scores while riding Astroblasters are being given a recognition certificate and these guests are invited to a small gathering in the late afternoon for a photo spot with Buzz and some lovely intergalactic gals in wacky space outfits. Astro-Orbiter was clsoed for refurbishing but should be opened by now. The Pin Trading tables in center street on Main Street have been removed, or at least, there is no CM there pushing Pin Trading as was the case before. Personally I think Pin Trading is dead in the water, and if WDW's removal of pins from some stores is indication (plus the removal of pin trading tables in their DTD Pin Store indicates) I think Pin Trading might be on the way to extintion.. not a moment too soon!!! One observation.. there were LOTS of indian families visiting the park on this day. I personally have never seen so many guests from India at HKDL before and I wonder if HKDL is advertizing in India. Last but not least, and certainly not related to HKDL at all... I have been seeing a lot of people with "Universal Studios Singapore" teeshirts, bags, umbrellas and hats in and around Hong Kong in the past few weeks.. Hmmm.. Obviously USS is getting some exposure via people who have been there recently.

And that folks is the update on this topic.
    Nice observations, I also noticed the sudden rise in Indian families at the park. It wasn't till April since so many started coming, maybe they're advertising there as you said or offering vacation packages of some sort. A very popular restaurant at Adventureland with the tastiest indonesian and Thai curries changed its menu to mostly Indian cuisine and i just flopped off my rocker on that move and the only patrons they get are Indians no duh. Along with the sudden rise in Indian families, theres also a rise in CM frustration as they have to stop the Indian families from price haggling. I've witnessed them arguing with CMs over price of merchandise AND food (e.g no coke with a curry).

The piranhas were working as of last week but im not sure why they've gone, JC has been a victim of losing some of its features from time to time (the elephant bathing in the waterfall was just still and the piranhas also disappeared many times as well). The IASW thing is a total letdown if that was the case, the ride should have been closed. And with the pins...you need to ask a CM for the trading thing in Center street and they usually assist you in some way (I saw some guy with a bunch of pins do so). But Pin trading isn't dead, I still trade with CMs and i've traded a few times with other guests as well, and also there are loads of pins available for purchase with new ones coming out often.

• Disney Fan & Musician

HKDL is such a charming park. It reminds me of old-school DL with a twist! Great report. HKDL and Hong Kong in general are beautiful.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• World Traveler

Wonderful TR! Thanks for sharing.

• You have much to learn...

TDLFAN, My friend had visited HKDL for the first time this past March- He was surprised that at one location, I'm not sure if it was in the park, or it may have been in the hotel- but he found & picked up a similar type of take home plate/mug that TDL has been doing for years.

Is this something new to HKDL, or have they been doing it for a while now??

Also, do you know if they have ever released any CD's of the music around the park- I do have the opening CD with One on it- but he couldn't find any other HKDL park specific Official Albums- most likely due to the comment earlier about a bad choice of background music in the park in general.

My friend came home with loads of photos as well, but many of his are really washed out- Is it way too sunny there to get good daytime shots- Yours came out pretty good though.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    TDLFAN, My friend had visited HKDL for the first time this past March- He was surprised that at one location, I'm not sure if it was in the park, or it may have been in the hotel- but he found & picked up a similar type of take home plate/mug that TDL has been doing for years.

Also, do you know if they have ever released any CD's of the music around the park- I do have the opening CD with One on it- but he couldn't find any other HKDL park specific Official Albums- most likely due to the comment earlier about a bad choice of background music in the park in general.

My friend came home with loads of photos as well, but many of his are really washed out- Is it way too sunny there to get good daytime shots- Yours came out pretty good though.

HKDL doesn't release any music albums or soundtracks or at least never since the first year of operation. About the shots, I use iPhoto to make my photos better but usually thanks to the gloomy weather at HK I dont have to alter my photos.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post

NO. HKDL does not feature collectible cups and plates like they do at TDR. Whatever he bought, must have come from one of the gift shops. I know they sell similar type of merchandise in their confectionary store, where candies and other edibles are sold.

What HKDLFAN said. There has never been a CD or video souvenir release at this park, except for the Grand opening Cd featuring chinese artists singing pop songs that are not really connected to the park's regular offering. I am hoping that the upcoming 5th anniversary will see the relese of a park album. Its long overdue.

I would not say that is it too sunny, especially at this time of the year when it rains a lot over South China. I have always found HKDL to be challenging to photograph because, in similar fashion to TDL, the sunlight always seems to come from behind the castle in the afternoon hours. Plus, most times, it's overcast weather. On this visit i was lucky to have moments of sunlight so that helped my photo taking, and keep in mind I am not a pro photographer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast