Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 550
  1. #196

    • Not here to help
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Hong Kong DisneySEA
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

  2. #197

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Why not a park based on Stories Myths and Legends or some other completely unique theme that would draw visitors from around Asia to the resort...

  3. #198

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    616

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Hong Kong DisneySEA
    That would draw so much comparison with Tokyo, I really don't see people wanting to go to it, when they can go to the original which is not really very far away.

    I will go for something called DisneyAir. Emphasis on all things aeronautical, tall and flies in air or space.

    Attractions include:

    Soarin'
    Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Iron Man roller coaster
    Goofy's Sky School
    Wall-E (dark ride)
    Up (hot air balloon rides)
    Aladdin's magic carpets
    Mission: SPACE
    Dreamflight
    ... and so on

  4. #199

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    LV-223
    Posts
    760

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    I was thinking something along the lines of Hong Kong Disney Adventure (not DHKA, it would make the theme too specific). The attractions would be what HKDL was meant to get but never got.
    - The massive Frontierland with the rapids ride and Mark Twain.
    - Pirates land if HKDL doesn't get it.
    - Glacier Bay
    - ToonTown
    - Indiana Jones, or Star Tours could make it in a Hollywoodland of some sort along with maybe one stage show or another attraction.
    - The electrical parade could perform here instead of HKDL.

  5. #200

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    414

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Wouldn't a HK DisneySea draw too much comparison with both Tokyo DisneySea and OceanPark?

    @Asa & HKDLFAN, what do locals want anyway?

    I understand OP has a deep nostalgic appeal to locals since it's been around since 1977, but what else is there to it?

  6. #201

    • Dreamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Switzerland where the REAL Matterhorn is
    Posts
    388

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    I don't now if Asians in general would visit an uber-American theme park - leave that to the Americans. With an oriental themed park they can incorporate anything from Aladdin's Agrabah to Mulan's Imperial City and in-between you have the mysterious lands of dragons and folklore.

    Shanghai Disneyland is already getting an "EastCOT" and an Animal Kingdom (which may have dragons in it as one would presume).

  7. #202

    • Not here to help
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    That would draw so much comparison with Tokyo, I really don't see people wanting to go to it, when they can go to the original which is not really very far away.

    I will go for something called DisneyAir. Emphasis on all things aeronautical, tall and flies in air or space.

    Attractions include:

    Soarin'
    Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Iron Man roller coaster
    Goofy's Sky School
    Wall-E (dark ride)
    Up (hot air balloon rides)
    Aladdin's magic carpets
    Mission: SPACE
    Dreamflight
    ... and so on
    DisneyAir... sounds like there could be DisneySoil or DisneyGas someday. It sounds more like a product than a park.

    If they build a DisneySEA... why would it be bad if people compared it to Japan. Isnīt that what people do with all the other parks all over the world? Isnīt that what this entire forum is about? to discuss differences and things going on in different ways in the parks. Ocean Park could be a problem... but people would realize that DisneySEA is always better if done with the same level of detail as in Tokyo.
    People compare HKDL with TDL by the way.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

  8. #203

    • Super
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    175

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Are there any hints about when Grizzly Gulch will be opening other than just '2012'?

    I'll be heading there in February next year... I'm sure it probably won't be ready then but it would be a nice surprise!

  9. #204

    • Dreamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Switzerland where the REAL Matterhorn is
    Posts
    388

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    If they build a DisneySEA... why would it be bad if people compared it to Japan. Isnīt that what people do with all the other parks all over the world? Isnīt that what this entire forum is about? to discuss differences and things going on in different ways in the parks. Ocean Park could be a problem... but people would realize that DisneySEA is always better if done with the same level of detail as in Tokyo.
    People compare HKDL with TDL by the way.
    The problem is, that HKDL is too close to TDL to have the same two parks. HKDL needs something unique to draw the necessary crowd to make up for their initial bad attendance.

  10. #205

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    50

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    I think that inevitably it's going to be a Studios-themed park, along the lines of DHS or WDS, since it can be built fairly cheaply ('why waste money on theming when you can just pour concrete?!?'), it can be built up gradually, most of its rides can be cloned and because there's no equivalent already in Asia. However it's the least interesting theme to me.

    I would like to see something completely new, ideally something that makes a feature of the waterfront location rather than hiding it.

    Failing that, I would think that they could do a clone of either Future World at Epcot or World Showcase (but with rides). I think either could work really well.

  11. #206

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    LV-223
    Posts
    760

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    Wouldn't a HK DisneySea draw too much comparison with both Tokyo DisneySea and OceanPark?

    @Asa & HKDLFAN, what do locals want anyway?

    I understand OP has a deep nostalgic appeal to locals since it's been around since 1977, but what else is there to it?
    A Hong Kong DisneySEA would in NO WAY draw comparisons to Tokyo's by the locals or Chinese mainlanders. As much as the park is loved by Disney fans, its relatively unknown to most people. Newspapers (on rare occasions the Tokyo resort gets mentioned) in HK always refer to TDR as TDL and TDS is never mentioned. A lot of my friends have been to Tokyo Disneyland but no one has visited Tokyo DisneySEA. Im certain HK DisneySEA would get welcomed without the brutal compare and contrasting that was done when HKDL opened.

    As for the locals, all they want is THRILL RIDES. That is why Ocean Park excels, because of thrill rides and a high attraction count (keep in mind the 50-60 attractions Ocean Park has are 30% comprised of stuff like talking trees, fountains and photo-spots. But the no. count is good enough to lure people away from HKDL). Despite TSL being horrid and all, it is good for the park because it offers 3 THRILL rides (be they cheap carnival ones or not).

    HKDL could be getting much better attendance scores than OP if it was doing well locally. It's thriving tourist-wise as opposed to OP, but the 27% of locals that visit the park is really poor. From the many opinion letters published in local newspapers, HK locals find better value from Ocean Park. A trip to Disneyland is something done once (or once every two years) a year whereas Ocean Park is a weekend favorite.

  12. #207

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,474

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    ORWEN: You may be right about the guests over there wanting more thrill rides, HKDLFAN, duckling. But us cauldron girls remember reading just the opposite when HKDL was originally planned. (Supposedly there were surveys done that claimed the locals in Hong Kong preferred taking pictures over thrill ride type attractions. But we don't claim to know what the hard facts really are about all this.) There are several trip reports we've read that claim Space Mountain has short lines while Winnie the Pooh has some of the longest. What are your thoughts on this?

  13. #208

    • Not here to help
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    A Hong Kong DisneySEA would in NO WAY draw comparisons to Tokyo's by the locals or Chinese mainlanders. As much as the park is loved by Disney fans, its relatively unknown to most people. Newspapers (on rare occasions the Tokyo resort gets mentioned) in HK always refer to TDR as TDL and TDS is never mentioned. A lot of my friends have been to Tokyo Disneyland but no one has visited Tokyo DisneySEA. Im certain HK DisneySEA would get welcomed without the brutal compare and contrasting that was done when HKDL opened.

    As for the locals, all they want is THRILL RIDES. That is why Ocean Park excels, because of thrill rides and a high attraction count (keep in mind the 50-60 attractions Ocean Park has are 30% comprised of stuff like talking trees, fountains and photo-spots. But the no. count is good enough to lure people away from HKDL). Despite TSL being horrid and all, it is good for the park because it offers 3 THRILL rides (be they cheap carnival ones or not).

    HKDL could be getting much better attendance scores than OP if it was doing well locally. It's thriving tourist-wise as opposed to OP, but the 27% of locals that visit the park is really poor. From the many opinion letters published in local newspapers, HK locals find better value from Ocean Park. A trip to Disneyland is something done once (or once every two years) a year whereas Ocean Park is a weekend favorite.
    Even a slightly smaller DisneySEA would wow visitors. It could be expanded later on. I think Hong Kong Disney has to go over the top on the next Disney park to remain as a competitor with Shanghai comming next. Ocean Park draws millions (but so does heroine) and is expanding.

    ...and let me just add... I have been to themeparks in many places of the world... Ocean Park is the worst I have ever visited.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

  14. #209

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    616

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Yeah, cloning the best second gate out there is the easy way out isn't it?

    Tokyo DisneySea is not promoted outside of Japan, because WDC does not want people flocking to it and make all other parks suffer by people comparing the other parks with it. Don't forget how expensive DisneySea is to build. WDC cannot afford to build DisneySea anywhere else and if they cannot build it in California or Florida, I doubt they will be able to build it in HK. If they built a cut price version of DisneySea in HK, what would people say? I can write it for you now: "A cheap remake. They tried to re-build the best park here but ran out of money."

    HK people loves the picture taking and so on at HKDL, but it still lacks rides. OK, Space Mountain is maybe a bit too thrilling, but where is Big Thunder Mountain? Where is Haunted Mansion? Where is Pirates of the Carribean? Where is Indiana Jones? Where is Star Tours? What is a teenage boy going to do in HKDL? Ride Space Mountain repeatedly until sunset?



    ---------- Post added 06-28-2011 at 10:30 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by mister_peterman View Post
    Are there any hints about when Grizzly Gulch will be opening other than just '2012'?

    I'll be heading there in February next year... I'm sure it probably won't be ready then but it would be a nice surprise!
    I think it might be testing by then, seeing that they already laid the tracks. I doubt they will open it so soon after TSL. I am pretty sure they will try to make its opening a big event during a quieter time of the year in order to boost crowd figures.
    Last edited by Asa; 06-27-2011 at 06:25 PM.

  15. #210

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    LV-223
    Posts
    760

    Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    If they built a cut price version of DisneySea in HK, what would people say? I can write it for you now: "A cheap remake. They tried to re-build the best park here but ran out of money."

    HK people loves the picture taking and so on at HKDL, but it still lacks rides. OK, Space Mountain is maybe a bit too thrilling, but where is Big Thunder Mountain? Where is Haunted Mansion? Where is Pirates of the Carribean? Where is Indiana Jones? Where is Star Tours? What is a teenage boy going to do in HKDL? Ride Space Mountain repeatedly until sunset?



    ---------- Post added 06-28-2011 at 10:30 AM ----------


    Timmy isn't alone. I would love to rant all day about how Ocean Park is the worst theme park in the world.

    A HK DisneySEA would not draw those kinds of comparisons because no one knows a lot about TDS apart from us Disney fans. Besides who said anything about cloning? The concept of DisneySEA is great enough for people to want to go there.

    I so agree with you that there is zilch for a teenager ( who make up a lot of OP's demographic) to do at the park except Space Mountain. There was literally no one in my school who liked HKDL because it's a "kiddy ride". But then again that's why the park is failing locally.

    @Witches - I remember making the same assumption that Winnie the Pooh is more popular than Space Mountain but ever since HKDL started getting much more people ( to the surprise of everyone it went past the 5 million mark in 2010) lines at Space Mountain have been quite high. In the few months before i left HK, I remember the usual 5 minute line for single riders jumped up to 20 minutes with the standard queue being 1 hour +. But HKDL could do with a few more dark rides in Fantasyland since Pooh is quite popular.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hong Kong Mega Bridge Helps HKDL by linking up Hong Kong with Macau and Zhuhai
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 03:05 AM
  2. Hong Kong Disneyland Awards Scholarships to 12 Hong Kong Students
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
  3. Contragulations Hong Kong! Hong Kong tops the chart for Economic Freedom again!!
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2006, 09:25 AM
  4. Attention all disney fans! Hong Kong New low-fare longhaul airline-> Oasis Hong Kong
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
  5. Hong Kong govt rejects request for details on Disneyland construction costs
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 01:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •